Well, it looks like they made an updated version of Luke's ROTJ saber for TFA...

When Dan and Roy disagree I feel like I'm 8 years old and mom and dad are fighting in front of me.

Haha! Don't worry kid, we're not REALLY fighting ;)

Just to show I'm right:

54a8e7a222c4e4df6e92abbdccf9ea62.jpg

But probably El is right after all of course [emoji1]

Last edited:
On that pics the neck doesn´t look like aged brass anymore, more like painted Alu. :wacko

Nasty little bugger, nothing seems like it looks. :behave

Last edited:
When Dan and Roy disagree I feel like I'm 8 years old and mom and dad are fighting in front of me.

Hey at least they both are in the "recessed" camp, and only differ in current opinion as to the extent. Either option would leave me happy as a clam. A $25 upgrade to get a separate brass or bronze neck, though...now that would leave me in a state of genuine nerd-bliss.

Hey Dan, even if you do these as one one-piece units, will the insides be hollow to cut down on weight?

Hey at least they both are in the "recessed" camp, and only differ in current opinion as to the extent. Either option would leave me happy as a clam. A $25 upgrade to get a separate brass or bronze neck, though...now that would leave me in a state of genuine nerd-bliss.

Hey Dan, even if you do these as one one-piece units, will the insides be hollow to cut down on weight?

No. If they're one piece, then by design they cannot be hollow. To make something hollow on the inside, I'd have to drill an bit honkin hole in it

I'm gonna take a look at the photos and Roys analysis tonight and see what I come up with. I do agree that my current model is probably too deep. But I'm not sure if I agree that the recess is as hollow as Roy has made it.

Dan

Dan-- you have the box on some renders, but not on others-- are you going to save cost by just offering the turned hilt and leave us on our own for the box like the V2? Only asking since I much prefer the V2 Graflex/long lever option. :)

I'd be happy either way though for $100...

Roy's model is pretty compelling to me. To ARKMs point - that would only hold if the emitter were an overall uniform color. I think that inner ring between the 'hole ring' and the 'nipple' is just darkened with paint or weathering.

RE the brass looking less brass in that image - I believe that image is lightened, isn't it?

Dan-- you have the box on some renders, but not on others-- are you going to save cost by just offering the turned hilt and leave us on our own for the box like the V2? Only asking since I much prefer the V2 Graflex/long lever option. :)

I'd be happy either way though for $100...

No, the box will be included

Roy's model is exactly what I started seeing as soon as NeoRutty suggested it was flush. And the center recess is not painted black, the metal's just been darkened somehow.

Regarding the "brass" neck, there's no reason to think it's a separate metal from the rest of the saber. Isn't it a prop builder's job to make fake things look like real things? Those guys are pros at all kinds of faux surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roy's model is pretty compelling to me. To ARKMs point - that would only hold if the emitter were an overall uniform color. I think that inner ring between the 'hole ring' and the 'nipple' is just darkened with paint or weathering.

RE the brass looking less brass in that image - I believe that image is lightened, isn't it?

If that were true, it would reflect light more (especially in the pic that shows it lit up from the Kylo Ren side blade). The room is just not that dark. The only way it could be reflecting the nipple to make it appear longer yet somehow not light up the rest of the supposed black painted metal is if that black ring were made of deep water instead of metal, which of course it can't be 'cause physics/gravity.

As for the brass neck. While darkened it also looks very glossy. Kinda looks like transparent paint like the automotive Dupli-Color Metalcast paints. Using said paints, it could possibly be yellow covered by shadow chrome black-out coating with a gloss clear coat on top. Of course it could be weathered brass with a gloss clear coat on top as well. *shrugs*

Last edited:
IMO, I feel as if the version where the recess is deeper is correct.
Also, the first black ring in order going from Pommel->Emitter looks a little too tall to me. I feel as if that section should be more similar to the hero.

Idk if this matters, but the graflex seems to have a brass eye, instead of the knurled finish. That might help in determining what these props were used for.

I'd pretty much bet my life's savings the neck is painted and not a separate piece.

On the made part ..... unfortunately/probably yes.

It´s thought to look like brass, but they decided to fake it instead of going just one step further and do it right. :rolleyes

I don´t care - i will not paint. First leave it alu untill i make a new from brass.

IMO, I feel as if the version where the recess is deeper is correct.
Also, the first black ring in order going from Pommel->Emitter looks a little too tall to me. I feel as if that section should be more similar to the hero.

Idk if this matters, but the graflex seems to have a brass eye, instead of the knurled finish. That might help in determining what these props were used for.

I agree with your comments about the recess and the first black grip ring. In the frame with the lit Kylo saber the length of that black ring is better visible since the red light is only bouncing off of the first grip groove -- it looks like the length of that first black grip ring is about 1.5x or at most 2x the length of a silver grip ring.

View attachment 613883 (from ARKM)

One of the Graflexes used on screen had a glass eye with the knurling turned down smooth - so this new Luke is among at least two screen used sabers in that shot.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back