Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Rian Johnson describes Princess Leia as a "Mutha *****".

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/rian-johnson-explains-the-basis-for-that-the-last-jedi-twist.html

This article is actually editing the exchange.

A user asks how Leia was able to use the force.
RJ responds in a mature and reasonable fashion. Saying space is a vacuum, thus easy to move around in.

A user then asks how she was able to do that while under the physical strain of being in a vacuum. (edited out of the article)
He responds..."She's a bad *** mutha *****"

IMO, RJ got busted and couldn't come up with a real answer. This is how bad writing is exposed.

I also think both "bad ***" and "mutha *****" are both fairly lazy, immature, and crude ways to describe a female character. Especially Leia who I would describe as a strong person in lieu of either of those poor choices.

All I know is that in the clone wars, the vacuum of space could kill Jedi. (Except for plo koon who had a breathing apparatus. But it only worked for a brief period of time)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

All I know is that in the clone wars, the vacuum of space could kill Jedi. (Except for plo koon who had a breathing apparatus. But it only worked for a brief period of time)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They say you have about 90 seconds of complete exposure to vacuum before you are irreparably damaged and die. And maybe having the Force to Steele yourself can make that a bit longer.

...defeminized fan edit of the movie, all I can say is hooray someone has tried to fix it...
...antifa...SJW...
...whatever,, Im not threatened,the movie sucked, save your pity for your cuckholded self
...they jumped the shark and made it anti-male, its so mangina pro feminism they only hired dumpy chicks for the new movie
....most are tired of the need to feature every race religion and sexual orientation in the movies.
...did the originals cater to adolescent boys? perhaps but that made it a success and contrary to what those who watch The Big Bang Theory think,, most girls have little interest in sci-fi...

Oh great, twitter bots are signing up for the RPF now.

self edit. Decided not to go there.

The thread has gone a little off the rails though.

and even with the edit...I couldn't help myself....bots don't do that.

Last edited:
Rey is the chosen one !
But Anakin was the chosen one !
Then HOW is Rey so powerful with the Force ?
Because the Force chose her to be !

???????????
Chosen 1.2

Oh now people don't know what I was responding tooooooo hurumf !

They say you have about 90 seconds of complete exposure to vacuum before you are irreparably damaged and die. And maybe having the Force to Steele yourself can make that a bit longer.
Kanan had a similar experience in Rebels and survived. (Not that I agree with the Leia scene)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

If there are three cruisers with limited fuel would it not be logical to tether them together and triple the running time? And they have inertia,why would they slow down or stop without fuel?

Also bring up the rating. What are some of the reasons it was PG-13?

Maybe because anyone under 13 wouldn't understand it...:lol

I’m much older and still don’t understand most of it !:confused:facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

If there are three cruisers with limited fuel would it not be logical to tether them together and triple the running time? And they have inertia,why would they slow down or stop without fuel?

That’d make too much sense in this film ! :lol

The lack of inertia was sort-of explained by the fact that no spaceship or space-stuff works like it should in Star Wars. Sound in space, engines constantly burning when ships are on the move, no fuel issues (ahem...so far).
However, this was actually undermined by RJ himself now by saying in that tweet that Leia can move around as she is in zero G and that space offers no resistance, so if that applies to a person I don't see why it doesn't apply to a spaceship.
I'm actually half-tempted to create a twitter account just to ask him this seeing that he's nice enough to reply to people.

It doesn't make any sense to try and explain in-universe things using real world physics. It is pretty clear that in-universe physics can be summed up as "whatever the plot requires= what is possible".

This is great. Rian just tweeted a series of photos. The first shows a shelf of books presumably in his home. Then he does a close up showing he has the books The Jedi Path and The Book of Sith. He cracks open Jedi Path to the section titled Advanced Force Techniques and finally this entry...

I wonder how long it took him to find something to validate his ridiculous force powers in the movie.

Next, I'm sure they'll find some obscure piece of fan fiction to explain why Rey can strip mine an entire mountain after a day of training.

