Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
That’s why I referenced math. It’s neither good or bad, it just is. Personally does it bother me 103 people are negative? No more so then the same negativity that was levied at TFA and Rogue One. Although we didn’t do a poll go back and read those threads, they were similar and yet both those films were voted RPF favorites for the year. I will tell you what does make me sad is how this forum has been forever altered by the Reddit crowd as a result of that Spoiler post. So much of the negativity I’m wading through in this thread is coming from new members I don’t know and I think the tone of this community will never be the same.

Well you know me Bryan,....I supported TFA & RO through all that madness.....but this film is a different beast completely,...I feel I have to voice my opinion,...for quality's sake....it would be a terrible shame if this was the route that future films would take

J

Well you know me Bryan,....I supported TFA & RO through all that madness.....but this film is a different beast completely,...I feel I have to voice my opinion,...for quality's sake....it would be a terrible shame if this was the route that future films would take

J

Which I respect because I have a history with you. :) I don’t agree but that’s ok. I’m having a very different experience and reaction to this film and I am supportive of the choices made. I walked out feeling a powerful connection to the new characters which was the intent I believe.

Ultimately my personal feelings about the movie don't mean a damn thing. At the end of the day it is just a movie. Whether we like them, love them, or hate them, Star Wars movies are now going to be made probably well past our lifetime. The people who are petitioning to have TLJ removed from the canon need to get over it and realize they are no different than the same people who petitioned to have the prequels remade and all that other nonsense. Use your efforts to do something more worthwhile. Movie studios just want your money. They don't care what any of us think. Let's be real here.

Time to get your field of view off opening box office and this poll....the internet is tearing this mess a whole new one and deservedly so. And not just the ANGRY LOUD people.

The “internet” is the least reliable arbiter of anything. Depending on how you set your internet world up it can simply be an echo chamber of your own bias and predilections. The poll is simply binary data. So are critical reviews, so is the box office results. You have to compile various data points to tease out some truths. On a personal level I also consume Star Wars podcast media. I listen to Rebel Force Radio, Full of Sith, Now This is Podcasting, Steele Wars, Star Wars Report, amongst others. These shoes are helmed by fans I’ve known for years and appreciate their insights. Each one of these shows loved the film and had quality discussions about it. This is part of my own bias and echo chamber but it’s part of the internet and is decidedly not negative.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately my personal feelings about the movie don't mean a damn thing. At the end of the day it is just a movie. Whether we like them, love them, or hate them, Star Wars movies are now going to be made probably well past our lifetime. The people who are petitioning to have TLJ removed from the canon need to get over it and realize they are no different than the same people who petitioned to have the prequels remade and all that other nonsense. Use your efforts to do something more worthwhile. Movie studios just want your money. They don't care what any of us think. Let's be real here.

That much is certain. :)

Was anyone else irritated that Luke referred to a lightsaber as a "laser sword"?
Was this just Rian trying to provoke and unbalance the fandom?

For me it was Luke mocking the lightsaber. When he was young he was all about the lightsaber, Was given his Fathers saber by Obi Wan, lost it in the fight with Vader, went and made a new one because, well ALL Jedis had have them! Well, he is now an old man and realizes it is just a "toy" compared to the real power of the Force, that he won't even bother calling it by it's proper name. At least that was my take away with what he said :)

The “internet” is the least reliable arbiter of anything. Depending on how you set your internet world up it can simply be an echo chamber of your own bias and predilections. The poll is simply binary data. So are critical reviews, so is the box office results. You have to compile various data points to tease out some truths. On a personal level I also consume Star Wars podcast media. I listen to Rebel Force Radio, Full of Sith, Now This is Podcasting, Steele Wars, Star Wars Report, amongst others. These shoes are helmed by fans I’ve known for years and appreciate their insights. Each one of these shows loved the film and had quality discussions about it. This is part of my own bias and echo chamber but it’s part of the internet and is decidedly not negative.

Try You Tube. No binary data there, These are people who have gone to the trouble of making a video of their feelings and put on display for all to see. They are not happy.

I am almost at peak confusion. Now we are saying Johnson is "disrespecting" a lightsaber?

Oh well. I'm glad we have a movie and directors moving the franchise forward and don't have to worry about somehow having Han, Leia and Luke as the main heroes of the next 20 years of Star Wars movies.

