Captain Picard's "Kurlan Naiskos" Statue?

SgtFang

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Anyone have any dimensions or pics for this?

Kurlan_naiskos.jpg

Kurlan_Naiskos_opened.jpg

Galen_avec_picard.jpg

I always thought it had a cool, Pre-Columbian look to it, and visitors would never know it was a Trek prop. :D

THANKS!

-Sarge

Isn't this the one that Picard makes a big deal out of in the episode in the screencaps, then it shows up in Generations and he picks it up and tosses it back on the floor? LOL

I always thought that was strange as well. The only thing he takes from the wrecked room is the photo album.

at ex-astris-scientia.org there's a good represetation of the Naiskos from Fact Files. Just google "Kurlan Naiskos" and you'll get there.

at ex-astris-scientia.org there's a good represetation of the Naiskos from Fact Files. Just google "Kurlan Naiskos" and you'll get there.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

kurlan-naiskos.jpg

I got this one awhile back, but didn't post it here because of the size. That's actually a great pic! Thanks!

I know some castings of the little ones made it out into fandom, does anyone have one they could snap some pics of with a ruler?

Yeah, the bit in "Generations" flustered me too. All I can figure was the director was trying (hamfistedly) to say something about memories being more important than possessions or something.

Thanks!

-Sarge

Do the smaller statues also open?

Not that we ever saw, but it would be kind of cool if they did! You could run with the idea that even the lesser individuals within the greater individual, had smaller individuals within each of them too, like the layers of an onion. :) ("I" don't want to sculpt all of them though! :lol)

-Sarge

If I remember the episode correctly the statute represents the society coming together as a whole,or something to that effect. And I also agree about the "Generations" scene.WAYYY to HAMFISTED...lol
I asked because the smaller statues in the image SgtFang supplied look like they have a seam along the bottom, though that could be because of their shape.

Someone came up with the non-canon explanation for Picard's behaviour in Generations... Realising the value of the Kurlan Naiskos, he donated the real one to a museum, but kept a facsimile as a reminder of his mentor. So what he threw away wasn't a priceless antique, just a replica.

@Sarge: Yes, it's the pic. Well, if you look at the 2nd pic you've posted, the small Naiskos could be triple in the volume of a combadge. There you've got a idea of how big those figures are. 10 are possibly in a big Naiskos, the second pic show only nine, if I haven't miscounted and the FF has 10 drawn in. So you work up to the height and width.

Michael Parrish also shown a inofficial Naiskos from the experience - practically you can do your Naiskos as you wish - it could be passed as a 1st or 2nd dynasty Naiskos or later ones, like what Michael did. This Naiskos represents only the work of the famous nameless Master of Tarquin Hill as stated in the episode. AFAIR, the small ones didn't open. Rick Sternbach designed the Naiskos, he may have all your answers.

Oh yes, before I forget the Interactive Tech Manual has 2 pics of the Naiskos in the Ready Room, the closed and opened one.

Last edited:
They were made of Hydrocal FGR 95 Gypsum Cement to give them an authentic look. The small pieces did not open,they were cast solid. The FGR 95 was reinforced with fiberglass cloth.

Chris Bergschneider and Mark Sisson did the original scuplts, molds and castings.

They were made of Hydrocal FGR 95 Gypsum Cement to give them an authentic look. The small pieces did not open,they were cast solid. The FGR 95 was reinforced with fiberglass cloth.

Chris Bergschneider and Mark Sisson did the original scuplts, molds and castings.

Excellent info. Thank you!

Do you happen also to know how the weathering was done? It looks like there were several layers of glazing in greens and browns to simulate grime, but the material bearing the pigment appears to have been very thick. Any idea what that might have been?

If memory serves...all the coloring was done in the mold. The green patina was brushed in, not covering the entire surface. The mold was then backed with fgr95 with the terra cotta color mixed in and backed with fiberglass and more fgr95 I don't recall anything being done to it once it came out of the mold.I'll check with Chris but he's out the rest of the week on another job. History does repeat itself, Chris is back working here on various projects. I called him in to help with my Morlock mold and he hasn't left : )

I'll post up some photos later, we have a complete set of the Kurlan Naiskos in the lobby of our office. Funny thing, I woke up this morning thinking about this prop, trying to remember where we bought the patina and Terrra cotta colors.

Re: Captain Picard's "Kurlan Naiskos" Statue?

Whoa! Amazing pictures!

I've always wanted one of these!

Wow. These are fantastic photos, the best I've seen for this prop. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to provide them! :)

Do you happen to know what size the little guys are, by the way? An auction listing I've seen has them at 3"x3", but that seems markedly too large, and the wrong proportions.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back