WIP: Foam Hulkbuster for my 7yr old - Lots of Con Pics!

Re: WIP: Foam Hulkbuster for my 7yr old - 10/15 Arm Pics

FANBOY EXPO - KNOXVILLE:

With Boba Fett (an AMAZING Fett costume btw!)
22069900248_a948462856_z.jpg

With Captain America!
22244834012_fa9cb06e6f_z.jpg

With Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon...
22070783729_7caa743cd2_z.jpg

With the Dark Side...

21634891164_ee2fa6133d_z.jpg

...and the droids they were looking for!
22244833012_bf3c2bd6ea_z.jpg

And finally, he won FIRST place in the kid's costume contest! :love
22231555356_6c2ea938b2_z.jpg

Re: WIP: Foam Hulkbuster for my 7yr old - Con Pics

Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! Glad he won too. I'm sure it will be a blast on Halloween too. Well done!

Thank God....I'm not the only one crazy enough to put their kid in an Iron Man suit that will only fit him for a year or so.

Amazing work!!!

The suit your working on looks great. Did you get it painted and finished up? I'd love to see a pic of how it turned out. Feel free to post it here if you want! It's been 5 years now since I built my last Iron Man kids costume (MKIII for my then 5yr old).

Congrats! Awesome work. Makes me want to start building in foam.

You TOTALLY should. It's inexpensive and easy to work with - no risk at all to try! :thumbsup

Finally got the workshop cleaned up after the appocolyptic mess I had created while speed-building for the con last week.
22160150890_a0504530bb_z.jpg

I also started work on the bracer weapons/armor for the Hulkbuster's forearms (a piece I skipped for last weekend).
22322162796_217f92eea8.jpg

I'm building them both at the same time...
22161007839_2a09c440e2_z.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to finish them up tonight and get some plasti-dip on them. Then paint them gold tomorrow and mount them on Friday. I'd also LOVE to get some of the top half of the suit weathered this week... but we'll see how much time I have.

We have Marble City Con on Saturday and a city-wide Halloween event on Sunday, so the Hulkbuster will be out and about this weekend! :)

Got the arm pieces plasti-dipped last night and painted today...
22415390095_4e3dd743f7_z.jpg

And since I can't help myself, I went ahead and weathered these two pieces before adding the velcro to attach them to the forearms.
22424731285_ccffd1614e_z.jpg

The other area I wanted to work on was the area directly under the helmet. As we walked around the con, I could see just a bit of my kiddo's head peeking out above the masking I had built to hide his face. So, I added a bit more black fabric, but also wanted to add the two 'pistons' that are visible under the front of the helmet.

So, to match the flexibility of foam, I used insulation filler to make two flexible 'pistons'. I plasti-dipped them and then painted them silver,
22382484256_674c7ff360.jpg

After weathering them a bit, I glued them into place...
21801997344_a8ed4991cd.jpg

We have a convention that we will attempt to hit tomorrow... but we're staying flexible. My other son has a lot of special needs and this is a VERY rough season for him. It means we keep plans pretty fluid so we can adjust to his needs. Fingers crossed, things are going smoothly enough to let us sneak out to the con tomorrow. :)

Re: WIP: Foam Hulkbuster for my 7yr old - Additional Work

excellent idea for the flexible pistons. I've been looking for something to add to under the helmet that wont block my view, that will be perfect. Great idea!

Since you asked, yes I finished my Son's Mk 43 suit. I did not build it, it was built by someone else, but I did do all of the finishing work which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately he hates wearing it and does nothing but bitch about it when it's on. He did wear it for a couple of hours at SDCC which is where this photo is from. The drawback of living in San Diego, while we do have a lot of comic conventions out here, it's usually 80 degrees or higher. We need a con where it's about 60 degrees outside.

At this point I'm really hoping to get at least one REALLY good photo of us together in our IM / Cap suits so that I can print it on a big canvas and get it autographed at the Civil War premiere in Hollywood next year. ;)

11709602_969853693079223_7520846862485347547_n.jpg

indiefilmgeek: great looking ajustments to the costume :thumbsup I hope you and your son can visit the Convention tomorrow,and wish your family all the best and means for your youngest.
cofphoto: awesome snapshot ! :thumbsup I keep my fingers crossed for the desired photo

Last edited by a moderator:

Totally understand about kids not wanting to wear the full suits. The way I have always thought about my kid costume builds (even for my first Iron Man for the 5yr old), is that the building process is TOTALLY for me. I love learning and building these. I feel like it's a bonus if they love wearing them as much as I loved making them! :D

On Saturday, we hit our local Marble City Mini-Comicon event! Jakim competed in the Intermediate category rather than with the kids as there were a lot of cute smaller kids at the event and he wanted to let one of them win that category. So even with adult competition, Jakim won the Intermediate top prize and was thrilled!
21871342193_2dea4d4aa1_z.jpg

Best of all we got to meet his rival...
22503586361_cce4511127_o.jpg

We had some photography done with the two of these costumes, so when I get those back I'll post them.

We also ran into some folks from Adventure Time!
21871342383_a95747bf43_z.jpg

Then on Sunday, we hit our city-wide Halloween event downtown. Thousands of kids were there and some GREAT unique costumes (include a fish aquarium and awesome Doc Octopus). Jakim was THRILLED to win the top prize!

22466523266_fba5e7c198_z.jpg

One of the things in the prize package was tickets to Disney on Ice, which he will be attending with his little sister this week!
22466523006_d755c65666_z.jpg

Overall a VERY fun weekend!
22466523346_22c86f6ede.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back