Iron Man MkIV: Foam costume in 8 weeks for a 13yr old... Can I do it?

I possibly should have sealed the floor mat EVA and craft foam parts as they have sucked up the paint, but the main build being from the cheap yoga mats doesn't really need this - it's already got quite a plastic like surface to it and I can't really imagine what difference the sealing would have done, other than take more time (which I haven't got) and possibly help to smooth the surface of the mats. I'll see how it goes and holds up - only has to really last a few hours for one night - plus it will be fairly dark as the party is being held outside in a garden pavilion, so I'd expect that lighting will not be massively bright. Sheesh... all this work for a few hours !

Last edited:
Another update - glorious sunshine so far this weekend so I'm back out in the garage laying down the 2nd coat of red Rust-Oleum paint
P1000816_zpsqc4qd91a.jpg

P1000818_zps5x00ndvk.jpg

Have also finally got the finger armour finished and started to paint these
P1000814_zpsbik8wb6s.jpg

and on the paint production line...
P1000815_zpseg6tceel.jpg

(I forgot to label them before painting, but luckily i could still make out which finer was which, so have since added stuck on some masking tape and added a label for each finger - the thumbs are obvious though...)

Oh and as promised, here's the cycling gloves I picked up for a pound and that I'm using to pad out the palm / hand armour...
P1000812_zpsmqbwoilq.jpg

P1000813_zps9koxdup1.jpg

Thanks indiefilmgeek & George

So... the night has arrived and we officially unveil the Iron Man mk IV armour... Feeling tense - did a test fit last night and made some minor adjustments as the suit was looking a little large in some areas. Have also made adjustments to the hands and finished them up, threw out the cycling gloves as they were making the gloves to difficult to wear for my lad. Electrics finished though for the hand repulsors. I also cut up an cheap pair of mirrored sunglasses and stuck the lenses in the eyeholes (didn't have time to add LEds here...

Paintjob is holding up - some of the edges have flaked slightly but nothing show-stopping... No real cracking though which is good news (especially when compared to my Stormtrooper costume - that's turned into a bit of a nightmare...)

Pictures to flow once we get him suited up.

Oh and had a count back - this has been a 10 week build, not 8 week... Probably too quick really as I've cut a few corners, but I've learnt a huge amount along the way and will learn from my mistakes (and shortcuts - that is don't take shortcuts!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back