Solo: A Star Wars Story

It’s amazing how one’s level of hate for Star Wars can be considered a legit quantification for being a big Star Wars fan.

(i.e. hating one trilogy, but loving another, etc)

It’s so odd to me that one can say I’m a Star Wars fan, and expend daily energy to making sure everyone knows they have that hate in them online... and I am not exempt from this, just observing.

I wouldn't say hatred more disappointment.
I had hope and excitement but like Charlie Brown too many times "All I got is a rock".

Nice to see Chewie getting some action (Wookiee on Wookiee I mean!)

Yay, Malla makes her first appearance since the Holiday Special! :)

Movie looks good, but the guy playing Han cant freaking act. Also, is anyone else bothered that they retconned Chewie to have actual hands? I hate it.

That's a mistake first made in TFA. Chewie must have them, but you should never, under any circumstances ever see a Wookiee's fingers, it's just weird!

This Chewbacca costume is better than those used in TFA and TLJ at least so that's something. My Star Wars isn't coming back to the big screen but I'm hoping for something fun and Star Wars-inspired.

I just sat down with my girls and watched the trailer. My wife said 'it looks pretty good but why didn't they get someone who looks and sounds like Han?'
My eight year old said 'that, is not Han Solo'
My four year old said 'is this Star Wars daddy?' The only answer I could give her was 'no darling'.

I just sat down with my girls and watched the trailer. My wife said 'it looks pretty good but why didn't they get someone who looks and sounds like Han?'
My eight year old said 'that, is not Han Solo'
My four year old said 'is this Star Wars daddy?' The only answer I could give her was 'no darling'.

Out of the mouths of babes.

And out of the mouths of children, too.

The Wook

Last edited:
I still get a kick out of all the comments from the anti-anti-AE folks. Cracks me up to hear people say "who cares if he doesn't look, act, or sound like the Solo we know". Really, c'mon! Han Solo is one of the most iconic, unique, and loved characters in cinema history, can you REALLY be mad at people who want a young Solo who, you know, acts, looks, sounds, and kinda resembles the Han Solo we love!

Look, I'll see this movie. But as of now, the magic and tingly feelings I get when I'm about to see a new Star Wars movie aren't there because I don't see Solo in this kid (and probably because I also feel I got kicked squarely in the balls by TLJ, but no time for that now.......). BUT, I am going to view this movie objectively because I know I can't and shouldn't judge on the little I've seen so far.

But if you're hating on the fact fans are having trouble accepting what we're seeing.........then maybe the magical world of movie making just means something more to me than it does to you. And that my friends is OK, I respect that some of you don't care, but you have to respect the fact that some of us do.

Remember... There were "thousands" of auditions and this guy was the best, right? :facepalm

original.jpg

I still get a kick out of all the comments from the anti-anti-AE folks. Cracks me up to hear people say "who cares if he doesn't look, act, or sound like the Solo we know". Really, c'mon! Han Solo is one of the most iconic, unique, and loved characters in cinema history, can you REALLY be mad at people who want a young Solo who, you know, acts, looks, sounds, and kinda resembles the Han Solo we love!

Look, I'll see this movie. But as of now, the magic and tingly feelings I get when I'm about to see a new Star Wars movie aren't there because I don't see Solo in this kid (and probably because I also feel I got kicked squarely in the balls by TLJ, but no time for that now.......). BUT, I am going to view this movie objectively because I know I can't and shouldn't judge on the little I've seen so far.

But if you're hating on the fact fans are having trouble accepting what we're seeing.........then maybe the magical world of movie making just means something more to me than it does to you. And that my friends is OK, I respect that some of you don't care, but you have to respect the fact that some of us do.

Exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I`m in no hurry to see this as there`s just no excitement about it for me and doubt very much that it will offend me as TLJ did as it has an established Director that is more than capable and comfortable with large scale productions without a personal agenda and a quality writer with a sound knowledge of the subject matter.

