NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

Sorry guys,

but I guess (the details of the Bandai seem to proof this - just look at the details of the Bandai-Solo-Falcon between the Mandibles and the upper an lower jaw-boxes when the pod is detached...), that the episode-4-Falcon is alread there, Lando just put al lot of panels on it (a second hull plating - of course he has to change some surfacing parts to fit) and modified the front with his own escape-pod (like said in the movie). Also Pablo Hidalgo said, that the "cameo" of the Falcon in ROTS is still canon - and that was more the episode IV-look. So for me it works, because Lando just pimped the ship with a huge amount of panels in and outside for his needs to have a cool ship. So Lando won the Millennium Falcon in the state of the "Stellar Envoy"-appearance an then modified it... that's how i understood the story and works for me perfectly...

But that are just my 2 cents...

Greetings,
Peter

Yeah, between all that and the landing gear maneuver during the Kessel Run that took out the front gear boxes, everything in continuity is preserved except for the deeper TESB cockpit. If nothing else, the movie does a good job with its fan service.

Sorry guys,

but I guess (the details of the Bandai seem to proof this - just look at the details of the Bandai-Solo-Falcon between the Mandibles and the upper an lower jaw-boxes when the pod is detached...), that the episode-4-Falcon is alread there, Lando just put al lot of panels on it (a second hull plating - of course he has to change some surfacing parts to fit) and modified the front with his own escape-pod (like said in the movie). Also Pablo Hidalgo said, that the "cameo" of the Falcon in ROTS is still canon - and that was more the episode IV-look. So for me it works, because Lando just pimped the ship with a huge amount of panels in and outside for his needs to have a cool ship. So Lando won the Millennium Falcon in the state of the "Stellar Envoy"-appearance an then modified it... that's how i understood the story and works for me perfectly...

But that are just my 2 cents...

Greetings,
Peter

Yep....#3802

& page 1 of this thread #19

J

I'll say it again, if I had some extra cash lying around and could afford another PG Falcon, I would take a stab at modifying it to be Lando's version.That would be a trip.

It would be nice to get some sprue and instruction sheet shots of the Bandai kit. Darth Saber? DanielB? Bueller?

- - - Updated - - -

Dang it! I missed that. That's a cool easter egg.

I get mine tomorrow and will upload pictures of the sprues and instructions. Can't wait to start this kit!

Or... using the PG measurements,...modify a MPC

J

It would definitely be cheaper to mod a MPC or even a FM (like the Lucasfilm prototype they created as a study model), but I would want to use the authentic proportions of the 5-footer as my starting point. You and I agree that the 5-footer is the best representation of the Falcon's "true" proportions, so I'd start there. But it's really just a thought exercise since I don't have the money for another PG and what little cash I do have is going toward other kits. The 1/144 Bandai will fulfill my Lando version needs until I win the lottery. :D

I always bristle every time somebody praises RMQ overly. Yes, Ralph did superb work. But Joe Johnston was the one in the trenches coming up with this stuff, post Cantwell. (Aided by many others, naturally.)

For me, RMQ was really the preliminary designer of the star wars galaxy. But if his designs were translated literally to the screen, it would have been very bland. The real life and character to those designs came from the model makers, costume designers, builders and Lucas himself.

This is one of the reasons I was so outspoken about seeing so many RMQ tributes coming out of the modern LFL. It's like if a band releases all their old demo songs as "new material". It comes off as uninspired.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at the concept sketches. But I don't need to see them brought to the screen.

As an aside, I watched "honey I shrunk the kids" with my little ones recently and it was amazing to see how Joe Johnston brought all of those tricks from his Lucasflm days into that movie. So many seamless models and matte paintings to help create the world

Pablo Hidalgo’s Solo the official guide just landed at my house today. It’s a real fun one. So much detail is inside. I want to say what’s all there but I don’t want to ruin it, aside from DV’s desk of course. The Falcon bits are gold.

For me, RMQ was really the preliminary designer of the star wars galaxy. But if his designs were translated literally to the screen, it would have been very bland. The real life and character to those designs came from the model makers, costume designers, builders and Lucas himself.

This is one of the reasons I was so outspoken about seeing so many RMQ tributes coming out of the modern LFL. It's like if a band releases all their old demo songs as "new material". It comes off as uninspired.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at the concept sketches. But I don't need to see them brought to the screen.

As an aside, I watched "honey I shrunk the kids" with my little ones recently and it was amazing to see how Joe Johnston brought all of those tricks from his Lucasflm days into that movie. So many seamless models and matte paintings to help create the world
For me I'm happy that the new movies artist are using some of RMQ concept art for inspiration... because most of the vehicles they design on their own don't look so great.

Looking at the decals of the cockpit, there are a few things that are wrong compared to photos of the set.
The padding around the door should be white (decal is tan)
On the sides where decals 64, 66 go the actual set is just white surfaces.
There is also the missing lower strip light panels (back and side walls)

2664_CockpitofMillenniumFalconBackdrop_48x90__91654.1523628785.jpg

I was just thinking- all the changes to the Falcon hull which strip away the Lando prim and proper look were done by Solo when he took the controls-
Jettison the nose pod, slam down and remove extra landing gear, peel away the fancy hull plates- that Kessel Run not only gave him bragging rights, it helped make the Falcon his kind of craft also...

Hm. Say - could someone with both the Bandai Solo Falcon and the Bandai TFA/TLJ 1:144 Falcon confirm that the cockpit tunnel components are totally interchangeable? The sort of L-shaped piece that fits on top of the saucer. That sorta surprises me, as the Solo Falcon should have thicker hull plating or whatever!

Thanks!

Hm. Say - could someone with both the Bandai Solo Falcon and the Bandai TFA/TLJ 1:144 Falcon confirm that the cockpit tunnel components are totally interchangeable? The sort of L-shaped piece that fits on top of the saucer. That sorta surprises me, as the Solo Falcon should have thicker hull plating or whatever!

Thanks!

It's replaceable. They are the same size. Maybe there wasn't additional plating on the cockpit tunnel?...

Thanks for the reply! I’ve heard from a Facebook user that they’re not interchangeable, however!

nkg;[URL="tel:4486160" said:
4486160[/URL]]Thanks for the reply! I’ve heard from a Facebook user that they’re not interchangeable, however!

I'll double check when I get home, but a side-by-side that I took shows they are the same size. I'll post it here. I'd imagine that they may not be plug and play, but certainly interchangeable since you could just easily modify them to work. Why would you do that? I don't know.

2BE767E6-E20B-49AB-A484-5E7773BD1BD8.jpeg

Great. Thanks for taking the time to do that; much appreciated!

Why would I want to interchange them? Well, basically because the cockpit tunnel ridge on the 144 TFA/TLJ model is just awful. The trough is too wide and is filled with random greeblies that don't look anything like either the 5 foot OT Falcon or the TFA/TLJ movie Falcon. It's a source of great mystery to me why Bandai did such a fantastic job on modelling the ship in most every other regard, yet mess that up so badly! They did almost exactly the same thing on the 1:350 version of the ship, weirdly.

I've made a 3D printed replacement ridge, but it's a huge pain to install as you have to get the scribings to match, and that's hard to do well. So I'd almost buy a Lando Falcon just to get a better fitting part. But they're too different for that to work. Ah well. :)

- nkg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back