Predator Costume for my 10yr old - Con photos!

Re: IndieFilmGeek 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - My Daughter as Predator - Con phot

Dude.... Jus phenomenal!! i need to get back to my build. lol ur work is truly inspiring.

Re: IndieFilmGeek 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - My Daughter as Predator - Con phot

Simply incredible!

Thanks, Art! That means a lot! :$

ugameenough, you DEFINITELY need to get to work on that costume! I can't wait to see how it turns out! :):thumbsup

One more picture my pal, Jim Rogers, took of Tia after trick-or-treating last week.

8162227981_e5f295993c.jpg

just awesome!!!!!! your kids are very lucky!

you never cease to amaze. great work!!

This really is incredible work. I'm picking up some foam this weekend to give a foam build a try. I think you've provided the inspiration for my first attempt!

This really is incredible work. I'm picking up some foam this weekend to give a foam build a try. I think you've provided the inspiration for my first attempt!

Cool! I can't wait to see what you create!

If you run into any trouble PM me (or post here) and I'll be more than willing to help you out any way I can. :)

Thanks, man. I really appreciate the offer. At first glance, it looks like you used floor mat foam for most of the build, and then thinner stuff for detailing, correct? Do you have links to the pep files you used?

Thanks, man. I really appreciate the offer. At first glance, it looks like you used floor mat foam for most of the build, and then thinner stuff for detailing, correct? Do you have links to the pep files you used?

I actually used Craft-Store foam for most of her build - but for some parts I dipped into my sacred stash of REALLY nice EVA foam from Wandy Foam - this foam is the smoothest, easiest to work with foam I've ever found. Unfortunately, it looks like this ebay shop has closed, so I'm trying to be VERY selective of where I use it these days.

I also vary the thickness of the foam I used per function, so I'll use 4mm-5mm foam for things like the grieves. I used 5mm-6mm Wandy Foam for most of the of the gauntlets. The chest is all craft foam (it's a composite of three layers of 3mm foam - which gives it that layered-stepped look at the lower edge of the chest piece). The helmet is Wandy Foam again - cause I really wanted that to be a 'keeper' long after the costume didn't fit her any longer. :)

I don't use auto mats as a rule (they're just not closed-cell enough for me - not smooth enough). But I did use two pieces of VERY thick auto mat for the top of her bracers. That's the only appearance of auto mat foam in the build.

The pep files I found were on The Hunter's Lair.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions - just ask! This community has helped me out a BUNCH, the least I can do is offer the same help to others! :):thumbsup

Just wanted to say thank you for threads like these i followed this and a guy on youtube “evil ted” and ad-libbed a bit. Did all my temates by hand with evil teds techniques

https://youtu.be/c1qb0XK8uLo

Hope you like it and again thanks soooooo much for sharing posts lime this

Very cool! I love the shoulder cannon! lol

I'm happy you found the thread helpful. I certainly use techniques, tools and materials I've learned about from theRPF on every build I make. I sincerely love this community and appreciate both the skill and artistry as well as the patience and openness our members share here.

Keep building - Keep sharing! :)

This is what I love about the RPF and the maker movement in general. So few people can make anything these days. Let alone something like this.

It might seem trivial to make a Halloween costume, but it takes a Hell of a lot of skill.

I envy your daughter, growing up with this mind set.

Re: IndieFilmGeek 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - My Daughter as a Predator

I'm overwhelmed by all the kind words and comments! You guys (and gals) are all SO talented... it's just a thrill for me to be able to share with you my projects! :$

I should probably post the rest of the build....

Let's start with two quick pieces: shoulder bells and bicep armor

For the shoulder bells, I just cut out template pieces and then glued them together so they curved into the correct shape.
8060913795_c5dbf22ac5.jpg

Then these were painted and weathered before I attached them to the chest armor (as described on the first page).

For the upper arm armor, I wanted to get a sharper corner look. So, after I cut the template pieces out, I used my dremel with a stone bit and 'scored' the back side of each piece where I wanted it to sharply bend.

I then applied hot glue along the 'scored' groove and bent the piece - holding it until the glue dried and held the shape of the sharp angle. I did this for all of the pieces for both arms and them glued them together.
8060912623_fc23d24940.jpg

Here is the good shot of the score lines and the finished shape...
8060912019_d2b284c324.jpg

Then these got plasti-dipped, hit with adhesive promoter and painted with the hammered steel paint.
8060783002_31e318e070.jpg

Then I weathered them and glued two bands of black elastic straps to them so they will stay in place.
8060778643_3200b6ea4a.jpg

Next up is the Belt...
I used to have the PDF files for the shoulders, groin, etc. Lost them on a hard drive failure. Is there any way you can share them? Regards,

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back