The Twilight Zone (2019 Series)

DB537

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Production started yesterday on the new series of The Twilight Zone, to be released on CBS All Access in 2019.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/the-tw...rdan-peele-simon-kinberg-59-years-1202474946/

TZ2019.png

didn't they already "reboot" this back in the late 90's? I coulda swore they did and it bombed bad...

That was on UPN network in 2002, and you are right. It was pretty bad. There was also another version 1985-89 on CBS (and later syndicated), of inconsistent quality. Some episodes were really good but some were awful. I have a feeling that this version will turn out a lot better than the previous attempts to bring it back.

There is no replacing Rod Serling, but I still believe that a well-made modern Twilight Zone is possible. If this new version turns out to be a failure, we will always have the original series, but I really want to reserve judgement on this one until I can actually see what they do with it.

What made the original so popular was Rod's writing with the bizarre twist endings that left you in a calm shock. Though he was the perfect writer for this series, others have been equally talented in similar styles of writing and that is the secret for success in a reboot or The Twilight Zone.
During the original show, the costumes, sets, backdrops, props, everything was quite bad and cheaply thrown together. It was ONLY successful because of the writing. I'm concerned that they're just going to pretty it up with a lot of CGI and flashy sets.

Rod Serling WAS Twilight Zone, and there was only one of him and only one “Zone”, End of Story...... :unsure

Easily agreed.
He was a genius and frankly there has not been anyone like him since. Not even close.
He wrote a huge percentage of the series himself. The breadth of themes was very wide.
His war stories rang true, because he was in war himself.
Personally, I think TZ was and IS the greatest television series that has ever been.
And being a big TOS Trek fan I do not say that lightly.

Actually you guys couldn't be more wrong. While Serling wrote many of the episodes quite a few, and many classic episodes, were written by other writers, Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, George Clayton Johnson, etc.

And it was not a cheap show. It was actually quite expensive for it's time and had production values far exceeding most other half hour shows of it's time.

Highly recommend you check out "The Twilight Zone Companion",a comprehensive making of the original series as well as the remakes and film.

I'm looking forward to this new version and have high hopes for the series.

Sorry Bro but you are wrong on that one and here is why. ;)

Serling wrote 92 of the 156 Episodes THAT is the bulk of the series.

Without him and his fights with the network, the writers you mentioned would have had to find another venue to get their stories out they owe a huge debt to Rod.

No serious “Zoner” does not have at least one copy of the, “Companion” on their book shelves, I have given many copies to friend who I have helped discover the series

Actually you guys couldn't be more wrong. While Serling wrote many of the episodes quite a few, and many classic episodes, were written by other writers, Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, George Clayton Johnson, etc.

And it was not a cheap show. It was actually quite expensive for it's time and had production values far exceeding most other half hour shows of it's time.

Highly recommend you check out "The Twilight Zone Companion",a comprehensive making of the original series as well as the remakes and film.

I'm looking forward to this new version and have high hopes for the series.

Don't get me wrong. Serling was a genius and what I refer to as the writer's writer. He created the TZ and was a huge influence on the quality of the show. BUT... the opinions posted above ignore the contributions of other creative forces behind the camera. Other writers understood the zone format and wrote great stories. Again, many of them considered classics. There are certainly good writers today who can do the same.

Sorry Bro but you are wrong on that one and here is why. ;)

Serling wrote 92 of the 156 Episodes THAT is the bulk of the series.

Without him and his fights with the network, the writers you mentioned would have had to find another venue to get their stories out they owe a huge debt to Rod.

No serious “Zoner” does not have at least one copy of the, “Companion” on their book shelves, I have given many copies to friend who I have helped discover the series

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one my trek loving Brother :thumbsup

Again with out Rod there would have been no Zone and all the reboots since have fallen flat.

Beaumont Matheson and G C J are indeed genius in their own right though and their episodes were some of the best of the series

Don't get me wrong. Serling was a genius and what I refer to as the writer's writer. He created the TZ and was a huge influence on the quality of the show. BUT... the opinions posted above ignore the contributions of other creative forces behind the camera. Other writers understood the zone format and wrote great stories. Again, many of them considered classics. There are certainly good writers today who can do the same.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back