Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Absolutely. As with TFA and TLJ, we just have to allow them to tell the story they want to tell and not become so married to our own personal wants and desires. That’s inevitably leads to disappointment. We should critique these films based on what they are vs. what we expect them to be.

And regarding the TLJ thread, allowing that Reddit like initial spoiler conversation and all the new Reddit users who signed up for the RPF has irreparably damaged the quality of conversation on this forum, IMO.

Nobody walks into a Star Wars movie with a clean slate. Having expectations about any film, let alone a Star Wars sequel film dealing with well established (and well loved) characters and narrative ideas, does not invalidate the opinions you form after seeing it.

Moving forward from TLJ is going to be very tricky. While I appreciate that they tried to subvert what was expected of TLJ, they left the story and characters in a strange place. And I feel very strongly that the film suffered from trying to counter expectations.

I'm interested to see what JJ does with the next episode for so many reasons. The least of which is to see if he "fixes" what was done in The Last Jedi.

All they really need to do is let there have been some years pass for a new conflict to have arisen and work in some new mysteries needing answered. It's how Episode 4 started right in the thick of things. It could add something fresh to the excitement under the First Order since Kylo took the reigns. Time passage is important though so that we're not simply picking up from the very moment where it was left off.

Give some time for Rey and the new Rebellion to grow, and some time for Kylo to establish his new level of maturity and dominance in the galaxy as Supreme Leader.

All they really need to do is let there have been some years pass for a new conflict to have arisen and work in some new mysteries needing answered. It's how Episode 4 started right in the thick of things. It could add something fresh to the excitement under the First Order since Kylo took the reigns. Time passage is important though so that we're not simply picking up from the very moment where it was left off.

Give some time for Rey and the new Rebellion to grow, and some time for Kylo to establish his new level of maturity and dominance in the galaxy as Supreme Leader.
Absolutely. One of the biggest mistakes they made in this series was ending TFA on that cliff. It forced them to pick up where they left off.

An opera needs a chance to grow between chapters (like all the other star wars movies)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've seen that a few times... I still don't see where it says that using the power is in any way dangerous to the user or can kill them...

It's not in the book, but it IS in the movie.

Kylo flat out tells Rey 'You cannot be doing this, the effort would kill you.'

My guess is that it was never stated prior to this, but also that the power wasn't used anywhere prior to this, so, they can make it kill you to do it by defining it in the movie itself.

My take is that it was not the act of making the duplicate, but more the strength/effort required to do so from light years away (and for such a length of time) that made it lethal. When snoke did it for Rey/Kylo, it lasted a few minutes before breaking. Luke, well, that lasted a whole lot longer.

God, I hope they won't be calling him Supreme Leader Ren. Supreme Leader Snoke or just Leader Snoke was already cringe inducing enough.

It's not in the book, but it IS in the movie.

Kylo flat out tells Rey 'You cannot be doing this, the effort would kill you.'

My guess is that it was never stated prior to this, but also that the power wasn't used anywhere prior to this, so, they can make it kill you to do it by defining it in the movie itself.

My take is that it was not the act of making the duplicate, but more the strength/effort required to do so from light years away (and for such a length of time) that made it lethal. When snoke did it for Rey/Kylo, it lasted a few minutes before breaking. Luke, well, that lasted a whole lot longer.

Force use equaling a physical effort is nonsense. It should be no more physically straining to force project :)facepalm) across a room or a galaxy.

Do you see Yoda panting with physical effort? It's like RJ watched a cut of ESB without Dagobah.

Last edited by a moderator:
A clever subversion would have been to have Rey be the catalyst for Luke. He is a crazy melancholic old hermit and her persistence and attitude brings him to a point where he is ready to be a mentor again. She brings him out of his self-imposed exile so he can give back to the galaxy again. She gains something from it, he gains something from it, it keeps her in the spotlight, and Luke is redeemed in such a way that allows him to keep going.

The way it is written currently is just an inflated, poorly-written rewrite of OWK- Mentor making the sacrifice to ignite the protagonist.

This. The main point of Luke being on Dagobah with Yoda is for him to grow as a character, the audience doesn't only learn about the Force we learn a lot about Luke through his actions, the questions he asks, the doubts he has, etc. I think a smart way of changing the old master-apprentice pattern could have been to make Rey somehow pull him out of his sulking so that he's willing to take on her but realize that since he cut himself off from the Force it's not just flicking the switch back on. So in the end they need each other's help and the master ends up learning from the apprentice as well.

I think on the surface TLJ is a really fun movie. I have seen it six times now and every time I watch it i come out of it thinking "Yea, that's good movie". However, after I start digesting later what just saw it starts to disappoint me again. Very weird for a movie to do that. Hopefully you'll like it better after after a second showing. I really wanted to like this movie but I've given up after 6 attempts. Not sure I'll get it on DVD yet either. Good luck!
I've had this experience, namely Pirates 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness. I think the reason they work like this is because if you just follow the plot in linear way it looks okay. The way those were written is when we are getting to B we only look at A, when we are getting to C we only look back at B and so on, it's like Chinese whispers. There is no coherence or an overarching plot arc, the links in the chain are joined together yes, but they are not a proper chain, but a string of different hodgepodge individual links.
I have to say the Jabba part of ROTJ is like this too, you can follow the plot and the action as the individual characters come in one by one and what they do and why, but if you try and imagine how this was actually planned out in advance by the characters it starts to fall apart.

