Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
That would have been a lot funnier if they left out the SJW comment. That sure as hell wasnt around in 1980. I wasnt around in 1980, what did you old timers think when it was released in 1980 vs how revered it is now? Empire Strikes Back I mean.

Was 14 at the time . My friends thought it was fantastic . Me not so much upon first viewing . I remember being pretty angry in not wanting Vader to be Luke’s dad , and Han getting closer to Leia . I wanted her to end up with Luke . Guess the fact that I’d read ‘ Splinter of the Minds Eye ‘ prior to seeing it added to that feeling of what if they’d made this instead ? LOL!!

Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas and , a Safe Happy New Year !

Last edited:
That would have been a lot funnier if they left out the SJW comment. That sure as hell wasnt around in 1980. I wasnt around in 1980, what did you old timers think when it was released in 1980 vs how revered it is now? Empire Strikes Back I mean.

My crew we were all 13 years old give or take, we were blown away. The walkers. the asteroid field, a glimpse of Vader without his helmet, we actually see the emperor, a full on saber battle, some real teachings of the Force from a muppet! Boba Fett, the Imperial march, Williams cranked out a score with all kinds of good new stuff, just goes on and on. I think the biggest gripe was it was a cliffhanger, no happy ending and now we had to wait three years to find out what happens, and that included if Vader was his father or not, there was still some doubt. The space slug was another gripe, a bit silly. Basically minor concerns. So much was all new, and you took time to consume the film's content. Today it's wham bam show me something else. I certainly revere it now as much as I did then, moments still give me the same feelings to this day, Yoda raising the X-Wing. Luke's committment to his friends.... "Artoo... fire up the converters" As Yoda gives some final teachings in hope Luke will not turn. I won't call it the best, SW77 IS the best. Period. ESB was a fantastic followup to SW77, no sequel to such a perfect film as SW77 has ever been as satisfying.

My rank is the following:

1. TESB (for exactly the reasons CessnaDriver stated ).

Then comes nothing for a very long time.

Then there are T2 and Aliens, followed by ANH & ROTJ & RO. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a double feature of the first two movies when I was six. ( I can't believe I stayed awake) empire was instantly my favorite.

Anyways has it been mentioned that we saw that thing with the mystical wolves, like two episodes ago on Rebels?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lando was made a general. A GENERAL. I wish TLJ's more nitpicky detractors would think about how earth shatteringly stupid that is and how effortlessly most people accept it today.

Honest to god, a GENERAL.

Well somebody must have told them about his little manoeuvre at the battle of Taanab ( but don't look at me).

What ever you think about any of the films at least there are some classics in there that will be forever golden to you, no matter what generation you are .Have a good Xmas everyone .

Happy Christmas everyone. I just hope I get one of these from Santa. ;)

IMG_2341.JPG

Ben

The OT is only ever viewed through welded on rose tinted glasses and hardwired nostalgia. They do no stand up to nor are subject to the same cold modern critique and dissection that TLJ or any new Star Wars films receive. TLJ will possibly be seen as the best of this trilogy in time I’m betting.

I apologise for the post.

Apology accepted.

Perhaps a little better judgement could be shown by you next time when refering to people as *you* instead of who it actually was. Especially in such an "emotional" and fluid thread.

...AAAand here we go. The inevitable justification, which invalidates the apology completely, and belies the truth; that there was never a sincere intent in said apology. you ought to have stopped there.

It is precisely that this thread has become "emotional" and "fluid" that I had decided not to point fingers and name names in the first place. I suppose that point was lost on you (and by you I mean literally YOU, Mr. Webber).

This one was kind of funny, but many are not, and it’s an unfunny sentiment that’s been awfully widespread this week.
Toxic fan base is not nitpicking a movie in a forum that’s almost entirely about nitpicking movies.

toxic fan base is when you have one franchise that’s apparently so sacrosanct that you’re not allowed to nitpick it without being personally insulted for doing so.

Ive been following the thread, but ultimately decided to keep most of my thoughts on the movie to myself. This just doesn’t seem to be a place where people are open to that kind of discussion anymore.

I don't know that I'd agree that it isn't open to discussion. But I feel the problem lies in that seemingly almost nobody these days is capable of actually discussing without getting inflamed if the other doesn't automatically concur with them. Also, it seems a virtual impossibility for some to state how they feel without using the most bombastic language...taking things to the utmost extreme, and making every scenario an all-or-nothing proposition.

In short, there seems little room left for give and take, which is what true discussion thrives on. instead, most stake out their camps, dig in behind their walls and refuse to give an inch.

- - - Updated - - -

As in why wasn’t there a compulsion to aid the resistance / rebellion against the FO earlier ?

Perhaps because The Force had not Awakened yet?

Isn't it amazing that a lot of people who love TLJ are hyper critical of the OT to try and justify TLJ'S flaws. The OT has stood the test of time. In ten years I sincerely doubt TLJ will hold up so well, or be remembered fondly.

