Building an Ark of the Covenant from our kit

What about the cherubs ? How do you attach them to the lid ?

They aren't attached on the prop, so I didn't attach mine. I just put a piece of felt on the bottom of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Stunning tutorial.

Thank you for the incredible effort you have put into this and into the kit offer - its sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards
MARK

Thanks for the kind words. Couldn't have done it without all the help I got and the guys at Blue Realm doing the heavy lifting making the parts.

philip

What a thread, what a kit, what an Ark! :eek

Congrats on finally achieving what many have wanted for years!!

Building an Ark shipping crate

Because I had to ship off the ark to get it sprayed gold, it needed a crate that would allow the pieces to travel without any chance of rubbing or wear on the parts.

This is what I ended up with.

ark-crate-01.jpg

Functionally, the ark box is supported on the bottom with spacers that keep the legs and box away from any part of the crate, or even any packing material inside. It is attached to those spacers through the bottom with lag bolts. The lid is turned upside down and screwed to a shelf inside from the bottom. That shelf is screwed to horizontal runners, the long flat leaves get bubble wrapped and attached to wood that is and screwed to the inside of the long crate panels, and the cherubs ride inside the box in bubble wrap. The thin piece that is used on the bottom of the lid is attached to the underside of the top for travel. There are felt pads under the legs and on the shelf.

The rattle can lines painted on the crate indicate the orientation of the removable top side and end panels, and which screws are used to allow that. The board on the top of the crate is there to make it less convenient for the shipper to place another pallet on top of this one because even when you specify no stacking, the carrier will do it anyway.

The overall dimensions are 48" x 32" x 30-5/8" high, plus the base risers. The risers are 3-5/8" high (but anything close is good) and that top brace is 2-1/4" high (but anything close is good). Keep in mind you shouldn't exceed the 48" x 40" dimensions of a standard pallet.

It's built from 3/4" plywood and some 2" x 2" material for the corners and assembled with drywall screws.

The top, one end and side are taken off to allow access for loading and unloading.

This isn't meant to be a project with dimensions or a cut list, but rather just a guide to show you how I did it in case you plan to ship yours as well.

philip

ark-crate-02.jpg

ark-crate-03.jpg

ark-crate-04.jpg

ark-crate-05.jpg

ark-crate-06.jpg

ark-crate-08.jpg

ark-crate-09.jpg

ark-crate-10.jpg

ark-crate-11.jpg

ark-crate-12.jpg

ark-crate-13.jpg

ark-crate-14.jpg

ark-crate-15.jpg

ark-crate-16.jpg

ark-crate-17.jpg

ark-crate-18.jpg

ark-crate-19.jpg

ark-crate-20.jpg

ark-crate-21.jpg

ark-crate-22.jpg

ark-crate-23.jpg

Last edited:
I probably missed it.

Is there a website for the EXACT guys you used for Cosmichrome ?

It's over in the classified section for the ark kit, but here it is:

My recommendation for a build is to have it gold chromed via the Cosmichrome process. The place that did mine is in Pennsylvania and called Coat of chrome. http://www.coatofchrome.com.

- - - Updated - - -

I probably missed it.

Is there a website for the EXACT guys you used for Cosmichrome ?

It's over in the classified section for the ark kit, but here it is:

My recommendation for a build is to have it gold chromed via the Cosmichrome process. The place that did mine is in Pennsylvania and called Coat of chrome. http://www.coatofchrome.com.

Bumping this! Having worked with the guys to build these, I gotta say it's one of the coolest prop replicas I've ever seen in person. If I only had the space for one... and a good face shield to protect from the melt factor.

This is great! The Ark is definitely on my to do list. The actual prop is currently at Disney's Hollywood Studios and I was able to get some pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 461
Hi Philip.

Any news about the carrying poles and the embroidered cloth sleeves for the completion of ark kit ?

Thanks.

Hi Philip.

Any news about the carrying poles and the embroidered cloth sleeves for the completion of ark kit ?

Thanks.

There isn't.

The status is the same as it's been for some time. Just waiting on me to dive into getting the sleeves sorted out, which was very frustrating when I last worked on it.

The poles themselves, we can run at any time.

pw

Philip!
This kit is stunning!!!! Well done!! Best propkit I have ever seen!! Well worth the money! Amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys!

I've begun my build with your kit, and though I have said it privately, I must say it publicly too - AMAZING! I was stoked just to pull the cherubs and cast parts out. Can't stop humming the Well of the Souls theme from Raiders. Anyway, I have the miters joined for the Mercy Seat (the top). I wanted to make sure as I am getting ready to make cuts in my MDF boards - from the pics it looks like the MDF boards are inside the top trim (the large mitered pieces) rather than on top of the large trim pices. Both top and bottom. Am I correct? Sometimes my eyes fool me. Thanks ahead of time! Just want to be sure before I start cutting and gluing.

By the way, the miters fit perfectly. The tutorial really helps.

Hey Guys!

I've begun my build with your kit, and though I have said it privately, I must say it publicly too - AMAZING! I was stoked just to pull the cherubs and cast parts out. Can't stop humming the Well of the Souls theme from Raiders. Anyway, I have the miters joined for the Mercy Seat (the top). I wanted to make sure as I am getting ready to make cuts in my MDF boards - from the pics it looks like the MDF boards are inside the top trim (the large mitered pieces) rather than on top of the large trim pices. Both top and bottom. Am I correct? Sometimes my eyes fool me. Thanks ahead of time! Just want to be sure before I start cutting and gluing.

We need pics.

Hey Guys!

The top and bottom mdf boards sit down in the notched edges of the large boards you have fit together. the notches should fit a 1/2" piece of mdf. So, yes, inside the mitered boards. The gap there between the mdf and the mitered pieces you'll want to fill with epoxy, till it's flat and has no bubbles.

The top and bottom mdf boards sit down in the notched edges of the large boards you have fit together. the notches should fit a 1/2" piece of mdf. So, yes, inside the mitered boards. The gap there between the mdf and the mitered pieces you'll want to fill with epoxy, till it's flat and has no bubbles.

Perfect! I just did a test fitting and it looks great. I have ordered the putty that you recommended for filling gaps and was planning on using that when it arrives tomorrow.

Sskunky I will post pics as soon as I get a chance. Not sure if you wanted them to help answer my question or if you just wanted build pics. I am going to start a thread on here for anyone interested.

Would you mind sharing how you cut the 45 degree angle on the edge (I'm assuming a table saw) but also leaving the 1/16" of the edge straight? Would you suggest making the 45 degree cut first and then making a rip cut along the edge to get the 1/16" straight section?

I'm referring to the short sides that attach to the legs, I thought when I was commenting that it would just post under that section. so the plywood end that goes into the leg at 45 degrees is what I am referring to.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back