Luke TFA Behind the Scenes Lightsaber Community Build Thread

Bartersnar

Hey everyone, now that Anakin Starkillers run of Luke TFA sabers are being shipped, I figured a build thread was in order!
I won't be able to actually start mine till the weekend so unfortunately that gives this thread a dull start haha.
Here it is anyway, feel free to post your works in progress!

0 20160705_182340.jpg

EDIT: Renamed title to ensure that this is a community build thread for this saber. Removed Anakin Starkiller from the title to simplify it, if that becomes an issue I can always throw it back in.

Last edited:
Re: Anakin Starkiller Luke TFA Lightsaber Build Thread

I have mine as well, but I was hoping for some more reference photos. Also tom is still putting together the completion kits so it looks like some of us will be late to the party.

wicked excited about this! I'm sitting front row

Have mine ready to go. Just waiting on a couple parts to complete mine. Anybody have plans for the black part on the control box? I guess I'll just be 3D printing mine.

I have something "different" planned for mine... just waiting on one part from Roman...

These look great! Awesome saber

Last edited:

I did a few passes of oven cleaner, got the black painted, and the copper on top of that. So far, I'm pretty pleased. I still want to do some topical weathering but I ought to let the black and copper cure fully before I start that.

IMG_1353.JPGIMG_1357.JPGIMG_1355.JPG

So the oven cleaner, do you leave it on till you like the appearance or how is this used.

For real, that copper looks super nice, along with the entire saber. Looks great with his/her counterparts:thumbsup

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm having a total blast with this saber and am pleased at how quickly its coming together.

So the oven cleaner, do you leave it on till you like the appearance or how is this used.
I placed the saber in my sink and then covered it completely in the oven cleaner. I then let the saber sit for 1-2 minutes before rinsing it off with water and drying it off. I did this maybe 6-8 times before I was happy with the results. In between treatments, I'd use 0000 steel wool to buff out some of the more offensive blotches to get a more consistent finish (though you want a little randomness and blotchiness)

MCM, you're copper looks really good - what are you using for that?
I used a blend of metallic acrylic paints from Wal-Mart, actually. The FolkArt Metallic series of paints, to be precise, in particular a blend of 666E Antique Copper and 658E Antique Gold. I then brushed it on very thinly, not quite dry brushing but just about, that way you can't see any brush strokes. I made sure to paint the copper parts black first (along with the grip section); having the black base first helps the copper paint to pop better than if you were to try to paint on the bare metal.

Yea, tutorial please. [emoji12]
I filmed the whole thing. I plan on uploading the results once I can get my recording interface back to do the voiceover work. :cool

Hi,

My lightsaber is not completed yet but this is my work in progress.

IMG_20160709_113221.jpgIMG_20160709_113229.jpg

I used hydrochloric acid instead of oven cleaner to remove the shiny effect and make it darker.
I did one or two passes of 15 sec maximum into acid then washed it with water.

The painting is still fresh so I'm waiting 24h before cleaning it.
I used black matte and copper paint from Rust-oleum.

I will show you the final result in 1-2 days.

Are there any other photos available for comparison of the actual saber.

wow MCM, this came out great!! you nailed the chopper color!! i can't believe u brushed it on, it looks like it was sprayed on, beautiful work!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back