revolutionary war flintlock rifle

Here's a toy version that may be a good start. If you just want a fun costume, this seems like a cheap way to do it. I had one like this when I was a kid, it's too short to be a long rifle, but it's closer to musket size.

RIFLE, KENTUCKY LONG

Depending on how much money you have, a real, firing one might be better for reenacting. Most reenactments I've seen involve firing the guns with just powder to give the effect of an actual battle. With a pep made gun, you can't do that. I feel like you might put a ton of work into making a pep gun, only to find that it isn't good enough for reenacting.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the info. I looked at that kentucky rifle and read the reviews with people saying they received them broken, cracked, etc. Plus it looked too toyish. But thanks for searching for that for me. Im not interested in reenactments (yet), so an actual black powder is not a consideration. Even in kit form. I was looking for more of a full size realistic replica, just for looks. Thats why i asked if someone had a 3d cad model that i can pep with resin. I foubd a few on line, but they were horrible. But i really do appreciate the time you took to find those for me, and the information.

Honestly, if you have some woodworking skills, you can probably carve a decent one yourself... when I was a kid, I made a wicked nice Tommy gun that way.

Not exactly hard to mix the two up, both units were pretty much entangled together following the landings, as I'm sure you know; although it's just Easy (as in E, now Echo for the Army) Company, not EZ... just don't use the "puking buzzard" line on someone in the 101st haha!

Funny. That was gonna be my next guess. Lol. I was juat trying to figure out, if i bought the wood and carved it, would i be close to spending the money for the exact non firing obes by genix. Check it out. They are perfect replicas. I just didnt want to spend the $137.00

PS--as someone who was born and raised in Pennsylvania, I must object----it is the PENNSYLVANIA long rifle, not the "Kentucky". They copied it from us.

;)

EDIT: One of my ancestors on my mother's side is John Jacob Mickley, who was one of the guys who took the Liberty Bell from Philadelphia to Allentown. (I grew up in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area.)

Thats very cool lflank. Did you know that you are the 2nd person today that told me that about the Kentucky rifle? Of course both of you wsre from PA. Lol. Just life pizza was invented in new haven ct. But seriously, check out this exact non firing charleville from denix for about $150. I have to figure out my priorities as my company is threatening to close. But what rhe heck? You only live once.
Charleville Rifle with Bayonet

I know this thread died off. But I wanted to start it up again. I ended up buying a charleville rifle made by denix. With a few minor alterations it is incredibly accurate. Now I am working on an actual continental soldier outfit as seen in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6yHj7ZW-wI&feature=youtube_gdata_player . I found some very good patterns on line and purchased them. I really should have planned ahead because i realized "I suck at sewing". Any ideas, without going broke, from any of you patriots out there?

Hello, I am a Revwar reenactor, I do the 4th Massachusetts I have enough gear to do an impression from Lexington and Concord to Yorktown. Our uniforms are blue coats with white facings.

If you want to do a good uniform, you can buy fall front knee britches from Jas Townsend Co, for about $85. You will need gray knee stockings about $10, if you can sew I would recommend William Booth Draper you can get all the patterns and fabric you need to make everything. You don't have to buy colonial shoes I would just make a set of half gaiters and they will cover up a pair of modern smooth dress shoes.

For hats you will need a military ****** hat, unless you are doing an artillery unit, it should have white trim.

You can find some stuff on eBay, and there are a few yahoo groups dedicated to revwar reenactors selling unwanted items.

Hope this helps

Terry

I would try and see if there is a local group that may be able to help outfit you, my group has some loaner gear we let new people use until they can get their own equipment. Try and find local reenactments sometimes they have reenactor garage sales and you can get good stuff that is more correct.

Thank you Terry.
That is all excellent information.
Now I have a lot more sources.
Thank you very much!
When I was a child in 1976, I remember watching a battle reenactment at fort nathan hale (origionally known as black rock fort) in new haven ct. I now live on a well marked path of Washingtons troops path in wallingford ct. I only strengthened my resolve to learn as much as I could.

I grew up in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area.)

Me too! Miss the 'ole Lehigh Valley....grew up playing minute men, Union soldiers...everything we learned in American history. I miss all the Moravian beeswax candles and the ones we put in the windows at Christmas....sigh.

Great thread. The west coast has no idea about the rich American history... the sacrifice...other than Lewis and Clark there is little here (to me anyway)...

Can't wait to see more in this! Bravo.

you are absolutely correct. the west has forgotten or never been taught anything that had to do with the major beginnings of this country . the revolutionary war, war 1812,civil war (and i mean HISTORY. not the watered down crap that tells our young people that everyone that started this country was a scumbag. Its almost like they are trying to teach young americans to hate of loathe themselves). you dont get a feel for it, unless you can see where those battles happened. I live 200 feet from lyman halls homestead and grave. he was one of the signers of the declaration of independence. I can actually follow the footsteps of washingtons troops as they marched through my town in 1775 for supplies, and then again when he was president. I absolutely love those eras. they were deffinitely the wars that defined what this country would become. Man ! you are in seattle. my wife was there and said it was absolutely gorgeous. My only issue is washington seems to be a hoover to ex hippy liberals from californy. LOL

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back