Blade Runner 2049 Dr. Ana Stelline's Hologram Controller

Hi all.
Watched the film on Wednesday and I loved the police officers desk. I think it was the desk of Robin Wright as Lt. Joshi.
It had several monitors on it that were recessed into the desk.
I've got a big study/work area and have always wanted to do a big build of a practical sci-fi desk.
Does anyone have any photo reference of that scene?
Thanks.

Hi all.
Watched the film on Wednesday and I loved the police officers desk. I think it was the desk of Robin Wright as Lt. Joshi.
It had several monitors on it that were recessed into the desk.
I've got a big study/work area and have always wanted to do a big build of a practical sci-fi desk.
Does anyone have any photo reference of that scene?
Thanks.
Try this tread.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276755

It's broader

By the looks of it, Mike Hill took the meter/feet dial from an auto focus zoom lens and inlayed it into the top area. Also the widths of the different collars and dials are slightly off from what we see in the movie. The markings on said dials/collars are slightly different. The main buttons for the fingers are much more proud (as Adam would say). But it's still an amazing reference. Great job, krietsch!!!

I've also been skimming through Google Images, and it looks like many of the buttons are (or are based on) Nikon shutter release and light meter camera buttons.
u_10126927.jpgl.jpgJ5_SL_10_30_PD_top.jpeg

Last edited:
Big update: I found what the ends of the controller are and where the meter/feet focus dial comes from. A Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. ALSO, after looking more closely at the Mike Hall reference, I've confirmed that the many of the buttons come from a Nikon 1 J5 camera body.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.png

UPDATE!

Here is an official image of the Memory Orb from the BR 2049 art book.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpeg

Last edited:
Big update: I found what the ends of the controller are and where the meter/feet focus dial comes from. A Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. ALSO, after looking more closely at the Mike Hall reference, I've confirmed that the many of the buttons come from a Nikon 1 J5 camera body.
View attachment 766003

UPDATE!

Here is an official image of the Memory Orb from the BR 2049 art book.

View attachment 766009

Thank you. That confirms my eyes did see some stickers IE the 'Select' in red and the black arrows on the other side.

There's a Nikon logo on the Mike Hill Design image.
mike-hill-memory-orb-mike-hill-blade-runner-2049.jpg

But I think we're looking at two different props, compare the Mike Hill Design image to the BR 2049 art book.

Untitled.jpg

I'm not sure of the scale, but would camera lens thermos mugs (as seen on ebay for between £6.99 and £9.99) be any use for a few donor parts?s-l500.jpgs-l225.jpg

Last edited:
I plan to make an accurate replica of the controller when I have time and money. But I also have an idea to construct my own that's a little less expensive and custom milled. Adam Savage said in the podcast that the character herself designed and customized certain aspects of the controller. So it's not too much of a stretch that other memory creators also do the same. And I would like to make a version just using lens and collar pieces that would be my own memory controller. It would be awesome to see others on this thread design and create their own versions as well as movie accurate replicas of the controller.

I think what Adam was referring to when he said that the actress could "add her own thing to it" was the fact that it was made into a practical prop so that the actress could decide what to do with the different buttons and such, and not that she or the character actually helped with the physical design process of the device. That said, I do kind of like the idea of each memory creator constructing/designing their own Memory Orb as a right of passage, kind of like a lightsaber for a Jedi.

I had heard that is was a physical, tangible prop. I believe Adam Savage from Tested on Youtube said that he got to handle it when he was on set.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back