Disney's trailer guy needs a pay raise. They can take trash and make it look good. You got me with TLJ... not this time though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So you've been to the future, seen the movie and can confirm it's trash? Cool, can I borrow your time machine?

I do agree that TLJ was trash, but I actually had to see it before making that distinction.

Wow some of you need to chill. He's not going to be Harrison Ford. He's trying to be a version of Han Solo. Have any of you ever played a SW game? I don't think you could because NO ONE (other than Starkiller...) sounds like they are supposed to because of the voice actor. I'm still betting on these anthology movies being the only good SW we're going to get from now on.

I've been saying since the prequels that they need a Star Wars universe Western. This could be it.
Parts of Star Wars are already a Western.

Tatooine is the Frontier. Chalmun's Cantina ("Cantina" from Spanish) is a Saloon. Han Solo is a gunslinger. Sand People are Indians.
Anakin's mother was taken as a Squaw and held captive in a Tipi. Supposedly, when Anakin ambushed the Tusken camp there were compositions that had been copied from some old Western movie.

Han Solo is one of the most iconic, unique, and loved characters in cinema history

He may be iconic and loved, but Han Solo is far from unique in cinema. Just the opposite. The character of Han Solo is very common archetype. The pirate, the rogue, the scoundrel has been a character thats existed in all forms of story telling since the beginning. You're a Star Wars fan, so I'm sure you've read Joseph Campbell.

As for respecting differing opinions, thats one thing. Whats been going on in Star Wars fandom since TFA is another. Its not just on this board. Theres a really ugly element thats been brought to the forefront and I think thats what a lot of people are objecting to.

What are the chances of an opening crawl, and the Star Wars music over the closing titles?

ZERO %

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside: C3P0 and R2D2 have been in every Star Wars film. Even the 4 second cameo in R1.

Will this be the FIRST not to have them?

Parts of Star Wars are already a Western.

Tatooine is the Frontier. Chalmun's Cantina ("Cantina" from Spanish) is a Saloon. Han Solo is a gunslinger. Sand People are Indians.
Anakin's mother was taken as a Squaw and held captive in a Tipi. Supposedly, when Anakin ambushed the Tusken camp there were compositions that had been copied from some old Western movie.

Yes, all valid points. All of Tatooine really identifies as a Western frontier. Only thing missing is the cowboy hats :)

Perhaps I should have clarified a "Speggeti Western".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ZERO %

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside: C3P0 and R2D2 have been in every Star Wars film. Even the 4 second cameo in R1.

Will this be the FIRST not to have them?
That was one of my biggest groans in R1 too. Made no sense whatsoever! Essentially they knew where the hidden Rebel base was all along but didn't mention anything to Luke or Obi-Wan, LOL. Had they actually been captured, the Empire would have interogated them, melted them down, and ended the Rebellion in one swift stroke!

Hopefully Darth Kennedy learned from that mistake.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

He may be iconic and loved, but Han Solo is far from unique in cinema. Just the opposite. The character of Han Solo is very common archetype. The pirate, the rogue, the scoundrel has been a character thats existed in all forms of story telling since the beginning. You're a Star Wars fan, so I'm sure you've read Joseph Campbell.

As for respecting differing opinions, thats one thing. Whats been going on in Star Wars fandom since TFA is another. Its not just on this board. Theres a really ugly element thats been brought to the forefront and I think thats what a lot of people are objecting to.

Correct, there are common archetypes, but none have risen to the pop culture status as Han Solo. There’s a reason for that. That characters “uniqueness” is what sets him apart from the hundreds or thousands of other scoundrel, pirate “characters” who haven’t lasted, been remembered, or imitated the way he has in the last 40 years.

As for the AE argument, I agree the hatred and vitriol is unwarranted from those who haven’t even seen the film. But the argument for wanting the young Solo to reflect the character we have come to love is valid (especially when you consider there really isn’t much of an age gap between Solo and ANH, what, 5-10 years?). It’s not like Han was 70 in an ANH and we were left to guess. “gee, I wonder what he was like when he was younger”..........

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back