My Glosscote spray can doesn't rattle?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have an old can of Testor's Glosscote that I wanted to use, but when I tried to shake it up, I don't hear a rattle. Do Glosscote cans have that rattle in them? I know they don't have another part to mix in like Dullcote, so I was wondering.

Turn it upside down with the lid on and smack that mother on something good multiple times and see if the ball inside just got stuck.

I've had similar rattle can issues - I got around this by leaving the can submerged in a washing up bowl of very hot tap water until the water went cold - this warmed the cans contents enough to release the ball - mind you, like said above, a bloody good smack up the arse with the can upside down with a mallet often does the trick

I was thinking about whacking it, but didn't have anything on hand that wouldn't break. :lol I'll go whack it on the vise. I *am* going to spray it on a scrap to test it out first though. I'm not sure how old it is, but my guess would be 5-10 years old.

I've had similar rattle can issues - I got around this by leaving the can submerged in a washing up bowl of very hot tap water until the water went cold - this warmed the cans contents enough to release the ball - mind you, like said above, a bloody good smack up the arse with the can upside down with a mallet often does the trick

When I first got into building models I did research on spray painting and learned the "place the can in warm water" technique. I did this using testors/model masters a few times with warm water - not hot - and one can "bubbled" on the bottom. What I mean is that the bottom of the can which is concaved upward concaved downward to the point that it won't stand up now, I have to lay it on its side. It looks like it came close to bursting. This really surprised me as I was only using warm water, not hot at all.

I'm not trying to contradict what you're saying, Gimme Shelter, I am still a novice. I'm also not sure it was near bursting. It just alarmed me enough that I no longer use warm water.
Again, I'm not trying to say Gimme Shelter is incorrect in any way, just looking for info as to if I did nearly rupture a can.

When I first got into building models I did research on spray painting and learned the "place the can in warm water" technique. I did this using testors/model masters a few times with warm water - not hot - and one can "bubbled" on the bottom. What I mean is that the bottom of the can which is concaved upward concaved downward to the point that it won't stand up now, I have to lay it on its side. It looks like it came close to bursting. This really surprised me as I was only using warm water, not hot at all.

I'm not trying to contradict what you're saying, Gimme Shelter, I am still a novice. I'm also not sure it was near bursting. It just alarmed me enough that I no longer use warm water.
Again, I'm not trying to say Gimme Shelter is incorrect in any way, just looking for info as to if I did nearly rupture a can.
It sounds like you had a bad can. I've had the same thing happen but it only happened once in almost 20 years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It sounds like you had a bad can. I've had the same thing happen but it only happened once in almost 20 years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good to know. The warm water method seemed to make sense, I was just hesitant to try it again as it looked like I came very close to a large mess.
Of course I'll still be cautious, but feel better about it now.

Thanks Heluba.

Ok I ended up banging the crap out of it on my vice and nothing. I tested it and it works. So I'm wondering if this older can didn't have anything in it? Glosscoat doesn't have anything separate in it like Dullcote, so maybe that's why?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back