GotG2 Baby Groot - for my 7yr daughter - con pics!!!

Re: WIP: GotG2 Baby Groot - for my 7yr daughter

I'm working quickly now, as there is a local convention coming up the first weekend of Oct that I'd like to get my daughter to! :)

Here is a look at the top of the Groot head. This just sits on a ridge of foam I made, so I can simply take it off and get to the helmet, eyes and other internal things.

36503237894_a19d6242be_z.jpg

I then carved it up with my dremel and got it to look fairly decent... this isn't seen from the front.
36528508363_26448f7c89_z.jpg

I also am continuing to work on testing out the painting method I'll be using for this head. This week I tested the green coloration for the top edges of the head, along with the mossy texture (in this case I'm using 'green dust' most commonly used for creating the illusion of grass on model train scenes).
36943717330_ddaaf649b7_z.jpg

I've also worked on the eyes... I tested ALL kinds of paint and gloss coatings, but this is final combination I landed on. That's model paint (gold blended to light brown) applied on the OUTSIDE of the clear plastic ornament. Then I got this 'wet look' clear coat that provides a very very glossy look. Finally, I blacked out the back with fabric I had.
36943669260_1ebdcb1a08_z.jpg

It resulted in this look...
36528541683_fc6a10f1f3_c.jpg

My mother also has completed the basic jumpsuit sewing and mailed it back to me for detailing. I'll have an update on that soon!

I also am continuing to work on testing out the painting method I'll be using for this head. This week I tested the green coloration for the top edges of the head, along with the mossy texture (in this case I'm using 'green dust' most commonly used for creating the illusion of grass on model train scenes).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4417/36943717330_ddaaf649b7_z.jpg

Question are you dusting it on during the paint process? (using the paint as the adhesive) or did you get the scenery glue (spray stuff) that the model train guys use...or something different IE Flex bond/Modge Podge?

Just wondering as I will soon be entering this same process myself on my Groot.

Also good luck on making the Con deadline! It's looking Awesome!

this is going to be epic!
hope you wont be rushing on it despite the deadline. the details now are amazing, please continue that for the rest!
:thumbsup

Question are you dusting it on during the paint process? (using the paint as the adhesive) or did you get the scenery glue (spray stuff) that the model train guys use...or something different IE Flex bond/Modge Podge?

I used scenery spray glue for this test, but it seems pretty weak. I need to see if it will hold up to bumping around - as normal train model sets don't usually see that kind of wear and tear. :)

I may also test generic craft spray adhesive to see it that works better.

I'll update the thread when I get another test done. :)

I used scenery spray glue for this test, but it seems pretty weak. I need to see if it will hold up to bumping around - as normal train model sets don't usually see that kind of wear and tear. :)

I may also test generic craft spray adhesive to see it that works better.

I'll update the thread when I get another test done. :)

Cool yeah I had not tried it yet but having used the spray before I had the same concern so I was considering a light coat of flexbond over it it seal/protect it while it might detract a little from the look at least it would have some durability

Cool yeah I had not tried it yet but having used the spray before I had the same concern so I was considering a light coat of flexbond over it it seal/protect it while it might detract a little from the look at least it would have some durability

Is the clear-coat Flexbond flat (matte finish) or glossy?

I really want to keep the Groot Head as matte as possible... but some of the fabric paint I'm using already adds some gloss, so I'm really hunting for something that won't make it any glossier than it already will be. :)

I was also thinking of trying something like this: $6 at Hobby Lobby
706978_1[5].jpg

Is the clear-coat Flexbond flat (matte finish) or glossy?

I really want to keep the Groot Head as matte as possible... but some of the fabric paint I'm using already adds some gloss, so I'm really hunting for something that won't make it any glossier than it already will be. :)

I was also thinking of trying something like this: $6 at Hobby Lobby
706978_1[5].jpg

yeah it's glossy - so far I have only been using it on the raw foam and then painting over it with Angelus Leather paints with about 8% duller mixed in to flatten it out.
That might work just test it cause some of the spray ones like that tend to give a milky haze...another option might even be a very high grit sandpaper our scouring pad and just do a very light sanding job to dull the finish.