True, but if the writer decides to apply a rule to one instance it should be consistently used all across the board.
I've said many times that a bad script is when plot holes are hurdles that the writers have to get past, rather than the characters.

JJtrek always used the writers to invent ways out of holes. Which always turns into a plot contrivance. Look at the entire segment where Spock sent kirk to the ice planet. Everything about that segment (and the way he got back to the enterprise) was one contrivance after another.

The stargate franchise was always great in that they used in universe solutions to get through hurdles. The people writing the episodes were all on a very short leash by the people who understood every "rule" that came in the episodes that came before it. And they used those parameters to make the shows work.

JJtrek always used the writers to invent ways out of holes. Which always turns into a plot contrivance. Look at the entire segment where Spock sent kirk to the ice planet. Everything about that segment (and the way he got back to the enterprise) was one contrivance after another.

As log as I live I'll never understand why Nero didn't try to save his family and homeworld - WHICH STILL EXISTED IN THE TIMELINE - as opposed to focusing all his energies on revenge. Made zero logical sense.

As log as I live I'll never understand why Nero didn't try to save his family and homeworld - WHICH STILL EXISTED IN THE TIMELINE - as opposed to focusing all his energies on revenge. Made zero logical sense.

As long as I live, I'll never understand why we give movies like JJ trek and JJ wars a pass when movies like Transformers are hacked apart by critics when really, they're just the other side of the same coin.

Both Transformers 3 and the Avengers have the same third act. Why give one of them a pass and the other a fail?

Hoo-boy....Here's just one q u eer* person of color's opinion.
*(dear RPF word filter, this one hasn't been a slur since at least John Waters' appearance on The Simpsons in 1997)

Obviously there are common sense limits to race and gender blind casting. Kylo can't be Asian or black and still be Han and Leia's son. But I honestly don't see any reason why the Resistance shouldn't be more diverse, and every reason, in-universe included, why it should be more diverse. And I don't just mean gender and race, would love more weird SW species like Nien Nunb. To borrow a line from another franchise, the Resistance, which supposedly comes from a huuuge galaxy, sometimes comes off as a "homosapiens only club."

As far as diversity and storytelling...I really don't see folks making the argument that every movie from here on out must be perfectly diverse. Rather, that other people's stories can also be universally relatable. There's a lot of folks who aren't like Luke Skywalker - whether gender or ethnicity - that saw SW and were drawn to it. For them, to see a group of fans, which is largely (but certainly not entirely) male complaining about a character like Rey comes off as a bit ridiculous. We all watched, and were drawn to, a story about someone who was unlike us, and now that the franchise is asking a different group of folks to see Rey's story as universal, suddenly it's problematic?

I could've sworn I saw a Sullustan in the Resistance command, but now I can't remember if that was during TFA or TLJ.

Oh great, twitter bots are signing up for the RPF now.

Seriously. This is beyond ridiculous.

Because....(see below)

It doesn't make any sense to try and explain in-universe things using real world physics. It is pretty clear that in-universe physics can be summed up as "whatever the plot requires= what is possible".

Bingo. Star Wars space combat has never operated on Newtonian physics. If that's what you're after, check out Babylon 5 (which is awesome, by the way). Star Wars is WW2 in space. Mostly.

I've said many times that a bad script is when plot holes are hurdles that the writers have to get past, rather than the characters.

The stargate franchise was always great in that they used in universe solutions to get through hurdles. The people writing the episodes were all on a very short leash by the people who understood every "rule" that came in the episodes that came before it. And they used those parameters to make the shows work.

The ice planet bit struck me as straight-up padding. It didn't seem to accomplish anything except to introduce a pointless action sequence into an already too-busy film. In retrospect, it's the JJTrek equivalent of the Rathtar sequence, which also feels completely shoehorned in because they just couldn't bear to have 5 damn minutes of people engaging with each other on a human level or providing exposition.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back