1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

When it comes to weathering I would look at heavily used machinery. Boeing used to use a grayish color for their cockpits back around the time Star Wars was released. Looking at some photos of cockpits from that time period, you can get a feel for what would typically be the dirtiest. Here is a great example:

Photos: Boeing 727-1A0 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Note the nicked up edges, grime around the most used switches from their hands, mismatched panels that were replaced from different aircraft, etc.

Hi A,

What great photos! Thanks for the link. I'll definately use those for inspiration. :)

Well... Clearly... I was a little confused this morning... What do you see wrong with this picture compared to the original?

It's too clean? :)

Other than the obvious, the margins on the left and right are too narrow.

The silver border around the insert looks almost--but not quite--like a chrome license plate frame.

From what I can tell in the photographs, it appears there are 3 of them within the cockpit. 2 on Chewie's side and 1 on Han's side. Chris Lee and/or Steve Starkiller might know for certain. I'll send you a PM when I know for sure.

There are 4 of the Volvo dash panels in the cockpit. Two on each side (same positions mirrored).
You should check out the cockpit controls diagram on page 49 of the Haynes Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual ;)

Oh no! The panel is in upside down! Hopefully it's an easy fix. What kind of Volvo did those clusters come from? We have a great junk yard just a few miles away...

I was just thinking today when watching Empire Strikes back. "What if someone made a replica cockpit of the Millennium Falcon?" Dreams do come true

"... I have a bad feeling about this..."

As you see in the pics... I've laid tape down and applied yet another layer of paint. BUT...

My decision to use formica might have been my undoing... If the primer/paint has not fully adhered to the formica and paint sticks to the tape when I remove it... I will have to start the entire console build over again. Which is both good and bad... BAD - I have to start over. GOOD - I'm in a holding pattern (waiting for parts) and it gives an opportunity to readress some of the issues that plagued the build from the beginning. I should be able to knock it out in one afternoon minus sanding and filling.

Let's keep out fingers crossed!
IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

Last edited:

Oh no! The panel is in upside down! Hopefully it's an easy fix. What kind of Volvo did those clusters come from? We have a great junk yard just a few miles away...

BINGO! I cut the hole on the top portion of the panel... not the bottom...

There is no easy fix other than recutting, routing, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, sanding, sanding, etc... :)

The silver border around the insert looks almost--but not quite--like a chrome license plate frame.

GRRR... I have to fabricate a new panel. UGH... not a good day...

SUCCESS!!! For now...

Frog Tape is AMAZING!
IMAG0984.jpg

IMAG0985.jpg

IMAG0987.jpg

If I dont do it right, it will bother me... so I'm going to recreate the front panel.

I also need to start thinking about wiring...

OK OK OK... rub it in! lol :)

I'm redoing the panel this morning. I have to wait a few hours before firing up the power tools. I try to be nice to my fellow neighbors. I wait for the first guy to power up his mower...

I was looking a little closer at the "silver border" and it remind me of a shallow aluminum serving tray/dish you would find in a make line.

I'll dig a little deeper.

Last edited:

I've spent an hour weathering the back boxes and greeblies. I can't attach anything just yet until the "laptop" hinge mechanism I purchased arrives and I figure out where the few LEDs are going.

Going back to my old modeling days... brings back some great memories!
IMAG0991.jpg

IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG0996.jpg

IMAG0997.jpg

I was hoping to have a rust color paint but no luck... but that's ok... :)

On to the new front panel!

Last edited:

Front panel is cut with a bevel edge

IMAG1001.jpg

Created a new front box - there was one particular cut I just couldn't made so I'll decorate it with low profile greeblies (remember, the original ANH version changed considerably for ESB)
IMAG1005.jpg

Sprayed a layer of satin clear
IMAG0998.jpg

Base support painted
IMAG1007.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:

Looks great! Speaking of junkyards again (because we all were, right? LOL.) It is very possible for me to get gauge clusters, interior lights, wiring harnesses, and various greeblies and remove them for really cheap, especially if they don't work. The yard is huge and has literally hundreds of cars, and, being a former mechanic, I can get to the parts fairly easily.

On another note, I think ABS units make awesome wall greeblies for Star Wars ships:
Ford_E150_ABS_400.jpg

Let me know and I could make a trip out to the yard in a few weeks for parts!

New front box

IMAG1008.jpg

Primered up waiting for sanding

IMAG1009.jpg

Front panel with 2 coats of paint...

IMAG1010.jpg

I see what's happening here. You're building a full-scale Falcon from the inside out! :D

Looking great, and your work ethic shames me. :cry

Looks great! Speaking of junkyards again (because we all were, right? LOL.) It is very possible for me to get gauge clusters, interior lights, wiring harnesses, and various greeblies and remove them for really cheap, especially if they don't work. The yard is huge and has literally hundreds of cars, and, being a former mechanic, I can get to the parts fairly easily.

On another note, I think ABS units make awesome wall greeblies for Star Wars ships:
Ford_E150_ABS_400.jpg

Let me know and I could make a trip out to the yard in a few weeks for parts!

Hey Engelnicht,

Thank for the GREAT offer! I've been planning to go to a few yard myself but it's been unbearably humid these past few weekends. I love junk yards...

If I may suggest... study the images of the MFs interior very carefully and try to find parts that closely resemble the actual parts. We're never going to know exactly EVERYTHING the designers used, but I've been trying to get as close as possible - with the exception for the back boxes. :)

Check out these links (thanks Chris Lee): Screen Captures of the Original Trilogy - FRAME by FRAME!

ANH
::Shadow of Reflection: Version 19 - Gott Weiss Ich Will Kein Engel Sein...:::

ESB

ROTJ

Now go forth and DO great thing!

I see what's happening here. You're building a full-scale Falcon from the inside out! :D

Looking great, and your work ethic shames me. :cry

You know... I thought to myself... how could I make this as difficult and near impossible - as possible!!!??? A low and behold... I'm doing a darn good job of it!

My work ethic? Well... let's just say this... my GF and I had been having problems and she decided to end it a few weeks back. So, I focus all my energies on this and other little projects. It helps change the focus...

But I digress...

Srry ta hear that about ya GF bra, I have been readin' every update on this build. It is very unfortunate that ya had ta start over again, I'm lovin' seein' this come ta life as ya build it your doin' an awesome job keep up th' good work bra.:cool:cool

Last edited:

Srry ta hear that about ya GF bra, I have been readin' every update on this build. It is very unfortunate that ya had ta start over again, I'm lovin' seein' this come ta life as ya build it your doin' an awesome job keep up th' good work bra.:cool:cool

Hi R,

Thanks for the kinds words and support. :)

Fortunately, I didnt have to start over on the entire console - just the front panel had to be recut. But all is well and I just laid a second coat of primer on the front panel box. Not sure what color to paint it: Black like the box boxes or chrome? HMMM... maybe a combo?

I'm looking forward to the day when I can start striping - that's when it really come to life!

More to come!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back