Johnny Sokko's wrist watch

MikeJ

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am interested in building a replica of the wrist watch used on Johnny Sokko and his Giant Robot. Has anyone identified the brand of watch that was used? I can't obtain a clear enough screen cap to determine the brand.

Johnny Sokko watch face.jpg
MJ

I've looked at watches from that period, and I'm guessing it's based on a model of Seiko watch. Of course, the thing opens up so who knows what they could have thrown together for the show. But I'm going with Seiko anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question, I built mine out of my Fathers old busted up Timex years ago.

Wish I still had it

Hi MikeJ, Great project idea, Good luck with the build, one of my favorite shows growing up, very little info on the web, no clue of the brand or model, I did find the Samsung Galaxy gear commercial from a couple of years ago, it features all the cool high tech watches from all our favorite shows including Johnny Sokko's, it's a great shot of the inside anyway, hope this helps,

1967-from-johnny-sokko-and-his-flying-robot.jpg

[video=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9sN8az_85A

Last edited by a moderator:
He has not been on the board since June of last year.

Maybe he built the watch and it worked!

I hope the gargoyle gang hasn't captured him lol ,this would be a cool project I remember this show from when I lived in Japan and the kamen rider and ultraman, i think the rocket back packs and helmets are cool anyone ever done those, this show was typical for the late 60's and early 70's high tech for the day amusing today.

There's one that's closer. The watch has been modified to do the "hinge" bit, and the lower half isn't from the same watch model, but the face appears to be from this one:

54764217_1_x.jpg

Hope this helps. Another thing to look for is Seiko braille watches from that era, but those typically have the crystal only on a hinge.

Try searching for "Seikomatic Diashock" for more candidates

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of vintage watches. The 17 on the watch face may refer to the jewels in the watch

search for vintage 17 jewel watches. I’d guess from around 1950s to the 70s.

There's one that's closer. The watch has been modified to do the "hinge" bit, and the lower half isn't from the same watch model, but the face appears to be from this one:

View attachment 800092

Hope this helps. Another thing to look for is Seiko braille watches from that era, but those typically have the crystal only on a hinge.

Try searching for "Seikomatic Diashock" for more candidates
I know this is an old thread however that watch look awesome does it open from the top?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back