Don’t know if this is old news but the Star Wars show has a clip from a few deleted scenes, one including Rey running with the light saber, part of the 3rd tear

https://youtu.be/52L2HML5O1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was apparently a long deleted sequence, as far as I remember Luke was trolling Rey. There was some noise and fire in the distance and Luke said it's just a band of pirates who come every once in a while to kill and sack the space-nuns. Rey was horrified and wanted to save them but Luke said there's no point because then the bandits will just come back later with even more force and kill everyone. Rey ran to help them regardless (scene from trailer) but it turned out that there was no pirates only the nuns having a house-party or something. Then Rey confronts Luke who says that was the third lesson to which Rey gets angry with Luke telling him that her friends are actually dying out there and he shouldn't joke with this and Luke becomes sad and embarrassed.

This is exactly the thing. I'm sure this will happen and this is really the only logical way to start Ep9. The problem is that what's left hanging at the end of TLJ will be resolved in the title crawl.
- How will the Resistance grow
- How will Kylo solidify his control over the First Order
- What general direction will Rey go with her Jedi business
Potentially:
- What happened to Leia

Unless they start again right after TLJ then everything that was left there at the end and can grow into a story will have to be recapped in the first 10 minutes of the film. Which then leaves Ep9 to develop its own arc almost from scratch which is not exactly how the closing chapter of a trilogy works. Anything other than "let's go shoot Kylo and the First Order with lasers" will most probably feel ham-fisted and rushed because new directions will need to be introduced, developed and resolved within one movie. The only thing really that's still out there is the Knights of Ren. That's again why it would have been interesting to see Ren and Rey team up so that they would be caught pretty much in crossfire, Resistance would deffos be against them so would a large chunk of the FO if they learn they killed Snoke and the Knights of Ren could come and be after them, etc...

There are a load of ways they can go with this to link the old and the new, even with the opening:

The IMMEDIATE problem they have to address is the Hyperspace tracker (HT). Afterall the entire premise of VIII is built around it.

So, given that both the First Order and Resistance fleets have been quite literally smashed my personal favorite is the Resistance has to mount a mission to go back into the wreckage to pull out the remains of the hyperspace tracker, or obtain one from another FO ship.

As Resistance craft, PARTICULARLY the Millienium Falcon can be tracked I'd like to show Poes progress as a strategist straight from the beginning . This has become almost a covert civil war now, with both sides terribly weaked and having to plan strikes with limited forces.

Knowing the Falcon can be traced Poe sets it up as a lure to either draw a FO ship into a trap so it can be boarded ( so you have a reverse of the original New Hope openning where its the FO ship thats disabled and boarded like the Blockade Runner , and Rey reintroduced in the raiding party like Vader).

Or you have the Falcon run a number of decoy jumps, to distract from the fact another Resistance team is inflitrating the wreckage field from the end of VIII intent on scavenging the remains of the HT, but then trapped by the Knights of Ren. They then have to escape the debris field ,whilst being pursued by the Knights .
And there are about half a dozen ways to reintroduce characters back in the following battle depending on the outcome wanted.

Either way you get two strong action openning scenes. You can also retcon it to bring in alot of elements from the old trilogies whilst tying all of that to Jakku, Reys parentage, Kylos new command structure of the FO and where we start of again with IX.

I came up with about half a dozen "pitch scripts" over XMas to see if I could restore and also take IX in a direction that was more towards TFA than TLJ whilst balancing all the changes introduced by Rian and it was surprisingly easy to do. I'm fairly confident JJ and his team can do the same though they are up against it interms of time.

I have little doubt that's exactly what they're going to do and it's, no offense, unoriginal, uninspired, and exacerbates the main problem with this new trilogy so far: at the most basic level, it's just a condensation of the first 6 films.

The following synopsis describes both the OT and the ST: "When the galaxy's legitimate government is overthrown and a new regime takes charge through violence and terror, a group of freedom fighters must rise up and fight back in order to restore peace to a galaxy in turmoil." Throw in a competent enforcer and a would be/will be Jedi...I feel like you know where I'm going with this. Say what you will about Legends canon, but at least they didn't go back to the same well the characters already fought out of once before.

So, given that both the First Order and Resistance fleets have been quite literally smashed my personal favorite is the Resistance has to mount a mission to go back into the wreckage to pull out the remains of the hyperspace tracker, or obtain one from another FO ship.

You forget though, in the crawl they say FO forces are out to seize control of the galaxy while these guys mop up what's left of the resistance, which suggests that they are far larger than just what was at Starkiller Base and these guys pursuing the resistance. Trust me, I wish what you're saying was the case. Unfortunately...well, see above lol.

