The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

I started working on mine. Decided to play with electroplating it after watching a youtube video on electroplating 3d printed pieces. I had to stop the project because I moved & my new place has projects that take priority. Here is a couple pictures. The faceplate is removable. Hope to get time to finish it soon. View attachment 823693View attachment 823697View attachment 823695

Looking pretty cool. almost antiquesh......did you chrome and gold electro....it look a lot like dull aluminum....

Looking pretty cool. almost antiquesh......did you chrome and gold electro....it look a lot like dull aluminum....

I left off on copper process. Learned that the metal builds up. Starts off faint. Keep going over it till you are happy with it. At first I thought I was doing it wrong & started over. After the copper there is another step for the nickel.

When you have time, can you please go into more detail on how you did it? I think I was following same tutorials as you and I did a couple test pieces and just couldn't get the plating to go down. I got a tiny amount of copper, maybe like 3% coverage, and that was it.

When you have time, can you please go into more detail on how you did it? I think I was following same tutorials as you and I did a couple test pieces and just couldn't get the plating to go down. I got a tiny amount of copper, maybe like 3% coverage, and that was it.

I followed the youtube video https://youtu.be/ilWst2zq-D4 & bought the items he recommended. The guy does say that he was going to watch episodes of Lost. Meaning it takes a LONG time to build the copper. Starts off faint. The more you go over it, the more it covers. You will need lots of patience. It is a slow process. I'm very happy with how the back of my helmet turned out. It took over 6 hours to get that much copper on it.

So did you do the same thing, sanding the shield paint with 800 to 2000 grit sandpaper? I tried that and also tried steel wool and neither result allowed more than about a 3 mm diameter spot of copper to appear after as much as ten minutes of plating.

I was having the same issue when I sanded the parts. At the end, I lightly sanded them to get the results. Didn't use the 800 grit I used 1500 grit.

How much of the can of paint/how many cans of paint did you have to go through for the helmet? Did you have to do a bunch of coats and sand it down a lot to get a smooth finish? Sorry for all the questions, but I thought the plating option was no good and I'm really excited to give it another try.

I would say 2 cans used. Although the first can I received was spitting the spray instead of spraying which made it clumpy looking. I sanded it smooth like the video instructions, but I think to sand as much as the guy does he must've used 2 or 3 cans for his helmet. My first attempt was a complete fail. Spots covered & faint. So I bought a second can & sprayed at least 2 coats over the first failed coat. Let it sit for at least 10 min between coats. Using the wand, I covered a 2 x 4 inch area at a time. That small area took an hour to cover correctly. The more you go over the area the more it'll cover. I did buy the little touch up brush can, which came in handy. My helmet isn't smooth. If you zoom into the back of the helmet you can see it looks like the texture of sandpaper. It doesn't feel rough though. I didn't want to over sand & have the same outcome as my first attempt so I lightly sanded it & went to work. Hope that helps you.

Foes anyone remember who 3D prints the long coat (3) panels on the long front strap. I don’t remember who?

Just brought the Super Shield, copper and nickel solution to electroplated both helmet pieces and new boot rockets from nova props we’ll see how it goes

Which glue did you use to attach the pieces

It was trial & error. Different glues & 2 part epoxy was not holding up, so I ended up using fiberglass to attach the pieces together & sanding down the edges. I watched other YouTube videos that said to heat up the electroplate solution... don't do it. Heat on plastic deforms the piece. I learned that the hard way. Had to use a heat gun to reform. Luckily it worked. I also added magnets to hold the helmet together. Maybe this should be discussed in the helmet run?

glued the main helmet pieces together by sanding all surfaces down, will add a little strip on plastic to stregthen the pieces,then on to sanding,priming,coating then to electroplating...looking forward to showing progress....maybe a thread?

Finally completed my Star Lord Guardians of the Galaxy 2 ensemble. Thought I would share pics.
. 9F74923D-BC01-417B-B709-C82D1306CF07.jpeg2B4C772A-66F5-4371-BB91-853B6E8B59D6.jpeg413651D0-F454-4570-8BCB-E019B34DCF29.jpegC3C6BFAE-6C22-459D-8DAB-E3C7107A7D83.jpeg0F504452-1975-48A0-A48E-2E84AE6E3DA0.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back