Is it legal to use nerf guns publicly without an orange tip?

Seth Skywalker

Don't know where to put this thread, but since it is related to a SW project of mine, I thought I'd post it here. So I am currently spray painting my Star Wars nerf gun, and am wondering if it is legal to use a completely painted (with out an orange tip) nerf gun in public? Thanks in advance.

As far as legality goes, I'd say it depends on where you're at, for one thing. Are you playing in your yard at home? Whose property are you on? Always think about what it would look like to other folks around you.

I wouldn't really recommend it, in any case. Legality would be the least of your concerns were a cop to get scared and shoot you.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure regarding legality, but in a time when something like a shoe can look like a gun to some people—I wouldn’t advise it—for your own safety. As mentioned above, it’s really about what others might think they see. As you know, nerf guns can undergo a lot of transformation after a paint job! Something even remotely realistic looking seen in public would just be an invitation for problems.

Here’s a Death Trooper nerf gun that I painted last year. Personally, i wouldn’t feel comfortable just walking around with it in public park someplace lol.

v4VsZZQ.jpg

As far as legality goes, I'd say it depends on where you're at, for one thing. Are you playing in your yard at home? Whose property are you on? Always think about what it would look like to other folks around you.

I wouldn't really recommend it, in any case. Legality would be the least of your concerns were a cop to get scared and shoot you.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Thats the main thing I am worrying about. I dont intend on getting shot by a cop (I know its hapend before). It just looks so much better when it doesnt have that orange ring at the front. Would it still be alright to use it fully painted in my back yard?
I’m not sure regarding legality, but in a time when something like a shoe can look like a gun to some people—I wouldn’t advise it—for your own safety. As mentioned above, it’s really about what others might think they see. As you know, nerf guns can undergo a lot of transformation after a paint job! Something even remotely realistic looking seen in public would just be an invitation for problems.

Here’s a Death Trooper nerf gun that I painted last year. Personally, i wouldn’t feel comfortable just walking around with it in public park someplace lol.

http://i.imgur.com/v4VsZZQ.jpg
The exact nerf gun model I am currently painting. Yours looks wonderful, I hope I can make mine look maybe half as good as yours. link to my painting thread
Seth Skywalkers nerf blasters repaint thread.[/h]

Awesome!! I think it’s one of the better looking SW Nerf blasters out there. You’re going to really like painting it! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Some people use an removable orange plug that they can insert and remove as needed.

I like this option because if you've going to a Convention or comic book store or something like that you can insert the orange tip, and then you can remove it for a photo shoot if needed when you're in a more private setting.

Some people use an removable orange plug that they can insert and remove as needed.

I like this option because if you've going to a Convention or comic book store or something like that you can insert the orange tip, and then you can remove it for a photo shoot if needed when you're in a more private setting.
That actually sounds like a legitemat option. Just before I was thinking about just sticking on some bright orange tape, but a plug sounds even better. Ill think about that, thanks.:)

Seen something about that in the Facebook group that other day. I glued a screw on to the back side of the orange plug and added a threaded nut inside the barrel so the plug could screw in to make sure it doesn't just fall out. Very legitimate option for cons and walk-arounds

So the guy with some orange tape around his real semi automatic rifle is ok, because he's got orange tape?

User beware - don't go using or carrying it in public or where people might see it and think you're up to no good. Keep it under wraps/in a bag until your inside the con. Do you have nanny neighbours that will go crazy seeing you in the backyard? If so, even beware in you're own house.

Seen something about that in the Facebook group that other day. I glued a screw on to the back side of the orange plug and added a threaded nut inside the barrel so the plug could screw in to make sure it doesn't just fall out. Very legitimate option for cons and walk-arounds
That's a smart idea! The only thing is, I'm a trying to find a solution so I can have a removable orange tip, but still be able to shoot with the tip on (for in parks, playgrounds etc). Any ideas for that?
So the guy with some orange tape around his real semi automatic rifle is ok, because he's got orange tape?

User beware - don't go using or carrying it in public or where people might see it and think you're up to no good. Keep it under wraps/in a bag until your inside the con. Do you have nanny neighbours that will go crazy seeing you in the backyard? If so, even beware in you're own house.
Kind of pointless since just like you pointed out (no pun intended :lol) any one with a gun could just make the tip of his gun orange. Well... I have one, just one, awfully bothersome picky neighbor. All the others are nice ones and wouldn't mind, I think. Is it in general not good to use a painted nerf gun, even with an orange tip, in parks and such?

In my state, open carry is perfectly legal in most public places, and on your own property. I frequently open carry and have never been hassled, even less so in costume with a prop.

I'd make a commentary on the sad state of people's reactions to guns, both real and fake, but it would delve far too deep into politics.

Check with convention management on their prop weapons policy. I've never run into an issue with needing an orange tip, but others I know have. So a lot of it depends on the venue policy as they can be more strict than local law.

In your own backyard, I wouldn't think it necessary, but I have a live fire target range in my backyard, so my opinion on the matter may be skewed.

It never hurts to ask for clarification from law enforcement.

In my state, open carry is perfectly legal in most public places, and on your own property. I frequently open carry and have never been hassled, even less so in costume with a prop.

I'd make a commentary on the sad state of people's reactions to guns, both real and fake, but it would delve far too deep into politics.

Check with convention management on their prop weapons policy. I've never run into an issue with needing an orange tip, but others I know have. So a lot of it depends on the venue policy as they can be more strict than local law.

In your own backyard, I wouldn't think it necessary, but I have a live fire target range in my backyard, so my opinion on the matter may be skewed.

It never hurts to ask for clarification from law enforcement.
Cool for you you don't need an orange tip. I don't know about California, wich is where I live. I look into it and hope for the best. Costumes also usually help, unless it's a rebel costume.
Liking your new avatar. :)

Haha. California gun laws are quite a bit stricter.. as far as the removable end goes, you could get a rounded PVC cap that would fit over the barrel of your gun, or perhaps a rubber cork that fits snuggly in the end of the barrel?

Haha. California gun laws are quite a bit stricter.. as far as the removable end goes, you could get a rounded PVC cap that would fit over the barrel of your gun, or perhaps a rubber cork that fits snuggly in the end of the barrel?
Or maybe a pvc ring, since I am looking for an orange *something* that I will still be able to shoot with the orange *something* on.
Any other suggestions?

Or maybe a pvc ring, since I am looking for an orange *something* that I will still be able to shoot with the orange *something* on.
That could work too. I'm sorry, I'm still at work lol and trying to read through and respond quickly. A PVC ring would work just make sure it's a decent length (1" long or so like Nerf guns usually have them) so they can be seen and not "mistakened" for anything else (sounds crazy but we all know somebody would use that as an excuse to complain about it).

That could work too. I'm sorry, I'm still at work lol and trying to read through and respond quickly. A PVC ring would work just make sure it's a decent length (1" long or so like Nerf guns usually have them) so they can be seen and not "mistakened" for anything else (sounds crazy but we all know somebody would use that as an excuse to complain about it).
Thanks for the help! I know there are lots of people just waiting for a reason to complain. Any how, you got any ideas as to where I could get such thick (diameter) pvc?

Ah, well, yes. California. Used to live there.

In that case, I'd simply not paint the end of the Nerf gun at all. Leave it the factory orange tip.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back