Immortan Joe's Mask, from Mad Max - Fury Road.

thomasotom

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I'm a modelmaking student at the Arts University Bournemouth in the UK. After seeing the trailer for Mad Max - Fury Road I had to have a go at Immortan Joe's mask. It wasn't a university project, just something I did in my spare time, anyway, I finished it this week and wanted to share how I did it.

I started off sculpting in Chavant NSP medium over a lifecast of a guy with a big face, this is quite handy for helmets and masks as they'll fit most people.

Joes.jpg

For the mould I used Tinsil 7025 Silicone, this picture shows the clay wall which will create the keys to register the silicone in the fibreglass jacket to be made later and the first "beauty layer" which is just poured on unthickened.

moulding.jpg

I used four layers in all, two unthickened, then two more thickened with 2% thixotropic additive and brushed on. On top of the last layer I pinned on some pre made silicone keys.

moulding 2.jpg

Once this was cured I trimmed the edges and removed the clay wall and popped a quick wet clay wall along the centre of the mould to create the dividing point of the two part fibreglass jacket that will hold the silicone in place.

moulding 3.jpg

This is the completed mould along with the first cast, I used cold cast aluminium in order to get the best finish on the metal parts, this photo is straight out of the mould so it needs sanding trimming and polishing.

mould and cast.jpg

For the valves that connect the gas mask hoses I hunted around some DIY and plumbing stores hoping that this might be some standard fitting but had no luck, so in the end I drew them up in Rhino estimating the dimensions from the screenshots and 3D printed them. I then made a quick box mould so I could cast them out of fast cast resin.

valves.JPG

This photo shows the trimmed mask with the metal parts polished up. I start out sanding with a fine or superfine sanding pad before painting on a wash of iron paste thinned down with white spirit to give some depth to the recessed areas. Once that has dried I give it another light sanding, then a good polish.

DSC_7315.JPG

After that, I masked off the metal areas and painted the rest with a combination of acrylics with brushes and acrylic inks with an airbrush. The hoses are from gas masks and I found them on ebay.

both.jpg

done.jpg

The last job was to add an adjustable strap which I took from a go-pro headcam and some padding to the inside, these are currently still drying right now so I'll update with images if anyone's interested this weekend.

So that's that, hopefully that was interesting and of some use for anyone planning a similar project.

Cheers,

Tom.

Wow! This is amazing work! And yeah, if you're planning on or would be willing to sell casts, I'd be very much interested in one!!!

I was just thinking of doing a Immortan Joe's mask, awe man that looks awesome. congrats sir crazy cool :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back