Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (DICE)

This has rapidly become a "no buy" for me. I got the first one well after release when they tried to backpedal and fix some things, but I can't see myself paying for a "full" game when this one looks far from it.

15k Imperial credits for Darth Vader! I️ knows a bounty hunter who does disintegration’s for less!

I played the game about 3 hrs last night. I think i still hate the assault mode when my team seems to forget what’s going on and don’t PTFO! Hell, I was getting excited flying the TIE Silencer flying around destroying people and sneaking off and healing. The flying battles are awesome! :)

This is a stupid question, but I’ve read about how it takes 40 hours to unlock a hero. I know it has been patched recently and now takes less time, but what is meant by that? Does it mean you credits now carry over between games and it takes that long to buy the character in a round? Or does it mean you have to pay an initial amount of credits to unlock a character to be able to play as him/her, then in every game you can now spend credits from that game to play as the hero until you die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certain heroes have to be unlocked with credits in order to play as them during a match. Once those heroes are unlocked, they can be played as in a match by accumulating enough battle points. Once you die, you will have to accumulate the same amount of battle points again to play as said hero.

Heroes such as Luke and Vader no longer take 40 hours/60,000 credits to unlock. EA dropped the credit price down to 15,000 for both, but simultaneously decreased the amount of credits earned after completing the campaign and at the end of each match. Essentially they just shifted the scale, making it seem like they fixed the issue, when in reality it didn't do much of anything.

The 40 hours unlock thingy wasn't accurate at all. I know someone who unlocked all the heroes within 12 hours from release.

As for the 'full game'. Well. There will be regular updates with new additions such as Crait and D'Qar from TLJ in December, Utapau (including Grievous as a hero) early in 2018, and later Saleucami, Felucia, Coruscant and others. The game itself without any updates has quite a lot of features, so it's not really a problem.

Last edited:
Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2 in 2004 and 2007 were as sweet as the girl next door.
Today's Star Wars Battlefront 2 is like having to do business with a prostitute - repeatedly.

I'm sorry but I'm still an old fashioned guy. I'm not going anywhere near this horrid game.

Last edited:
At this point, hearing all the problems with P2W and progress being tied to time played, not skill like the Battlefield games, I will wait for a sale. At this point I want to just play the campaign. So far other than Rogue One, new SW has been a big disappointment for me.

Game designers on backlash: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-controversy-we-hated-it-di/1100-6454992/

Who knew gamers wanted fair multiplayer?
2VQZoOM.gif

On the plus side Janina Gavankar looks gorgeous before the Inferno getup on the Star Wars Show.

Last edited:
Belgium is looking at BF2 as well as Overwatch to determine if blind buying loot boxes with real money is gambling.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-...2-loot-box-gambling-belgium-gaming-commission

I bought my BF2 for eight bucks after using a gift card on Amazon, otherwise I would skip it. To be honest, I really only want the campaign anyway, the whole P2W stuff never sits right with me. I feel bad enough I bought the DLC pass on BF1.

Guys I am not a gamer. So I’m not too familiar with “pay to win”

So I’m understanding this correctly, u can basically pay to unlock these characters? And if so how much does it cost to unlock the key characters like Luke and Vader?

So I’m understanding this correctly, u can basically pay to unlock these characters? And if so how much does it cost to unlock the key characters like Luke and Vader?

With the purchase of random rewards I’ve heard estimates of hundreds of dollars per named character.

The 40 hours unlock thingy wasn't accurate at all. I know someone who unlocked all the heroes within 12 hours from release.

As for the 'full game'. Well. There will be regular updates with new additions such as Crait and D'Qar from TLJ in December, Utapau (including Grievous as a hero) early in 2018, and later Saleucami, Felucia, Coruscant and others. The game itself without any updates has quite a lot of features, so it's not really a problem.

Then your friend purchased lootcrates as that is the ONLY way to be able to unlock the characters that quickly. Which is, AGAIN, part of the problems with this game. They've incentivized spending MORE money on a game that is already AAA-title priced (price does vary depending on which version you buy). They've taken the Free-to-Play game model and stuffed it into a standard full price game.

