Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Sadly I've never seen the actual five foot model. And it's really hard to judge by photos, which are taken under tons of lighting conditions. But there does seem to be a general consensus that the original model had somewhat warm grey tones, not the neutral grey of the Bandai plastics.

Sadly I've never seen the actual five foot model. And it's really hard to judge by photos, which are taken under tons of lighting conditions. But there does seem to be a general consensus that the original model had somewhat warm grey tones, not the neutral grey of the Bandai plastics.

Thats my understanding as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUESTION for the color gurus!

Is it safe to assume that the Bandai PG Falcon is molded in the same base color as the original 5 footer Falcon model?

Im using Vallejo paints and Im getting information that Vallejo air White Grey is a match to the Floquil reefer white used in the original 5 footer....however Vallejo Air white gray is close, but not an exact match, to the molded plastic on the Bandai PG falcon.

I would say the values match but the hue is a bit warmer on the Vallejo air White grey than the molded plastic.

So, is Vallejo white grey closer to Floquil Reefer White or is the Bandai molded plastic closer?

In my opinion, the molded plastic of the PG falcon doesnt look warm enough. But thats just my guess.

Can anyone confirm or offer info?

Heres a pic-
Molded plastic left
Vallejo white grey right

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180111/d9edc82f2c200ec5829e4e54d17c8535.jpg

The 5ft Falcon was not painted Reefer White, it was painted with Krylon Platinum Gray. The 32inch Falcon in ESB was probably a 50/50 mix of Floquil Reefer White and Floquil Grime.

As for the PG Falcon, yes, matching the plastic color is ideal. You could also look at Vallejo Insignia White which is very close. In fact, some mixture of Vallejo White Grey and Vallejo Insignia White might be spot on. I'll have to run some tests.

The 5ft Falcon was not painted Reefer White, it was painted with Krylon Platinum Gray. The 32inch Falcon in ESB was probably a 50/50 mix of Floquil Reefer White and Floquil Grime.

As for the PG Falcon, yes, matching the plastic color is ideal. You could also look at Vallejo Insignia White which is very close. In fact, some mixture of Vallejo White Grey and Vallejo Insignia White might be spot on. I'll have to run some tests.

Tried doing tests with Vellejo Insignia white also.

It has the same color tone as Vallejo white grey but much lighter values...also much lighter than the molded plastic of the bandai, and hue is still warmer than bandai.

Tried doing tests with Vellejo Insignia white also.

It has the same color tone as Vallejo white grey but much lighter values...also much lighter than the molded plastic of the bandai, and hue is still warmer than bandai.

Then perhaps I will have to try some other colors. It's also dependent on if you are priming in white, gray, or black. Many factors.

76ba448fbc0f8a8bb05a477e4e949761.jpg

Bandai plastic base
Vellejo white grey left
Vallejo insignia white right

Was this piece (red) ever on the falcon? Every reference photo I look at, it's missing. This is port side. I know it's on the prop now, but I think they may have just used the one that fell off from the starboard side.

Screenshot_20180111-175859[26847].png

so, just wanted to plug Matt at Hobbyworld USA. Just got the kit from him for $319 shipped by UPS to my door.!
Pretty hard to beat. Still has a couple left.
K

I got mine from HW as well. Spoke with Matt on phone. Great service. Will be buying more from this great seller.

Ok, assembly complete on my PG Falcon Just one problem; a leftover part!

See pic. Help me if you can!

bf90d2f9bcb1baf0aba001b102f8047a.jpg
7f08c3c9d58bca624fa556fe1c986601.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you know the sprue and the number? Gawd, I don't remember it and now I'm paranoid.
No I don't because it's a loose part :(

I searched the instructions twice now, hurts my eyes!

Actually I had 3 leftover parts but located 2 if them, they were a little easier as they were still on the sprues

I just checked my remaining sprues and I don't see it. It must be on the model someplace, but the heck if I know where. We'll find it. Eventually.

J 39 page 25

YES! The Force is with us!

Took me at least a minute pouring over page 25 to find it and another to find where it goes on the completed sidewall. Had to trim a tab to fanangle it in place and use some Tamiya cement. It's good to go now.

Darth Saber, I owe you a beer!
fda08f24dc5cc6ca65fc8768be14fb62.jpg

YES! The Force is with us!

Took me at least a minute pouring over page 25 to find it and another to find where it goes on the completed sidewall. Had to trim a tab to fanangle it in place and use some Tamiya cement. It's good to go now.

Darth Saber, I owe you a beer!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180112/fda08f24dc5cc6ca65fc8768be14fb62.jpg

Looks great!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back