This is so exciting, it's looking amazing!! I tried being Groot about 3 years ago with my 2 year old being Rocket. I failed miserably on the Grood-end (I even had a foam latex prosthetic, but could not deliver on time with the Body Suit). It is now my (now 5 y/o) kid's turn to be Baby Groot and I've already started with the body. Any chance you could share the PDO so I can trace it on to EVA Foam templates? I just NEED to make this happen :D

Last edited:

This is so exciting, it's looking amazing!! I tried being Groot about 3 years ago with my 2 year old being Rocket. I failed miserably on the Grood-end (I even had a foam latex prosthetic, but could not deliver on time with the Body Suit). It is now my (now 5 y/o) kid's turn to be Baby Groot and I've already started with the body. Any chance you could share the PDO so I can trace it on to EVA Foam templates? I just NEED to make this happen :D

Thanks for the message! I'm speed building this (and my son's Falcon costume) for Halloween, so I haven't had much time to work up the templates, but I really do want to get those posted on this thread in the next week. They will likely be pretty rough, but at least it will give folks a starting point for their own builds!

I've also been asked for material lists for the build...

I'm using EVA floor mats for the head and the feet will be 5mm craft foam.

I'm using a stone grinding tip on my dremel for all the wood-grain texture - just using the top edge of the cylinder-shaped stone tip.

Then the finishing process I ended up using is:
  1. Use a heat gun to pre-seal the foam
  2. Plasti-dip to fully seal the foam
  3. Beige fabric spray paint (I found this at Hobby Lobby)
  4. Dark brown fabric paint - applied thoroughly and then wiped off with paper towels to reveal the highlights from the Beige coat
  5. Black-wash - applied in the cracks and low-points and then wiped off with a paper towel to reveal the last two brown layers of paint
  6. Paint on the detail coloring (in this case the mossy area)

37288917781_c62cc1651f_z.jpg

This weekend, I got a lot done...

I started work on the feet. I started with a duct tape model of her lower leg and some thrift-store shoes and added 5mm craft foam to make the feet.
37288920411_ce9d30091e_z.jpg

Then I dipped some string in wood glue and added that to the feet for some details. Followed by plasti-dip.
37449801745_9a96203770_z.jpg

I then painted this with a coat of beige fabric spray paint and then brushed over that with some darker browns...
37259580122_964ea06b16_z.jpg

Finally, hit this with a black-wash and painted the vines in for detail.
37057437400_6b026e1971_z.jpg

The Jumpsuit... So, to catch you up, you probably know that we have a foam under-suit, that gives my daughter's thin body the properly-scaled size for the head.

We've modified this quite a bit over time, but here is what it looks like now (with the left foot on):
37259582262_d3e093ba08_z.jpg

My mother created the basic jumpsuit and mailed it to me so I could add the details. She did a GREAT job, as always. Working from reference pics, she modified a kids jumpsuit and added a few very nice details from the reference shots. The ribbing around the sleeve/shoulder area, collar and some of the fabric loops, all came out great!
36557746434_07d34b3e93_z.jpg

The first thing I did was to sew the alternative fabric onto the suit. There is a sort-of-leather-ish material down the leg (where the lacing will be), and also the same fabric is used on the left breast of the suit.
37431613785_d7ebccc452_z.jpg

Then the biggest project is the front flap that houses the zipper. This will be fake and over-sized. She'll actually has a hidden zipper on the back to use to get in and out of this. Here is a mock-up of where that flap will be.
37012075310_f7191783e3_z.jpg

And here is my overly pinned fabric prior to my poor attempt at sewing. :)
36642197133_edb8828ceb_z.jpg

And finally, here is what it looks like so far... LOTS of work still to do!

37282394382_0bbcd5bf46_z.jpg

done wrong this costume would be just another kid trick and treating,...but man you guys knocked this out off the park!!!!!! amazing work truly amazing.

As I said before and I'll say it again: I love the detailing on the bark; looks realistic and all the right colours.
Thanks for sharing this build and the list,Indie

its looks awesome, I too am working on something or at least im trying to for my lil mans halloween. Mega against the clock and have got next to nothing done, and I am going full baby groot body, no jump suit well at least thats the plan!!!!

Can I ask where yo located the pepakura files?

thanks

Can I ask where yo located the pepakura files?
thanks

Unfortunately, I don't have permission to post the pep file. I bought a low-poly model and then cut off the head and unfolded. From the printed pep, I made my foam templates.

So, while can't sell or post the pep file of this 3D file, I will gladly post my templates. I will just need to find time to transfer the physical templates to printer-friendly pdf files. :)

Hopefully it's something I can do in the next week.

Whooot:eek! I'm slapping myself silly to have missed that wonderful thread!! This is a fantastic costume:cool Keep up the great team work (thanks Mother;))

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back