Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

Yeah, I haven't brought myself to do the nail thing on my ANH yet either, lol.

how does the nail attach to the lever itself? seeing this reminds me of a lot of the kids toy lightsabers. my lightsaber in my bathroom is like that, looks like they used the nail lever as reference for the toys

LOCTITE SUPERGLUE GEL! It's got to be my favorite adhesive. It's got to be the gel; it gives you several seconds of play before setting up unlike most cyano-acrylate glues.

LOCTITE SUPERGLUE GEL! It's got to be my favorite adhesive. It's got to be the gel; it gives you several seconds of play before setting up unlike most cyano-acrylate glues.

the gel doesnt leave behind the "super glue smoke" either right? i hate when i use super glue and then theres a dusting around the thing i super glued, i guess its from the vapors of the glue

It does a little bit, but you don't have to use much to get it to hold so there wasn't much vapor residue. I was able to remove the little bit that was left with some 0000 steel wool.

It does a little bit, but you don't have to use much to get it to hold so there wasn't much vapor residue. I was able to remove the little bit that was left with some 0000 steel wool.

i had a horrible experience with super glue (liquid) with my larbel graflex buttons... still can see it. I've used the gel glue on some 3d print projects and cant really say I've had a "smoke" problem.

what size nail did you use? 8 penny?

i had a horrible experience with super glue (liquid) with my larbel graflex buttons... still can see it. I've used the gel glue on some 3d print projects and cant really say I've had a "smoke" problem.

what size nail did you use? 8 penny?

I used one of these. I had to cut a bit off the end; it was too long for the lever.
IMAG0912.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0911[1].jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 122
Im assuming the original prop simply had a nail going through it and then the bent the nail on the other side which keeps it in place.
Too much of a risk using force to bend that nail and then i end up damaging the sidebars or clamp.
At least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im assuming the original prop simply had a nail going through it and then the bent the nail on the other side which keeps it in place.
Too much of a risk using force to bend that nail and then i end up damaging the sidebars or clamp.
At least for me.

I bent my nail ahead of time then strung everything together. I was able to get the right look without having to apply force to the edge of the clamp whilst bending the nail. The order of operations was

1. disassemble clamp, including the lever/pin assembly
2. bend nail to desired shape (I held the nail with pliers and forced it against the concrete in my driveway until I achieved the right shape. Took 3 or 4 attempts)
3. put nail through left-most side bar (should be smaller hole with threads)
4. insert nail tip through the clamp openings while holding the side bar against the head of the nail
5. slide right side bar (larger hole) down tip of nail, around the bend, and up against the right side of the clamp
6. glue left side bar to clamp making sure to snug the top/long edge of the bar against the lip of the clamp (the one that holds the bubble card)
7. glue right side bar to clamp, also making sure to hold the top/long edge of the bar against the clamp lip
8. hold loose lever in place on nail to determine how much of the nail tip needs to be removed
9. using dremel, remove tip of nail. In my case it was about 3/4"/19mm
10. glue lever in place on nail
11. orient lever to correct angle, then drop a bead of glue underneath the nail head on the left side to hold the clamp lever in correct position

It's totally possible to do it without jacking up your clamp or sidebars :cool

it is possible for brown stuff to collect on things, thats probably not rust. forgot where I found this pic, but it's boba Fett's rotj rifle, and those t track are definitely plastic.FettTrack2.jpgFettTrack1.jpg

Top one is from the Vader, Tarken, imperial officer meeting room scene.

Bottom one I think is from interrogation scene.

Not being a Vader expert yet, did the ANH have the Exactra clamp card under the bubble strip?
The world may never know... I don't believe that there is any reference material to confirm or deny this.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

From which ANH scenes are these shots? Are both from Leia's interrogation? (excerpted from the saber bible.)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/97266772d95fbca9e53c891f4bb1777b.jpg

Actually, the top one is from the interrogation scene:

DV_hero_ANH2.jpg

Not sure where the second one is spotted-- but Sym-Cha may know.

The world may never know... I don't believe that there is any reference material to confirm or deny this.

True dat! But given the board seen on the back bars, it's possible that it's bubbles went missing, meaning like the ESB hero the bubbles were mounted with the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry ... I don't know which scene that picture of Vader's lightsaber is from ... I do know it's the V2 with the black trapazoid sidebars :)

Chaïm

Thanks. This is helpful. I'm compiling a production timeline review of vader ANH belted MPP usage.

Last edited:
Vader Rogue One-01.jpg

Picture posted by Steffen Brunner‎ on facebooks group : Darth Vader - Movie accurate Costumes ... it seems the new MPP used in Rogue One has black sidebars and longer T-tracks this in contrast to the hero version of A New Hope.

This is the MPP which was purchased by Foodles Co. UK back in 2014 presumably for use in TFA :

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

. . . yet which I asume was prepped as lightsaber prop and used for Rogue One lateron :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
All,

Thanks so much for this thread! I enjoy working with the Heilands and Vader MR's...have not had a MPP in my hands...yet...but rest assured, I will be getting the new replica from Romans and finding a real one soon enough! Haha.

Great stuff, much appreciated gentlemen!

Jon

Are there any photos of the Vader ANH MPP belt lightsaber prop sidebars in the Death Star control room or TIE cockpit sets?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back