Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Simply used a little ruler that I made from a styrene sheet.
That's what I do. Styrene will bend with the contours of the hull. The key is to find an applicator better than the one the weathering kit comes with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We're of the same mind on that. You're right though, it is taking Tony an unusual amount of time to get those ready. I've put in requests for stuff before, like the entry ramp walls and the hull interlocks for the ramp, for the MPC and he whipped those out in no time. But, he says he's busy with a lot of stuff right now, so I hate to badger him about it, he's been great about stuff and his designs are always top shelf :thumbsup
agreed...I like the five gear version better myself..& I also wonder why bandai didn't include optional parts. I think I read somewhere when the kit was under development that was going to include that option? .. anyway 1. I'm going to wait for the shapeways parts ( what seems to be taking a long time) before I build mine ...2 .wait for bandai to release an ESB/ RTOJ version

Well, others can shun me for it, but I for one intend to do just that. Every Falcon I've built so far...5 I think, have all been ESB. I prefer the extra landing gear appearance. I'm just waiting for Tony 308 Bits on Shapeways to finish his design for them. The MPC one's are really close. I have a set and sized them up to the Bandai hull. I was going to use them, then I thought to just ask Tony to work some up. He's in the process. That's what I'm waiting for before I start mine. I'm actually surprised that Bandai didn't offer the optional parts with the kit. Oh well...

I have a 2nd PG Falcon just for the 5 gear box conversion...awaiting patiently!

I am also of the ESB persuasion. It looks more balanced with the extra gear boxes. But I have come to feel like the Kenner toy did my in with it's extra large/deep section in the back. Looking at the Bandai PG kit, and really thinking about the actual models, the ANH version isn't terrible. It almost feels like it took many hours of therapy to say that last statement, so there. So one PG will be built without the boxes, the other will be built with them, and I'm fully prepared to scratch my own boxes when the time comes. I just think the world (the "world" meaning Bandai and AM designers) needs to hear more about people who want this version.
Mike Todd

I just think the world (the "world" meaning Bandai and AM designers) needs to hear more about people who want this version.

Bandai has been appealing that "Most of the Millennium Falcon products currently available on the market are based on the 80cm model made for the filming of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back," so this time they are going to base theirs on the 3 geared 5 foot model of the ANH.

https://youtu.be/Xng3thTHiRg?t=69

From the video, it's quite clear that they are well aware of the popularity of the 5 geared version. But in effect, this time, they listened to the people who have wanted the 3 geared version based on the 5 footer.

By the way, I am sure many have noticed, but there are quite some useful photos of the original miniature in that video. I have captured some.

B7r.jpgB3r.jpgB5r.jpgB11_9.jpgB4_6.jpgB10_13.jpgB14_12.jpgB16_15r.jpgB8r.jpgB2r.jpg

A question for all the Falcon experts. I've finished painting all the panels on my PG Falcon and I'm starting to weather it. I've watched the "Build the Millennium Falcon" Youtube series with Steve Dymszo as he paints the Deagostini Falcon.

I know that he's replicating the 32" Falcon and he uses the paint spatter technique using a toothbrush. He's flicking on yellow, grey and black paint drops.
I have the Master Replicas Falcon and I can see that they replicated it too.

My question: Did the ILM model makers use this technique for the 5 foot Falcon?

Thanks!

A question for all the Falcon experts. I've finished painting all the panels on my PG Falcon and I'm starting to weather it. I've watched the "Build the Millennium Falcon" Youtube series with Steve Dymszo as he paints the Deagostini Falcon.

I know that he's replicating the 32" Falcon and he uses the paint spatter technique using a toothbrush. He's flicking on yellow, grey and black paint drops.

Thanks!

No.....more care was taken with the 5 footer....the 32" model was to give an impression of the 5 footer & was built & painted in a short time

DSC_2479.jpgDSC_2478.jpgDSC_2480.jpg

J

Last edited:

Thanks for these, Lab. Very helpful. It continues to amaze me how the studio model can look so different under different lighting conditions (which is to be expected, of course). In some it's lighter, in some its more beige, in some the streaking really stands out, in some the streaking is more subtle.

awesome!, big investment...but then most of here tend to do that. better than being out in the bars or gambling though yeah(y)lol
I have a 2nd PG Falcon just for the 5 gear box conversion...awaiting patiently!