Governments are now getting involved.

Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2 in 2004 and 2007 were as sweet as the girl next door.
Today's Star Wars Battlefront 2 is like having to do business with a prostitute - repeatedly.

I'm sorry but I'm still an old fashioned guy. I'm not going anywhere near this horrid game.

That's the problem, the game itself is great! Gameplay is fun and the visuals are fantastic!
The problem is EA having DICE stuff the leveling system into a lootcrate that can be purchased with additional money beyond the cost of the game itself.
Yes, all of the Star Cards, weapons, mods, etc. can be gotten through just playing the game. That'll take you over 4500 hours to complete using current average credits/round numbers (Here's where someone did the maths) .
Granted not everyone is a completionist, but you get the idea.

I've read a bunch of stuff, but to be honest, until I see it in front of me it's kind of hard to track. It's WAY confusing and over-done. I kinda want to type this out so I can understand it myself. Anyone who's played, please correct me.

There are a handful of currencies/systems to track:

XP
Credits
Crystals
Crates/Star Cards
Scrap
Battle Points

XP earned determines your profile level or rank. Works like most any other game. That said, pretty much everything that needs to be unlocked (heroes, weapons, upgrades, etc) are all gated. Not only do you have to spend one of the other currencies to get them, but you have to have hit a certain rank to be allowed to do so.

Credits are rewarded along with XP. They are the in-game currency and you use them to buy loot crates or unlock heroes. Seems simple-- but that's ALL they are good for. The old simple system of credits being used to unlock everything is gone. You unlock heroes, or buy loot crates.

Crystals function the same as credits, but are bought with real-world money as in-game purchases. $1 = 100 crystals

Crates are the important reward as they contain star cards. They come in three flavors-- assault, starfighter, and hero, and the cards inside are for use in one of those three modes. Star cards can be unlocks, buffs/boosts, or abilities for their specific type. Or they could be poses, emotes, or outfits. The contents of a crate are randomized. So even if you spend a bunch of real world money, you aren't necessarily going to get anything good.

Scrap/crafting parts can be used to craft new cards or perks to existing cards. You get scrap randomly in some crates, or by breaking down duplicate cards in your inventory.

Battle points are another form of XP, but specific to the mode you are playing in. You use them to spawn into a match as a hero / hero vehicle. No more finding hero tokens on the field. But, like the last game, you get to be that hero until you die. That means to spawn in as Vader or Maul or Luke or whomever-- first you have to play enough to have the rank that lets you equip hero cards, you have to have credits to unlock said hero first, then you have to have played a match mode enough times, and done well enough, to earn battle points to have the option to spawn in as the hero. And if, like most of the time I play, you end up on a server with a bunch of no-life having 15 year olds who have the game mastered, you'll get killed within a minute and have to play the match a few more times to get the battle points again.

On top of all that, there are character classes now, which have different stats and use different cards for their boosts, and as a player you have to increase your card level to determine how many star card boosts you can equip.

Different classes have access to different weapons, and weapons are unlocked by passing kill challenges.

yeesh.

People are mad that you have to grind through random boxes for a long ass time to get certain things. Or, you can drop more money (like more than the game costs) to get in-game currency to help you unlock stuff-- but even then, the randomized nature of the loot crates could make it a giant waste.

So again, the game rewards people who spend every waking moment playing, or people who want to pa4 2,3, even 4x the cost of the game to have everything. If you're a casual gamer who just wants to play some Star Wars you're kinda SOL when it comes to multiplayer.

That said, there are offline modes. Arcade mode lets you play similarly to multiplayer, but just by yourself against AIs. It has all the same features and you can get the same stuff for use in multiplayer-- but to keep people from leveling up solo, there is a 24 hour cap on how much it will let you earn. This is basically set to prevent farming, but of course feels like a major ******* move on EA's part.

Campaign is the story mode, it has a very similar system in terms of currencies, but it's all specific to just the single player campaign mode.

At the end of the day, this is confusing AF and everyone is pissed off. EA is going to have to make good, or this game will bomb and Lucasfilm will pull the license.

