Looks like another "new" suit for Superman

Il Princerino

Sr Member
yup.jpeg
Well, looks like Superman has, once again, taken a giant step back and started wearing his underwear on the outside again.

I, for one, am genuinely upset about this. I was really digging the Rebirth look. Finally we had a costume that retained the classic iconography, while still being modern enough. Now we're back to being the butt of jokes, by the general populace, about the guy who doesn't understand how underwear works.

Thoughts?

It's a cover for a 1000th issue.

For at least 800 if not more of those issues he had that costume. It makes sense for the cover to feature it.

As far as I know there's been no confirmation that it is permanent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

" A giant step backwards"

How so?

Not all of the changes D.C has made lately, have been progress.

The two aren't always the same.

Superman killing Zod in the movies and Kevin Costner's cowardly portrayal as Pa Kent immediately come to mind.

Superman redonning the briefs and going back to what made him so special is a step forward in my opinion .

Not everyone has to be an antihero...and especially not the greatest superhero of them all.

Superman has killed Zod in the comics a few times, The first time he did it he killed all three phantom zone criminals with Kryptonite, a slow and agonizing death. In the 78 movie he pitched Zod into a bottomless pit after crushing his hand even though he had been rendered powerless. Killing Zod couldn't be more true to the character. If anything the neck break in MOS was the most humane way it's been portrayed so far, but that is neither here nor there. I am talking purely from a design standpoint.

For decades now, the first and greatest hero has been a joke. An archaic costume deemed silly and ridiculed endlessly by the public at large because the relevancy of the design no longer exists. The original design was based off of the costumes of wrestlers and circus strongmen of the turn of the century. pinnacles of strength of the time. That time is no more, no one wears that anymore and every other superhero has been allowed to move forward, to evolve. most every other hero that had the trunks over tights look ditched it almost 20 years ago.

Superman had finally gotten past that, his costume was finally given a more contemporary upgrade, that managed to still retain it's iconic look. Now here we are again, back to square one with a guy who doesn't realize that underwear go under his pants.

The underwear do not bother me at all. But, I have always wondered about the reasoning behind the underwear on the outside. Mainly, why? What is the point of it?

The underwear do not bother me at all. But, I have always wondered about the reasoning behind the underwear on the outside. Mainly, why? What is the point of it?

In the days before "Dancer's belts" and the like, the trunks were worn over tights to avoid having everything "hanging out" as it were...

Way back when, when they first announced they were ditching the trunks I was OK with the idea, thought it might be cool, then they got rid of the trunks. I immediately had a serious issue. My problem with no trunks is this...my eyes go straight to his crotch. And yeah, that's kind of disturbing. If male crotches were my thing this would be OK, but male crotches aren't my thing and the fact that I am constantly aware that the trunks aren't present causes me to fixate on the spot, which again, is disturbing. I'm hoping it's because for all of my childhood and much of my adult life the trunks were there so not seeing them is very jarring, (I'm hoping it's that and not some deep repressed stuff I need to deal with ). Needless to say I was overjoyed when I heard they were going back to the trunks, at least for an issue. I hope it sticks.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back