One of the things I *did* like was the kid at the end, in the sense that Rian is showing us that this "simple stable boy" is "another Rey" - that you don't need to be biologically tied to midichlorians or a certain bloodline to tap into the force. That was the impression I had as a kid and hated how it was handled in the prequels - so I felt like this was a kind of cool course correction.

I am almost at peak confusion. Now we are saying Johnson is "disrespecting" a lightsaber?

Oh well. I'm glad we have a movie and directors moving the franchise forward and don't have to worry about somehow having Han, Leia and Luke as the main heroes of the next 20 years of Star Wars movies.

As was mentioned previously “laser sword” is straight from GL, he constantly refers to lightsabers as laser swords. This was an inside joke.

Yeah, because nobody puts up videos on YouTube that are self-indulgent, poorly thought out, or click bait in an attempt to increase their own fame and fortune.

And YouTube suffers the same up or down voting that social media is awash in. People look at that like empirical data when in reality it’s easily manipulated and not a quality survey of opinion.

I keep seeing people argue that fans who were disappointed with the film were disappointed because it didn't meet their expectations. I had zero expectations and I never care for fan theories. I was disappointed in this film because it was weak, lazy writing.

The absurd amount of copying of the ROTJ throne room scene was extremely distracting even down to the extremely similar dialogue. What is the purpose of this? Why were they so intent on copying that scene? Was it just laziness? All I could think was, didn't we already see this scene? People argue that the scene is different because Kylo kills Snoke... How is that different? Vader also killed the Emperor.

Why in the world would the star destroyer not attack the rebel ship for all that time? It's too slow...? Then why not send out the TIE Fighters again? The TIE Fighters already successfully destroyed the bridge and the ships in the hangar. Why can't they do it again? Like mentioned before, this hasn't stopped the Empire in the past who sent out TIE Fighters into an asteroid field. I'm not buying the in-story reason these writers gave. It was only to allow time to develop two incredibly pointless plot-lines that wasted the characters of Finn and Poe. Neither of those plot-lines led to any development in the grander story. The movie could have ended exactly the same without them. Next time, give these two characters something meaningful to do.

The code breaker betraying Finn and Rose was also cheap and predictable, and I couldn't help but compare it to Lando's betrayal on Cloud City. Lando's betrayal was also predictable, but unlike the dullness with the code breaker story-line, Lando's story had a creative twist in which he was revealed to be a man caught in a no-win situation trying to do his best, and then he redeemed himself in the end as a hero trying to save Leia and Chewbacca. No such creativity existed in this chapter. And what was the point of showing the other BB8 droid on the star destroyer that spotted them? Here I was thinking, oh, I guess the code breaker won't betray them, it'll be this droid that rats them out. But no, that didn't happen, so what was the purpose of that shot? To sell a different version of BB8 as a toy?

I am completely behind having Luke be a shadow of the man he was. What I have a problem with is the reason for it.

Exactly. I'm not opposed to him being a broken man. But the reason they gave completely opposes the essential character of Luke. He risked his life for the belief that his father could be redeemed. He is a hero because he successfully pursued this hope of there being good in Vader. But now he so easily gives up on his nephew and is about to murder him while he lays unarmed in his sleep? Yet this random girl Rey has to tell him that Kylo is conflicted and he can be redeemed? Even Snoke was teasing Kylo being a conflicted boy. How could Luke not see this when he nearly died while fighting for the good in Vader? Sorry, in no way do I find this convincing. It was dumb.

Tell you that Millennium Falcon must have a renewable fuel source not to run low like those base ships!

- - - Updated - - -

No 8 is ranking lower than the prequels for me.

My 22 year old and I agree....

The "good" scenes were the scenes that felt familiar/copied from other episodes. The rest was corny jokes and just boarder-line bad acting/scripting/writing.

Poe attacking the FO at the beginning, could have been a great scene, but theres that stupid drawn out humor.

Luke/Rey/Lightsaber.. could have been another great scene, but he decides to through it over his shoulder..

And many other scenes that start great.. but fall short.

Im still trying to piece together the "good" scenes, in my head, to accept this as a decent SW film. As a fun film with tons of moving parts... its ok..

And I'll say it.... Finn is just another Jar-Jar.. Thats right.. I said it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back