Hmmm.... I love TLJ.

I also love the OT.

I don't see why they need to be mutually exclusive. Like, is it considered impossible for one to love both?

It should not be.

Thats a hell of a task to ask of someone, who admired a hero for taking "the high ground" and not falling to the Darkside, like his father before him.

I can compartmentalize, certain scenes.. as head scratching as they were... but to do the same with (was what a MAIN character/hero).. thats a tough one

The only way.. is to tell myself that Luke turned out just like Yoda..intimidated by the "new" world.. and hid.. until fade away

Well in Luke's defense he never did "fall to the dark Side". He discovered that absolutes on both sides are folly, and found the truth in the middle--the balance. He became VERY wise... just as Yoda is. He progressed past the very limited human capacity for absolutes, and embraced the real truth. This is precisely what i love about the conclusion of Luke's arc.

Not many would have thought to bring Luke to this eventuality (it certainly doesn't seem to be popular) but it it is not only daring, it is also quite right.

- - - Updated - - -

***** Freaking ******, I didn't know that this movie was so divisive even on the RPF. I freaking loved it. Ever little pixel of it.

Loved Leia Force pulling herself to the ship, the crystal foxes, the porgs, Snoke's death, Luke's bitterness, Poe's assholeness, Finn and Rose in Monte Carlo and the fancy cantina vibe, the space horses being set free, Benicio Dele Toro, the Fantasia moment with the slave/rebel kid and the broom... Loved every little thing of it.

I watched three times and every time it was freaking amazing. Really amazing.

It's such a shame that not every one had the same experience as I had. I'm so happy. Wish the rest of the world was too.

Quite so. I agree with you on almost every point, and the ones upon which i don't agree don't matter so very much.

Merry Christmas, fellow Star Wars lover :)

The whole "mind meld" thing confuses me.. why mind meld Kylo to Rey?,,, that was his demise..brought those 2 much closer

While this is how it turned out, it seems clear that Snoke did not count on it being so. He gambled that either:

A. Ben Solo would do as he had instructed, and kill Rey... thereby eliminating a threat from the Light.

OR...

B. Rey would turn and kill ben Solo and then Snoke could go to town using that to pervert Rey and turn her to his new apprentice.

In his mind, either way he wins.

But--as with the Emperor of old--his arrogance was his undoing.

My overall point was that if Snoke was that powerful to do all that then why not just track Luke down and kill him. Why go through all the effort to bother with Rey?

Uhhhh... he WAS trying to track down Luke.

Have we all forgotten TFA, and "Give me the map to Skywalker"? That was literally why Snoke had sent Kylo Ren on that quest in the first place. But though that fell through, Snoke instead accidentally became aware of Rey, and shifted his focus there.

Well in Luke's defense he never did "fall to the dark Side". He discovered that absolutes on both sides are folly, and found the truth in the middle--the balance. He became VERY wise... just as Yoda is. He progressed past the very limited human capacity for absolutes, and embraced the real truth. This is precisely what i love about the conclusion of Luke's arc.

Merry Christmas, fellow Star Wars lover :)

Or maybe wiser.

If he found balance between light and dark....while living.

"the prophecy misread, could have been"

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it amazing that a lot of people who love TLJ are hyper critical of the OT to try and justify TLJ'S flaws. The OT has stood the test of time. In ten years I sincerely doubt TLJ will hold up so well, or be remembered fondly.

I don't think anyone is attempting to justify TLJ by highlighting shared similarities with the original films. The points being made are that if TLJ is going to be criticized for certain aspects that also happen to be present in the highly coveted OT, then both should be held accountable. You can't complain about a certain element in a film and then overlook the fact the same element exists in a film you adore and respect. It's called hypocrisy.

What are the ‘ certain aspects ‘ of the OT and TLJ are you referring to ?

I'm not referring to any specifically. I was just explaining why the OT is seemingly being criticized. But to answer your question, the comparison between Snoke and The Emperor comes to mind. A lot of people seem really bothered with how Snoke was handled. No backstory or explanation as to how he came to power. Prior to the prequels, the very same thing could be said of The Emperor. We didn't need exposition for that character then, why do we need it for this character now? That's just one example.

This one was kind of funny, but many are not, and it’s an unfunny sentiment that’s been awfully widespread this week.
Toxic fan base is not nitpicking a movie in a forum that’s almost entirely about nitpicking movies.

toxic fan base is when you have one franchise that’s apparently so sacrosanct that you’re not allowed to nitpick it without being personally insulted for doing so.

Ive been following the thread, but ultimately decided to keep most of my thoughts on the movie to myself. This just doesn’t seem to be a place where people are open to that kind of discussion anymore.

Nitpicking is what the people who liked it are doing! There is plenty to discuss. Nitpicking is not "Bad writing, lazy writing, I can never watch the OT again after this where oh where has my Star Wars gone"

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back