Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

One of the things that annoyed be the most was that the pilot kept his goggles on his head for the entire movie but never used them :lol

Thats an odd thing to get annoyed by. He had no cause to use them. Where do you keep glasses that are not currently in use?
......and he took them off after Jedha anyway.

A few possibilities on time period of ANH--

--Yes, we don't know how long the droids wandered in the desert. For that matter, we don't know how long they rode in the Sandcrawler, do we?

How far is the drive to Mos Eisley? That could have been a good part of a day, maybe.

As to the question of how long it took to get to Alderaan; if you really look at the scene it seems to only take a very very short amount of time. (All in one scene) Han comes in from the cockpit saying "Well, you can forget your troubles with those Imperial slugs, I told you I'd outrun them." This possibly implies that this is his first time out of the cockpit since the hyperspace jump. Now, here is where it gets confusing--he then says something about arriving at 0200 hours. What he should be saying is they will be arriving in about TWO minutes! Because the training scene plays straight through for only a couple of minutes before he he says "Looks like we're coming up on Alderaan."

Another possibility of a time jump (very nitpicky, I know) is how long are they on the Death Star? I know the action seems to be very straight forward, but how long did they walk around in all those corridors getting to the elevator and then after the trash compactor? The Death Star is pretty big. When was the last time you were in a really big mall or a huge airport? It can take forever sometimes to get from one end to the other. Like I said, very nitpicky, maybe disregard that one.

Again, we don't know how long it took to get to Yavin IV.

How long did it take the rebels to analyze the plans? Jen told them about the "fuse", right? But surely they had to do some detective work to figure out exactly what to do.

And last but not least, and maybe the most important possible time jump is one I've not heard anyone talk about yet. How long from the time of the Yavin IV battle to the award ceremony? Surely everyone had to be debriefed, clean up, get some rest, get their uniforms pressed, etc before it took place. I will admit I don't know much about the military, maybe some of you military guys and chime in here. How often does a ceremony with that much pomp and circumstance actually take place on the day of the battle? It could have been the next day, or a few days or even weeks before the ceremony took place. We just don't know.

Lucas was never good at portraying the passage of time. It is, in my opinion, one of his biggest failings as a storyteller (the other being dialogue, personally). It is, unfortunately, a flaw that has carried over into other filmmakers in the SW Universe and is one that is unlikely to be rooted out any time soon.

Lucas was never good at portraying the passage of time. It is, in my opinion, one of his biggest failings as a storyteller (the other being dialogue, personally). It is, unfortunately, a flaw that has carried over into other filmmakers in the SW Universe and is one that is unlikely to be rooted out any time soon.
I completely agree.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Generally, most stories of this type simply don't realistically portray the passage of time. It's an unrealistic expectation.

Generally, most stories of this type simply don't realistically portray the passage of time. It's an unrealistic expectation.
The key word in your reply there is 'most'. It CAN be done, it just takes a bit of attention to detail. While I agree that most movies don't show time passage, I strenuously disagree that it's an unrealistic expectation.

To illustrate, in the case of A New Hope, Han's smug line about outrunning the Imperials and feeling everyone is ungrateful could've been moved to in the cockpit and let the rest of the scene in the common area play out as normal. The casualness of the scene (Obi-Wan teaching, Chewie calmly playing holo-chess), would not have felt as jarring with that simple change.

The key word in your reply there is 'most'. It CAN be done, it just takes a bit of attention to detail. While I agree that most movies don't show time passage, I strenuously disagree that it's an unrealistic expectation.

To illustrate, in the case of A New Hope, Han's smug line about outrunning the Imperials and feeling everyone is ungrateful could've been moved to in the cockpit and let the rest of the scene in the common area play out as normal. The casualness of the scene (Obi-Wan teaching, Chewie calmly playing holo-chess), would not have felt as jarring with that simple change.

I've seen ANH around 75 times. Never once did I find that scene jarring. It was already established in the Hyperspace scene that once they made the jump to light speed they'd be in the clear. So, after the jump, it's likely Chewie casually comes back and challenges Artoo to a game of Dejarik, and Obi Wan begins Luke's training. Han hangs in the cockpit--or heck, maybe takes a shower, who knows--before finally joining the others. Annoyed no one's come up to the cockpit to thank him for saving their necks, he pats himself on the back with his, "I told you I'd outrun those Imperial slugs" line, quickly followed by his self-pity line, "Don't everyone thank me at once".

