Rogue one M1 helmet build

Moreorless37

Well, the title pretty much speaks for itself. The day after this poster came out
rogue one poster.JPG
I just knew I had to have that helmet and got to work. I already had a Vietnam vintage M1 helmet, so that was a plus haha.
So taking LOTS of inspiration from this thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267810 the first think to do was the cloth cover. I started with the ribbed top
R1 helm1.jpg
once I got that to where I liked it I got to work on the sides
R1 helm 2.jpg
the cover sits really nicely with the helmet band on, otherwise it looks too loose.
Finished up the cover
R1 helm 3.jpg
R1 helm 4.jpg
I am quite happy with the cover, came out much better than I was expecting.
after I completed this, it was time to move on to the extra armor. I decided to use Sintra since I have an abundance on hand, however I know that getting the dynamic curves that the armor has with the Sintra will prove difficult. So it started out like this
R1 helm 5.jpg
so a few things wrong with it here. the front is too tall and is not the right shape.
R1 helm 6.jpg
better! I had to cut out a couple slits to get the shape right.
next step, cut out details and... bondo!
R1 helm 7.jpg
R1 helm 8.jpg
and for kicks
R1 helm 9.jpg
:D
so that's where it sits right now.
Ah, but that's not the only progress I made! Looking closer at the poster photo it appears that it has two bands on it holding the box, they also look like rubber. During the Vietnam war the US Marines were not issued the elastic helmet bands (like the one I am using on the cover) that the Army had, they made their own out of tire inner tubes. And those look VERY similar to the poster. I found this site that makes them http://www.mooremilitaria.com/helmets-body-armor/helmet-covers/band-helmet-inner-tube-usmc.html
Let me know what ya'll think! thanks for looking :)

Looking good so far! I really love the ribbed sections. You basically nailed that. Any idea what you'll use for the box on the strap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate! not too sure about the box just yet, I'm going to try to keep my eye out just in case it could be a found part, but if that fails I might just make it out of a block of wood

The side box looks very like a piece of 15 mm mdf with champhered edges ....at least that's what I'm using for now .

The rubber bands on the poster look far thicker and more uniform thickness than the tyre inner tubes ( used on the full metal jacket helmet ) .
If you decide to go that route though , I'd suggest calling in at a truck tyre shop on the way to work one day and snagging a scrap inner tube for free .

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys! however I did order the tire inner tubes, and when I received them they were cut pretty wonky and really wide. however, I cut them to what I thought was the correct width
20161015_164220.jpg

I'm pretty happy with them, the thickness looks right to me and they come pre-weathered, so that's a plus I guess haha.
As you can see I sanded the bondo down, I also primed it to check for blemishes
20161015_213624.jpg
20161015_213639.jpg

it was at this time that this new photo came out
IMG_4131.jpg
And you can clearly see more slots and holes cut into the armor :wacko well, back to cutting.

Now one thing that still has me stumped is the color of the thing. I want to say it is a dark olive drab type color, but at the same time it almost looks like a really dark gray, almost black :confused

finally more progress! I was able to get to painting this thing and after some weathering here is the result
20161027_095627.jpg
20161027_095619.jpg
I am basing the weathering on the poster more so than the released images which is why all the chipping. next is to do the rebel symbol and some more weathering.
and for those curious, the color is a mixture of Tamiya Field Gray (it is really more of a light olive green) and black. obviously I really darkened it up so it is closer to black than green, but I think it came out pretty good.

Dang it, I meant Vinthiz, sorry for being a stalker, I just recognized your kit from mandalorian mercs forums. I'm Ragnar Jast on there :)

Diggning it Moreorless. Great progress and sculpting.I think the bands look pretty dam good. I do think the resistance bands could be the go too.

Beautiful, mate!
I've an extra M1 lying around along with a bunch of sintra.
We need to get a pattern done up for the helmet cover and the extra armor, as I feel this is going to be a very popular prop! :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back