I've read a bunch of stuff, but to be honest, until I see it in front of me it's kind of hard to track. It's WAY confusing and over-done. I kinda want to type this out so I can understand it myself. Anyone who's played, please correct me.

There are a handful of currencies/systems to track:

XP
Credits
Crystals
Crates/Star Cards
Scrap
Battle Points

XP earned determines your profile level or rank. Works like most any other game. That said, pretty much everything that needs to be unlocked (heroes, weapons, upgrades, etc) are all gated. Not only do you have to spend one of the other currencies to get them, but you have to have hit a certain rank to be allowed to do so.

Credits are rewarded along with XP. They are the in-game currency and you use them to buy loot crates or unlock heroes. Seems simple-- but that's ALL they are good for. The old simple system of credits being used to unlock everything is gone. You unlock heroes, or buy loot crates.

Crystals function the same as credits, but are bought with real-world money as in-game purchases. $1 = 100 crystals

Crates are the important reward as they contain star cards. They come in three flavors-- assault, starfighter, and hero, and the cards inside are for use in one of those three modes. Star cards can be unlocks, buffs/boosts, or abilities for their specific type. Or they could be poses, emotes, or outfits. The contents of a crate are randomized. So even if you spend a bunch of real world money, you aren't necessarily going to get anything good.

Scrap/crafting parts can be used to craft new cards or perks to existing cards. You get scrap randomly in some crates, or by breaking down duplicate cards in your inventory.

Battle points are another form of XP, but specific to the mode you are playing in. You use them to spawn into a match as a hero / hero vehicle. No more finding hero tokens on the field. But, like the last game, you get to be that hero until you die. That means to spawn in as Vader or Maul or Luke or whomever-- first you have to play enough to have the rank that lets you equip hero cards, you have to have credits to unlock said hero first, then you have to have played a match mode enough times, and done well enough, to earn battle points to have the option to spawn in as the hero. And if, like most of the time I play, you end up on a server with a bunch of no-life having 15 year olds who have the game mastered, you'll get killed within a minute and have to play the match a few more times to get the battle points again.

On top of all that, there are character classes now, which have different stats and use different cards for their boosts, and as a player you have to increase your card level to determine how many star card boosts you can equip.

Different classes have access to different weapons, and weapons are unlocked by passing kill challenges.

yeesh.

People are mad that you have to grind through random boxes for a long ass time to get certain things. Or, you can drop more money (like more than the game costs) to get in-game currency to help you unlock stuff-- but even then, the randomized nature of the loot crates could make it a giant waste.

So again, the game rewards people who spend every waking moment playing, or people who want to pa4 2,3, even 4x the cost of the game to have everything. If you're a casual gamer who just wants to play some Star Wars you're kinda SOL when it comes to multiplayer.

That said, there are offline modes. Arcade mode lets you play similarly to multiplayer, but just by yourself against AIs. It has all the same features and you can get the same stuff for use in multiplayer-- but to keep people from leveling up solo, there is a 24 hour cap on how much it will let you earn. This is basically set to prevent farming, but of course feels like a major ******* move on EA's part.

Campaign is the story mode, it has a very similar system in terms of currencies, but it's all specific to just the single player campaign mode.

At the end of the day, this is confusing AF and everyone is pissed off. EA is going to have to make good, or this game will bomb and Lucasfilm will pull the license.

Yep, this sums up everything very nicely. I am really enjoying the gameplay, but am finding myself increasingly confused with the credits systems. It's just a huge mess.

What I'm most confused about is in order to upgrade a card, you have to be a certain rank and have a certain card level..

Common cards = 1
Uncommon cards = 2
Rare cards = 3
Epic cards = 4

From what I understand, card levels are the sum of all the card's numbers you have equipped. So if one character has 2 epic (4) cards equipped, the card level would be 8, right? What I don't get is how in order to upgrade some cards, you have to have like a 15 card level...how do you get your card level up that high??

I think I read that your Star Card level is based on how many cards you have in general as a player, not what you have fitted to your individual character classes. It seems like the more cards you have, and what they are worth, the higher your level? But I can't seem to find any chart that says exactly what the numbers would be.

WHY did they think people would like this?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back