Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Update
I've now sent the brow linkage LTRS off for the final time to be photo etched
as I've had no other criticism back for any alterations, only likes, I'm thinking that all that are watching are happy with the final design, the lettering was the hardest thing to get right and with plenty of input I have received ( thanks chaps ) I think we nailed it
I will post a pic when they return
IMG_0451.JPG

These parts are finally off to my "laser cousin" to be test cut for sizing and overall look
IMG_0500.JPG

1-4 linkage will be sent at a later stage to the photo etchers when the final shape and size has been confirmed, but I must say," it's looking rather good "

IMG_0550.PNG

Seems like you're on a roll ... what's next? :)

Chaïm
working on these while I wait for things to come back, mainly the rods for the cogs I've not touched my lathe for a while
IMG_0585.PNGIMG_0586.PNG
Also a bit of custom saber work
Oh and GOTG Awesome mix tape and gift box for my boys
and if I've got time I want to draw up these
IMG_0587.PNG

I've had my latest pieces back
IMG_0597.JPG
I'm not convinced over the pincers, I've scaled them from pictures and they look as they should placed over the picture, maybe it's because I've seen so many different variations in look and size that seeing this to scale is just deceiving my eyes.

The face/fork linkage looks good all I need now is someone with an accurate mask I can send one to for proofing and criticism, then I can readjust then send to the photo etchers for the 1-4 to be etched and I have just one person in mind, as he is currently building a screen accurate mask that I will be using. sskunky if your willing to help out

Last edited by a moderator:
A very annoyed Update !!!

ive had a message back from the photo etchers and they can't make the lettering any thinner than my first attempt

this is my first attempt, please note the lettering has been altered ( size and spacing ) for my second attempt, but you get the idea of how thick it will be.
IMG_0616.JPG
Ive sprayed 1 coat of primer on the old attempt to see if it looks any better, maybe another couple of coats might look better before the top coat
But I won't be having them cut as yet unless everybody is happy with this width of lettering, as I'm not spending money on them to sit in a scrap pile and find they are not good enough to use.

input needed please gents, as these won't be going any further until another idea for the LTRS comes my way

How about laser etching? Is that an option? I've seen it done in wood and depending on the width of the laser it can be rather thin :)

Chaïm
Tried it, can't get it deep enough, it only marks the surface, any hotter and it will burn through and melt the edges, :(

Tried it, can't get it deep enough, it only marks the surface, any hotter and it will burn through and melt the edges, :(

What is with your metal casting plans?I think if you would cast them in aluminium they would be perfect.The master could you make out of plastic..and into plastic you can laser deep enough with perfect lines.

These are metal and laser cut not castings, going down the road with plastic first then cast in ally isn't the way I even thought about going, but it another route I could go down if all other routes stop at a dead end, thanks Mark

ive sprayed another couple of coats of primer onto the part, rubbing each layer down as I go, gently filling in the lettering, it might work, being so small in the first place I'm not even sure it will be noticeable
spoke to another chap today about having them engraved, but a little bit heavier than the first attempt (way back before photo etching ) was on my list, but cannot guarantee the same screen look font :(
IMG_0626.JPG
Here they are with a couple of extra coats of primer, more to add

Just having a look at these and having a play around
IMG_0044.PNG
Made the disc 24mm
image.jpg
Can anybody confirm the measurements for the rubber discs
ive got this
image.jpg
I've just got some hole punches various sizes, pure rubber glue, some strips of 1mm thick rubber ( un-cured ) ready for cutting and forming, them my nephew will take them to his works and cure them
i just need some confirmation on the sizes
image.jpg
At the moment I'm just playing with this and might go down a differen route in making these, but as my nephew works with this stuff I thought I would try a few ideas out first

Just having a look at these and having a play around
View attachment 738414
Made the disc 24mm
View attachment 738415
Can anybody confirm the measurements for the rubber discs
ive got this
View attachment 738416
I've just got some hole punches various sizes, pure rubber glue, some strips of 1mm thick rubber ( un-cured ) ready for cutting and forming, them my nephew will take them to his works and cure them
i just need some confirmation on the sizes
View attachment 738421
At the moment I'm just playing with this and might go down a differen route in making these, but as my nephew works with this stuff I thought I would try a few ideas out first
7 days later and nobody can confirm any sort of measurements !!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back