It all makes perfect sense to me. I guess you don't see it that way, firesprite. But I must say, I'm not sure how you'd have Han deliver those lines in the cockpit, when only he and Chewie were even in the cockpit post-jump to light speed. The passengers were all in that room with the Dejarik table.

Merry Christmas,

The Wook

My Star Wars Chronicles book has a nice chart giving standard Hyperspace travel times between major systems. I'll dig it up and share a pic when I'm back home tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've seen ANH around 75 times. Never once did I find that scene jarring. It was already established in the Hyperspace scene that once they made the jump to light speed they'd be in the clear. So, after the jump, it's likely Chewie casually comes back and challenges Artoo to a game of Dejarik, and Obi Wan begins Luke's training. Han hangs in the cockpit--or heck, maybe takes a shower, who knows--before finally joining the others. Annoyed no one's come up to the cockpit to thank him for saving their necks, he pats himself on the back with his, "I told you I'd outrun those Imperial slugs" line, quickly followed by his self-pity line, "Don't everyone thank me at once".

It all makes perfect sense to me. I guess you don't see it that way, firesprite. But I must say, I'm not sure how you'd have Han deliver those lines in the cockpit, when only he and Chewie were even in the cockpit post-jump to light speed. The passengers were all in that room with the Dejarik table.

Merry Christmas,

The Wook
They could have either had Luke and/or Obi-Wan come to the cockpit or had him say it over the comms.

And I adamantly stand by my statement ;) . Originally, I went through and had a bunch of stories and how long they were meant to take during the telling of the story. Stuff from Hamlet to Snow White and the like - but, it got a little complicated as some stories have a bit of an epilog so it's distorts from the idea.

I stand by my statement - there are huge parts of our fandom that could take place over a day, days or weeks - and we don't have realistic portrayal of time. Movie characters don't generally change their clothes, they don't eat and they don't sleep. Are there exceptions to this rule? Sure - but, most of the time it's here's our hero in the clothes we expect him/her in repeatedly despite any probably time passage. Therefore, it's an unreasonable expectation - I stand by that.

Jarring? Tarkin wearing his pink bunny slippers would've been jarring. This scene has played out well for me for almost 40 years now - I'm still cool with it and don't find it jarring at all.

...Chewie calmly playing holo-chess? Camly?

There's also the idea that the Falcon's sublight trip from the asteroid field to Bespin took quite a while - during that time, we got to see Luke train. Again, we got little sense of how much actual time might've passed - they all wear the same clothing, we don't see them eat, sleep or other routine occurrences. Again, not a big deal - the storytelling shows us what we need to see - the sundries aren't a reasonable expectation.

I also Wonder how long was Hansel in the woods following the bread crums ?
Why was Gretel fully clothed while supposedly being cooked ?

its a fairytale in space that became ridiculously successful so is now scrutinized to just as a ridiculous a degree.

Don't feel bad I'm just as guilty .

I finally saw Rogue One. I liked it but I didn't love it. I am glad that they are willing to try new things though and if this franchise is going to thrive like the Marvel movies do they have to take some risks.

I finally saw Rogue One. I liked it but I didn't love it. I am glad that they are willing to try new things though and if this franchise is going to thrive like the Marvel movies do they have to take some risks.
Very true. they are probably realizing that they will actually have to come up with new stories for this to work. Like, massive deviations from the main story. Even with marvel movies, they already have preexisting ideas to work with

Very true. they are probably realizing that they will actually have to come up with new stories for this to work. Like, massive deviations from the main story. Even with marvel movies, they already have preexisting ideas to work with

Indeed. They could inspire from some of the EU (like they did with Thrawn for example) or create completely new stories.

A little design I made for my webstore:

062b7131061f666ec1169146ee2661f4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I watched it a second time yesterday and I must say that it's now my favourite Star Wars movie, before ANH, ESB and TPM. After the debacle of TFA last year, I am so relieved that it shows that it is still possible to get great SW movies. Need to watch it again.

Thorsten

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back