Trek Movie Comm's Under Construction

The mid plate on that one looks good in the pic but it looks like ass when you see it up close :lol. I put some rub n buff on there to get an idea what it looks like but I am not happy with it. I am going to order some brass palate as soon as I get paid and cut the mid plates out of that. It just does not match the lid.

Are you just going to do the brass plate for STIII Comm or are you going to do it for both versions and paint the brass on the STV Comm?

Are you just going to do the brass plate for STIII Comm or are you going to do it for both versions and paint the brass on the STV Comm?

It will depend on how difficult they are to cut out. I am planning on bolting the sheets together and then milling them stacked on top of each other. If all goes well all four. The paint is still giving off a lot of fumes (the humidity is making painting a big pain) so I am letting them sit and hopefully fully dry.

It will depend on how difficult they are to cut out. I am planning on bolting the sheets together and then milling them stacked on top of each other. If all goes well all four. The paint is still giving off a lot of fumes (the humidity is making painting a big pain) so I am letting them sit and hopefully fully dry.

Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to see how your builds come out.
Thanks

Here's my Trek V comm all finished up. Luckily I had a lid from a build I did a few years ago. I used a metallic black and added a light dusting of silver. The midplate is a charcoal silver and the buttons are Dove Gray. I'd like to add some electronics whenever I find the time.

Star-Trek-V-The-Final-Frontier-Communicator-1_zpsab8cb1db.jpg

Star-Trek-V-The-Final-Frontier-Communicator-2_zps0e9298e5.jpg

What is the deal with the white paint between the lid hinges on most of the replicas I see. I dont see that in any of the photos of the screen used ones I have seen Is that supposed to be there? (I don't know a lot about the movie comms). Sorry if I posted a photo of an RPF members comm, it was just to show the area I was asking the question about.
Star-Trek-III-The-Search-for-Spock-Communicator-4.jpg

What is the deal with the white paint between the lid hinges on most of the replicas I see. I dont see that in any of the photos of the screen used ones I have seen Is that supposed to be there? (I don't know a lot about the movie comms). Sorry if I posted a photo of an RPF members comm, it was just to show the area I was asking the question about.
View attachment 351019

I was never sure about that either, but all of the ones built by HMS for Rodd.com have it and the picture robn1 posted shows it on a screen used one so I guess that is the way it should be.

The grills turned out really nice and the finished STIII Comms, other than electronics, look great. Can't wait to see how the STV look.

The white piece on the replicas is just a section of the case painted white. But the screen cap shows something that extends past the mid plate, filling the space between the lid and case.

Has gmprops or anyone else expressed any interest in doing electronics for these? It would only require a pretty simple design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has @gmprops or anyone else expressed any interest in doing electronics for these? It would only require a pretty simple design.

I know he talked about it, but that was before the project fell apart. I for one used a hallmark comm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news. I heard back from gmprops. He said he is currently busy with a big electronics contract for a professional client but he does plan to get to doing the communicators eventually when he has time. He already has a set of samples from Stapleton Prods on which to base a board.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back