NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

I have zero issues with it....I'm very happy the way the Falcon (& the entire film) were handled....just a bit gutted seeing her so badly beat up at the end of the film,...but they went to great lengths to ensure that all continuity to the OT bird could be explained.

J

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone is saying the Lando MF is a direct McQuarrie design. It definitely borrows design elements, however, including the docking rings, radar dish, and gunport cannons. The fact that the designers went to that source, I think, gives the Lando version some legitimacy. They could've gone a completely original route, but I think that could've been even harder to accept.

....Yes...he did...

True fans wouldn't like this MF? Hahaha. This version was designed by Ralph McQuarrie all those years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

....Yes...he did...

J

Yes, technically. I think we can also fairly assume he didn't mean it was literally designed by RMQ any more than when we say the OT Falcon was "designed my RMQ" that we aren't making some critical error of omission by not listing Joe Johnston, George Lucas, Colin Cantwell, Grant McCune, Lorne Peterson, etc. for being equally part of the team that designed the ship. :cheers

Yes, technically. I think we can also fairly assume he didn't mean it was literally designed by RMQ any more than when we say the OT Falcon was "designed my RMQ" that we aren't making some critical error of omission by not listing Joe Johnston, George Lucas, Colin Cantwell, Grant McCune, Lorne Peterson, etc. for being equally part of the team that designed the ship. :cheers

head-scratch.png

?

:lol Oh, alright, J. I guess we'll have to wait for Oddacon to chime in to say whether he meant RMQ literally designed it or whether he meant the design has RMQ elements in it. If he meant literally, then he fairly deserves a spanking. :devil

Hunk is correct. I didn't mean Ralph was the sole designer. I know many of the others had their input as well. All I was saying when they were making Solo they looked back and borrowed from those designs. Which yes, in my eyes, gives it some l legitimacy.

I know the majority of all of you are truly experts on this ship and I do respect that.

I really wasn't trying to start any arguments. I apologize. I got fired up when someone first used the "true fans" excuse in their post a ways up above and posted hastily.

And for my post, I should've used those quotation marks myself. Sometimes it's hard to convey what you're trying to say on forums.

And you're right about this too, you either like it or you don't but in the end, we're all (I hope) Star Wars fans in the end here.

Oh and for a "kids show" the Clone Wars and Rebels both have some great storytelling and really add a lot of depth to the mythology. I get it's not for everyone and it is aimed more towards kids but adults can watch and enjoy it too.

Yes and no. They definitely took components of his design, but it still is the original 5ft design under there. Kind of.

I keep laughing that no one will talk about or seems to care about the fact that the original design doesn't even work with Lando's falcon. Which is highly evident by looking at pictures of the Bandai falcon. The mandibles are parallel and almost appear to be pointing outward because of the notches made in them so the escape pod will work. A "true fan" will also notice that the Lando design cannot work without the mandibles being able to pivot themselves like pincers and the jaw boxes being able to open and close like pac-man. It doesn't matter if it had armor. It doesn't change the fact that the line and angle of the jaw boxes from from the gun well to the point of the added escape pod does not work without complete hull redesigns.

I like the look of the Lando Falcon, but let's not kid ourselves and say there is continuity between it and the ANH falcon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No continuity? Really? And I agree with Hunk, gotta stop with this true fan nonsense. But back to Lando's Falcon. The internal design of the mandible could adjust... who knows really. I mean, this is all sci-fi and left to the imagination. From my perspective, it seems to me the continuity has been kept in check. Modifications are done all the time. Who's to say the same couldn't happen to the Falcon? If your goal is to bust out the white gloves and inspect for dust, you're always going to find dust... but this isn't a room inspection on field day.. It's a movie about a galaxy far, far away...

No continuity? Really? And I agree with Hunk, gotta stop with this true fan nonsense. But back to Lando's Falcon. The internal design of the mandible could adjust... who knows really. I mean, this is all sci-fi and left to the imagination. From my perspective, it seems to me the continuity has been kept in check. Modifications are done all the time. Who's to say the same couldn't happen to the Falcon? If your goal is to bust out the white gloves and inspect for dust, you're always going to find dust... but this isn't a room inspection on field day.. It's a movie about a galaxy far, far away...

A) No where in my post are there the words "no" and "continuity" right beside each other.

B) If you look again at my post it has true fan in quotes, meaning... quoting someone else.

C) I'm using facts that have already been shown with detailed diagrams on previous posts. Seems as though you are telling me I have to use my imagination in order to not notice the continuity flaws. ...and yes the white gloves are out. This has always been the forum for white gloves.

As I said, I like it! It has grown on me. But, when people (not you specifically) exclaim there is perfect continuity ...yes I'm going to present the facts.

I really wasn't trying to start any arguments. I apologize. I got fired up when someone first used the "true fans" excuse in their post a ways up above and posted hastily

You really should start to read more properly, and less selective. My "true fans" comment was made as a answer to this ridicuolous statement:

It’s so sad the the backlash of ignorant fans is hurting the true fans.

True fans never could love this abomination of the MF.

Oh and for a "kids show" the Clone Wars and Rebels both have some great storytelling and really add a lot of depth to the mythology. I get it's not for everyone and it is aimed more towards kids but adults can watch and enjoy it too.

I agree, i liked both shows. But nonetheless the DM arc was stupid at best, they should just have stayed with him dead, and his brother as the "new evil Zabrak".