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, I'm glad there's at least a few more ESB guys besides me. I'm sure Tony will have those boxes and gear up before long, and then...that's when I dive in :thumbsup
I am also of the ESB persuasion. It looks more balanced with the extra gear boxes. But I have come to feel like the Kenner toy did my in with it's extra large/deep section in the back. Looking at the Bandai PG kit, and really thinking about the actual models, the ANH version isn't terrible. It almost feels like it took many hours of therapy to say that last statement, so there. So one PG will be built without the boxes, the other will be built with them, and I'm fully prepared to scratch my own boxes when the time comes. I just think the world (the "world" meaning Bandai and AM designers) needs to hear more about people who want this version.
Mike Todd

Awesome Lab! :thumbsup Thanks so much for capturing those images and posting them, they'll definitely be added to my reference file. Also thanks for the vid, one really has to appreciate the work those Bandai fellas put into this kit. Really a work of art :thumbsup
Bandai has been appealing that "Most of the Millennium Falcon products currently available on the market are based on the 80cm model made for the filming of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back," so this time they are going to base theirs on the 3 geared 5 foot model of the ANH.

From the video, it's quite clear that they are well aware of the popularity of the 5 geared version. But in effect, this time, they listened to the people who have wanted the 3 geared version based on the 5 footer.

By the way, I am sure many have noticed, but there are quite some useful photos of the original miniature in that video. I have captured some.

View attachment 821683View attachment 821685View attachment 821684View attachment 821679View attachment 821678View attachment 821677View attachment 821680View attachment 821681View attachment 821682View attachment 821686

awesome!, big investment...but then most of here tend to do that. better than being out in the bars or gambling though yeah(y)lol

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, I'm glad there's at least a few more ESB guys besides me. I'm sure Tony will have those boxes and gear up before long, and then...that's when I dive in :thumbsup

It wasn't as big of an investment as the first kit...the hobby shop I use has a rewards program...so they put the PG Falcon on sale for 25% off, and I had a ton of rewards saved...I think it ended up costing me like $125.

Ha! No $#!t !! That's how I got mine too. I got a closet full of MPC Falcons...still have like 8, but I took like 6 to ,my shop for consignment sale. He sold them all like in a couple of months. I wasn't going to get the PG because I had a poo poo thing for snap kits. Then he explained it too me how Bandai does their stuff. (now my whole Echo Base diorama is Bandai) I used my store credit and about 130 bucks I think to get the one I have. He's got a few more things I took him but hasn't moved anything yet, 1/72 WW2 stuff that I used to binge on. I did like 5 of the MPC's, all with the upgrades, sold one, gave two as gifts and I have one in-flight in my work office, and a landed still at home. Looks pretty good for an MPC, but then only like 30% of it is original box parts. Don't know what I'm gonna do with the rest of them. Found them all cheap on Ebay thinking I'd build to the 9's and sell 'em. Didn't work out too well. Who knows, maybe they'll be worth something sometime. Got another collectable store in Phoenix that has TONS of SW. Action figures out the wazoo. Think maybe I can swap him some for some cool stuff.
It wasn't as big of an investment as the first kit...the hobby shop I use has a rewards program...so they put the PG Falcon on sale for 25% off, and I had a ton of rewards saved...I think it ended up costing me like $125.

My only slight problem with the PG cockpit cone was that it was in two pieces (which made sense in giving people the choice whether to use the clear window insert or the empty frames). Aside from that, its shape seems spot on to me. I thinned the frames in mine to more closely match the studio model, but that's it.

I really liked the one for my 1/144 falcon.

Just curious if the 1/72 is an improvement...

It's me being honest,....The shape of the Bandai cones are the closest to the 5 footer I've ever seen....the shapeways one,.....no offence to you or TonyRR looks off,....like a 5 foot/32" hybrid

I really do not see any need to replace these parts

J

My only slight problem with the PG cockpit cone was that it was in two pieces (which made sense in giving people the choice whether to use the clear window insert or the empty frames). Aside from that, its shape seems spot on to me. I thinned the frames in mine to more closely match the studio model, but that's it.

Good intel. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only problem I have with the included cockpit is that it is really difficult to get to sit flush if using the included interior. The alignment system they used to make the cockpit removable isn't well engineered.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, but not near to the degree which appears on the 32" falcon. With the 32 incher, they basically changed the overall color by flecking paint onto the surface.

Below is an example of the technique on the five footer.

falcontop8comp.jpg

You could probably get away with skipping this technique on the bandai falcon, up to you.

Where I got the photo: http://www.3dscifi.com/reference/starwars/MilleniumFalcon/falcontop8comp.html

View attachment 821683View attachment 821685View attachment 821684View attachment 821679View attachment 821678View attachment 821677View attachment 821680View attachment 821681View attachment 821682View attachment 821686

Thanks for posting those images!!

Im so glad to have seen these as I wasnt really sure the color I used on my Falcon was correct or if it was lighting playing tricks.
These images are are nearly identical to the look of my falcon under normal lighting.

Under studio lighting it also matches so Im pretty sure the color I chose was oretty damn close.

Thanks again!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back