Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

The only one that really threw came in the beginning of the movie . when Cassian gets contradictory orders to kill Galen rather than rescue. Why go at all then ? The whole reason is to find out if the new weapon is real and how to defeat it . if you just kill him you let the empire know you are on to them while learning nothing at all !

IMO, at the time they knew he was WORKING TOWARD designing a super weapon. I think that were just thinking if we have this chance to kill him that would stall the process.

Meanwhile they are attacking the shields themselves instead of the ring shield generator thing which of course is what they end up crashing the two death stars into to finally take down the shields.

It seemed like they were doing both. The point where it opens must usually be a weak spot but that is conjecture.

ROGUE ONE Trailer Moments That Didn’t Make It Into The Film | Birth.Movies.Death.

18 Moments From the ‘Rogue One’ Trailers Not in the Movie

I kept waiting for some of these scenes to play out, which never happened. So I guess some of these omissions were the results of the reshoots.

I remember ROTJ trailers had a little bit that never made it into the film.
But these are far more numerous, and clearly running across the battlefield with the data disk implies some big changes may have been made.

Yep, running across the battlefield and the close up with the TIE fighter were great trailer moments which I was looking forward to. Guess we have to wait for the delete scenes on Blu-ray to see why they chose to change the narrative.

Though I am quite surprised to find myself typing this, I quite agree.

I didn't think that i would feel so *meh* about the film... but I do. I don't know what's wrong with me that i didn't love it... but I didn't.

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. Started to think I've gone crazy seeing how much people have loved this one. I'm glad others can enjoy it, but it was a pure "meh" for me as well.

I would love to see some re-edited less hyper version of this especially including whatever the original ending was (not like it would ever happen). Clearly there was a different ending in mind due to the clips of them running with the plans on the beach and the shot of Krennic walking through the water. I'd hope it was better than the technical signal nonsense throughout the battle or the extremely cliche ending of Krennic holding the gun at Jyn about to kill her only to be shot by newly woken up Cassian. It would have better reflected that comment in ANH about "stolen data tapes" too.

I think the tie fighter thing may have just been a throw off not to spoil the final stand off.

Am I the only one not upset about some if the trailer stuff not being present? I saw it over and over in the trailer, no need to see it again. It's not like the trailer betrays the film.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think the tie fighter thing may have just been a throw off not to spoil the final stand off.

Am I the only one not upset about some if the trailer stuff not being present? I saw it over and over in the trailer, no need to see it again. It's not like the trailer betrays the film.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think for the most part it was intentional, to some degree, to mislead in a sense that it doesn't give away key plot points in the long run. Kinda like how people say in some movies "the best parts are already shown in the trailers"

You can tell there was a change of direction with exactly how the plans were transported, but at the end of the day, it's already established that they were more or less "transmitted" in ANH.

As for Krennic, in the trailer (as brief as it was) you had the sense he didn't fear or feel threatened by Vader..Well, the film, you can tell he was nervous has hell to even speak with him

Definitely want to see the deleted scenes when they come out

With the Vader/Krennic exchange my opinion was Krennic was a bit cowed when Vader was up close but smiled after the choke because it seemed to validate he was still an important person because Vader did not kill him.

... I think our feelings will change about this movie over time. Every SW movie feels odd the first time you watch it... only when you have seen it several times, and lived with it can you then give a solid opinion about it. Then you just accept it as being part of the family.... Even the prequels, we may not like them, or their ugly parts, but they're family, and eventually you grow used to them. TFA actually improved for me after several viewings, and having lived a year with it. I'm sure R1 will be similar. ... these really are just the first steps to expanding the SW universe, and its a great start, warts and all.

... I think our feelings will change about this movie over time. Every SW movie feels odd the first time you watch it... .

