Star Wars - ANH Rebel Trooper Blaster "DH-17"

Like discussed before, I also believe it to be a cast of a modified L2A3 cast...NONE of the other resin props used by the prop dept. shows this level of shrinkage, so it must have been a result of manipulating the mold master.

Working at the local natural history museum, I've seen the taxidermy department sometimes manipulating both the mould and the cast with various chemicals to shrink or increase things. There are things that will make the rubber of a mould swell for instance, making the cast smaller and thinner. The downside is of course warping.

How much smaller is the DH-17 compared to the Sterling? The SMG has an 38 mm outer diameter receiver tube. Whet's the diameter of the DH-17 receiver?

How much smaller is the DH-17 compared to the Sterling? The SMG has an 38 mm outer diameter receiver tube. Whet's the diameter of the DH-17 receiver?
Judging by eye, from having seen a screen-used blaster behind glass, I think the diameter is a little smaller than the original Sterling but not by much.
These casts that have been going around are significantly smaller than the screen-used props.

Judging by eye, from having seen a screen-used blaster behind glass, I think the diameter is a little smaller than the original Sterling but not by much.
These casts that have been going around are significantly smaller than the screen-used props.

Ah, OK, thanks!

As a prop-maker, I expect you have a good an eye for this. If I asked you to estimate things, how much are we talking about here? 5%, 10%, 20% perhaps? The reason I ask is I am considering whether scratch-building a DH-17 using some of the measurements for the E-11 is feasible.

The best way I can figure to tell is to try to get measurements based on screen grabs using the scope as a constant.

I for one believe the castings like the one n this thread are very close. Yes, smaller than a sterling but I believe that was in the original design on purpose or by accident. I know the castings are about in between the size of a sterling base (like the MR) and the Hasbro foam dart gun.

The Hasbro is shorter in the front (between trigger guard and silver barrel) and in the back (between grip and endcap) but otherwise I think its overall dimensions are very good: the diameter is just under 37 mm. I would recommend building from casts of a Sterling though so that you would get the details right.

The sticky point is whether the diameter of the receiver on the DH-17 is close to the Sterling. If it was, then the very detailed scale plans for the trigger assembly and grip for the E-11 can be used to make an idealized DH-17. The Sterling was a very simple weapon, basically made from bent steel plates with little machining to the external parts, so building one even from metal is within the grasp of fairly unskilled people like me. Real and copy Sterling grips are even available.

If the DH-17 is clearly smaller than the Sterling, all those fancy drawings the 501 Stormies have made will have to be scaled, and a Sterling grip won't fit.

I don't think the diameter is that of a sterling. It's just a feeling. The screen prop looks quite small. It's always my feeling that the prop was made by taking a cast of a sterling (which might have had some shrinkage) and then cut it apart, added the barrel, and rail to make a master. Then that master was used to make the mold in which created the screen used props. So those too could have additional shrinkage. So no, I do not think a sterling grip would be accurate for size.

It's my hope that someday someone will determine the correct size and fabricate the weapon from scratch.

I don't think the diameter is that of a sterling. It's just a feeling. The screen prop looks quite small. It's always my feeling that the prop was made by taking a cast of a sterling (which might have had some shrinkage) and then cut it apart, added the barrel, and rail to make a master. Then that master was used to make the mold in which created the screen used props. So those too could have additional shrinkage. So no, I do not think a sterling grip would be accurate for size.

I agree with you that's the most likely way these buggers were made. That would account for the smaller size that Darth Lars reported from the screen used prop. The question is of course how much smaller we're talking about here. If it's a shrinkage of less than 5%, building a DH-17 with E11/Sterling measurements for the trigger housing/grip should be feasible. If it's more than that, it will need to be scratch built.

It's my hope that someday someone will determine the correct size and fabricate the weapon from scratch.

The single point sight appears to have been originals. Their sizes should be possible to use as a reference. Lichtbringer posted these measurements:

IMG_20160128_173647_zpswmpggz3a.jpg

I'll assume they are correct. Fiddling around a bit with the screenshot El Loco posted, I get this:

DH-17 copy.jpg

The two lines are just copies of each other. While we can't see the entire receiver due to the troopers hand, the ocular of the sight and receiver seem to be more or less the same diameter. According to Lichtbringers measurements, that gives us a receiver diameter of 35 mm. The Sterling being 38,1 mm, indicating a shrinkage of around 9 %.

I applied the same method to Darth Lars' photo of his cast and original scope, and got this:

Rebelblaster.jpg

This gave me an estimated receiver diameter of 33 mm in front of the scope rail. Perhaps Lars can confirm? This translate to a 13 % decrease in size between this cast and an original Sterling.

Now, my methodology is severely lacking, and the source material (screen shots) is skimpy. Still, with a bit of goodwill, it's possible to correlate what I have found with Mara Jade's Father's theory of how these blasters came about, if we assume each casting reduces the size with a smidge above 4,3 percent. If so, an original Sterling would have been cast, the cast modified and cast again producing the screen props at about 8,5 % reduced size. Taking a cast again would reduce it to just above 13%, like Lars' cast.

The numbers tally with what Lars said about the original prop being noticeable smaller than a Sterling, and his prop being smaller again. The numbers don't ad up perfectly, but my methodology is again not perfect. In comparison, both the nerf-blaster and the Master Replica ones have more or less the same receiver diameter as an original Sterling.

It may be another generation of casting between the cast screen prop and what Lars has, but it might have happened in recent time with more modern material that did not reduce size.

All in all, I would say the original screen prop probably is between 8 and 9 percent smaller than an original Sterling. I'd also like to say Darth Lars has a really sharp eye for scale!

Last edited:
I did a scale comparison by drawing up a line drawing of a Sterling (sans stock), modifying it to a DH-17 and scaling it down 8,5 percent. This seems to fit fairly well with the ANH blaster we see on the screen.

Notice the difference in the ejection port and shell deflector. This probably reflects different Sterling marks. The Sterlings went through at least 7 marks during their production time.

ANH-Sterlingy.jpg

The greyed out slot in the receiver indicate the cocking handle slot, that was blinded off when the prop was produced, probably to ease casting.

Last edited:
The Website "the Parts of Star Wars" also has this photo of the BSA Experimental 1949 Gun which shows some similarity with the front section of the DH-17.
BSA1949MachineCarbine.jpg

Is it already known that the front grip/muzzle was custom machined? It's such a large part, I just wanted to check. That's a heavy mod for an L2A3

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back