There is so much toxicity between Star Wars fans right now (even more so than usual) that it might be helpful for all of us -- myself included -- to read less into what others type, be a little less quick to jump (I'm guilty), and try to remember we all actually like this Star Wars thing on some common level. I for one will try to do better. :cheers

Hunk is correct. I didn't mean Ralph was the sole designer. I know many of the others had their input as well. All I was saying when they were making Solo they looked back and borrowed from those designs. Which yes, in my eyes, gives it some l legitimacy.

I know the majority of all of you are truly experts on this ship and I do respect that.

I really wasn't trying to start any arguments. I apologize. I got fired up when someone first used the "true fans" excuse in their post a ways up above and posted hastily.

And for my post, I should've used those quotation marks myself. Sometimes it's hard to convey what you're trying to say on forums.

And you're right about this too, you either like it or you don't but in the end, we're all (I hope) Star Wars fans in the end here.

First I wasn't getting at you for you saying that the Falcon was designed by RMQ.....I let that slip by....what I was getting at was although the Falcon now has a less greeblie appearance,....& has docking rings almost identical to Ralph's paintings,....thats about it as far as similarities in looks

Most folks find an issue with the pointy nose of the ship & how the 'escape pod changes the look of the Falcon,....thats really where the abomination comments come from.....so when you said that folks need to remember it was Ralph McQuarrie that had designed it that way,...thats why I posted images of the non pointy Falcon

....& why I was scratching my head when HaJ misunderstood me

J

A) No where in my post are there the words "no" and "continuity" right beside each other.

B) If you look again at my post it has true fan in quotes, meaning... quoting someone else.

C) I'm using facts that have already been shown with detailed diagrams on previous posts. Seems as though you are telling me I have to use my imagination in order to not notice the continuity flaws. ...and yes the white gloves are out. This has always been the forum for white gloves.

As I said, I like it! It has grown on me. But, when people (not you specifically) exclaim there is perfect continuity ...yes I'm going to present the facts.

It was implied by what you said about continuity, that's all. I get it, though, that people here like to take a white glove to all things Star Wars, but when you do that, it takes some of the magic away. Well, for me anyway. You have to overlook things in movies or else you get lost in debates over things that really don't matter. Of course, we all want 100% continuity, but that's something we'll never get in movies. I enjoy model making because it is an escape. And in the end, we are just putting together and painting ships/characters that were made up to begin with. If we were doing some military tank or ship modeling, I would agree that the white gloves need to be out. I served my time in the Corps, so I would expect no less. I give a lot of leeway when it comes to sci-fi modeling because of the whole fictional nature of the subject matter.

And don't get me wrong... we need the white gloves when it comes to the model manufactures and replicating what we see in the films... I just don't get crazy when it comes to functionality (continuity) of a ship that doesn't exist in real life.

Fair enough, Lichtbringer. I'll take that to heart.

And I do agree with you all. To much toxicity in amongst the SW fandom these days.

No really saying any of you have been toxic or rude.

I always bristle every time somebody praises RMQ overly. Yes, Ralph did superb work. But Joe Johnston was the one in the trenches coming up with this stuff, post Cantwell. (Aided by many others, naturally.)

Speaking of Cantwell- I saw that recruitment video playing in Solo which had his proto Star Destroyer in it. While he may have been on the creative 'first team' I am glad that design was not used in the film aside from this one cameo...

It would be nice to get some sprue and instruction sheet shots of the Bandai kit. Darth Saber? DanielB? Bueller?

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Cantwell- I saw that recruitment video playing in Solo which had his proto Star Destroyer in it. While he may have been on the creative 'first team' I am glad that design was not used in the film aside from this one cameo...

Dang it! I missed that. That's a cool easter egg.

According to USPS my package is still in Florida, but it was just handed to me here in California.

For being so small the details are incredible.
I also got the U-Wing w/ TIE Striker.

Sorry guys,

but I guess (the details of the Bandai seem to proof this - just look at the details of the Bandai-Solo-Falcon between the Mandibles and the upper an lower jaw-boxes when the pod is detached...), that the episode-4-Falcon is alread there, Lando just put al lot of panels on it (a second hull plating - of course he has to change some surfacing parts to fit) and modified the front with his own escape-pod (like said in the movie). Also Pablo Hidalgo said, that the "cameo" of the Falcon in ROTS is still canon - and that was more the episode IV-look. So for me it works, because Lando just pimped the ship with a huge amount of panels in and outside for his needs to have a cool ship. So Lando won the Millennium Falcon in the state of the "Stellar Envoy"-appearance an then modified it... that's how i understood the story and works for me perfectly...

But that are just my 2 cents...

Greetings,
Peter

Sorry guys,

but I guess (the details of the Bandai seem to proof this - just look at the details of the Bandai-Solo-Falcon between the Mandibles and the upper an lower jaw-boxes when the pod is detached...), that the episode-4-Falcon is alread there, Lando just put al lot of panels on it (a second hull plating - of course he has to change some surfacing parts to fit) and modified the front with his own escape-pod (like said in the movie). Also Pablo Hidalgo said, that the "cameo" of the Falcon in ROTS is still canon - and that was more the episode IV-look. So for me it works, because Lando just pimped the ship with a huge amount of panels in and outside for his needs to have a cool ship. So Lando won the Millennium Falcon in the state of the "Stellar Envoy"-appearance an then modified it... that's how i understood the story and works for me perfectly...

But that are just my 2 cents...

Greetings,
Peter
Makes sense to me

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back