Last edited:
There is no coherence or an overarching plot arc, the links in the chain are joined together yes, but they are not a proper chain, but a string of different hodgepodge individual links.
I have to say the Jabba part of ROTJ is like this too, you can follow the plot and the action as the individual characters come in one by one and what they do and why, but if you try and imagine how this was actually planned out in advance by the characters it starts to fall apart.

I plotted out the plan once, the final escape ended up being Plan E

At the risk of reignighting an argument, which is not my intention, I've been listening to How Star Wars Conquered the Universe and it said there's a 4k version of the original 1977 cut of ANH at the a library of Congress. Didn't say anything about the others though.

I have little doubt that's exactly what they're going to do and it's, no offense, unoriginal, uninspired, and exacerbates the main problem with this new trilogy so far: at the most basic level, it's just a condensation of the first 6 films.

The following synopsis describes both the OT and the ST: "When the galaxy's legitimate government is overthrown and a new regime takes charge through violence and terror, a group of freedom fighters must rise up and fight back in order to restore peace to a galaxy in turmoil." Throw in a competent enforcer and a would be/will be Jedi...I feel like you know where I'm going with this. Say what you will about Legends canon, but at least they didn't go back to the same well the characters already fought out of once before.

You forget though, in the crawl they say FO forces are out to seize control of the galaxy while these guys mop up what's left of the resistance, which suggests that they are far larger than just what was at Starkiller Base and these guys pursuing the resistance. Trust me, I wish what you're saying was the case. Unfortunately...well, see above lol.

While there may still be a large fleet out there - i still say they woouldn't all follow Kylo. They know he's a brash twit and not a leader. The loss of Snoke could very well throw them into internal conflict as well. That said, i'm guessing Kylo won't be the overall big bad either. I'm guessing Snoke or someone as or more powerful comes out of the woodwork claiming it's been them all along and Kylo winds up having to join with the reistance to take down the big bad.

I wonder if JJ is going to also start E9 with the lines "This will begin to make things right."

Lol. Long before this is released, KK will be gone and Ruin Johnson will be gone. The reality of the failure of TLJ as a Star Wars movie will have set in with all involved at the highest levels as it has with everyone else apart from the ever decreasing group of its supporters.

Contrary to what some will try to sell you, criticism has come from men, women and even children, especially on You Tube. Abrams will be given a clean slate, within reason, to "make things right" and make sure that the Star Wars name will never have to be removed from one of its stories ever again anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
The opening scene of episode 9 will pan down to the MF in space and show Rey waking up to hear a shower running! When she goes in to see who it is, the curtain is pulled back to reveal LUKE, who says "Good morning Rey, ready to start some training today"! TLJ was all just a dream!!!!

Oh wait, that was 1980's Dallas

Lol. Long before this is released, KK will be gone and Ruin Johnson will be gone. The reality of the failure of TLJ as a Star Wars movie will have set in with all involved at the highest levels as it has with everyone else apart from the ever decreasing group of its supporters.

Contrary to what some will try to sell you, criticism has come from men, women and even children, especially on You Tube. Abrams will be given a clean slate, within reason, to "make things right" and make sure that the Star Wars name will never have to be removed from one of its stories ever again anywhere in the world.

I'm holding you to this. :)

Without rehashing my many criticisms, the one undeniable fact whether you're a fan or not, is that 8 has no resonance. No one talks about the film substantively; any dialogue is resigned to argument, which I myself get too involved in, and end up hating myself for it. Not even so much because I hated the film (I did), but more the lack of interest I feel in SW in general, and not really knowing if it's the fault of the film specifically, the fault of how the genre is handled, the fault of Hollywood in general, or just where I'm at as an "adult". Hate that. :-\

"Box office" is the result of a previous film in a series, as much as anything. It kinda pisses me off that there will be no litmus test to really establish 8's detrimental effect on the saga, since everyone will be clamoring to see the story wrap up, regardless if they liked 8 or not. Can't tell you how crappy it feels, admitting I wouldn't mind a SW movie tanking, just to get some of these people out of power.

Last edited:
I'm holding you to this. :)

Without rehashing my many criticisms, the one undeniable fact whether you're a fan or not, is that 8 has no resonance. No one talks about the film substantively; any dialogue is resigned to argument, which I myself get too involved in, and end up hating myself for it. Not even so much because I hated the film (I did), but more the lack of interest I feel in SW in general, and not really knowing if it's the fault of the film specifically, the fault of the genre interest, the fault of Hollywood in general, or just where I'm at as an "adult". Hate that. :-\

"Box office" is the result of a previous film in a series, as much as anything. It kinda pisses me off that there will be no litmus test to really establish 8's detrimental effect on the saga, since everyone will be clamoring to see the story wrap up, regardless if they liked 8 or not. Can't tell you how crappy it feels, admitting I wouldn't mind a SW movie tanking, just to get some of these people out of power.

Really? No substantive discussions? Do you listen to Star Wars podcasts or follow folks like Bryan Young on social media? My Twitter feed is lousy with very in depth conversations and links to blogs and the podcast community has had some remarkable discussions. Not always positive but always very compelling.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back