I feel like this current wave of Star Wars doesn't know how to have a strong opening. I walked out of Rogue One loving the movie after having been in great despair during the first 15-20 mins, worried that I wouldn't like it. TFA took a second viewing for me to really accept the start of the narrative. Both seemed to lack the punch and mystery that the OT had with its openers.

I liked the movie, very entertaining, a little disjointed and slow the first half, but cranks up in the end. Unfortunately the end is what popped a few questions in my head in regards to the writing.

I kept wondering why the star destroyers weren't engaging the rebels and seemed to be taken out way too easily.

Also the plans were stored on this large storage device but the rebels got it squeezed down to a Galaxy S5 size.

The one thing that bugged me was seeing the Tantive IV at the battle fleeing the empire, so how can Leia claim in Star Wars that they were on a diplomatic mission for Alderaan, or mercy mission as Vader says? Especially since he saw them flee from the captured ship they just boarded. And why board it? Just blow it up like they did their own installation.

I saw it last night and I'm waiting at the theater right now to see it a second time.

Fast review: I really, really, really liked it. I loved EP7, but I really liked R1.

I thought the first 1/3 was okay. Pacing was not great and it felt choppy to me. Not hard to follow but it didn't feel cohesive. Middle 1/3 was better except for the stuff with Saw and Bodi. It took up screen time and it didn't really matter to the story. The last 1/3 was awesome and was the best part of the movie.

Music was 'meh'. I barely heard it and it wasn't memorable. I was shocked how many scenes from the trailers were not in the movie.

Tarkin is my all time, hands down favorite SW character. Full stop. So I was giddy seeing him again. Not perfect, but I feel it's probably the best we can hope for until technology makes another big leap. I wasn't sure if the Tarkin effects got better or I just adjusted to them and then they looked more realistic.

All the cameos were great.

Much like Tarkin, I thought Darth Vader was as good as we could expect. I really had no issue with the costume or the actor in the suit but he didn't 'move' like Vader in his first scene and that broke the illusion for me. The mask was really sharp and the gunmetal was crazy noticible when the helmet should 'look black'. When I watch the OT, even knowing the helmet as well as I do it 'looks black' on-screen. Plus I think all the shots of Vader in that scene were too close-up. They should have shot from behind Krennic looking upward to make Vader look like he was towering over Krennic.

The second Vader scene was perfect in every way. The only way to make it better was to make it longer.

I'll say this. When I left the theater after seeing EP7, I could barely wait to see it again and I could not stop thinking about the story, characters, and effects. If I had not already pre-bought my ticket 2 weeks ago to see R1 again, I'm not sure I'd be here right now again today. But not because R1isn't a good movie or because I didn't like it; but because I didn't love it.

Last edited:
I remember ROTJ trailers had a little bit that never made it into the film.
But these are far more numerous, and clearly running across the battlefield with the data disk implies some big changes may have been made.

May have been? Major changes to the ending were made with the reshoots.

I would not be surprised to find that the cut tie scene was a rescue.

May have been? Major changes to the ending were made with the reshoots.

I would not be surprised to find that the cut tie scene was a rescue.
I'll say it again, reshoots have made the film darker, not lighter. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I saw it last night, and now that we're two movies in, I'm going to say it... The OT is gone and it's never coming back. heck, even ROTJ barely made the grade (I find a large amount of it virtually unwatchable at this point). Everyone kept saying TFA was just like the OT. It wasn't. Even though this was even set in that era, it definitely wasn't. That said...

CG Tarkin and Leia were about 95% there. In an all CG environment or film, they would have been fine, but they just don't work in the "real world". And the absence of a John Williams score was more noticeable than in The Clone Wars or Rebels. Finally, while I'm no purist, Vader did seem a bit off, both visually and sonically. Oh well.

On the other hand, the boarding sequence at the end showed us a Vader I would like to have seen in ANH. I always wondered what the boarding of the Tantive IV would have been like in modern terms. Well, there you go.

All in all, it was a good war movie and a decent addition to the Star Wars universe.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back