Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

tumblr_inline_ocr6d94Qj51sypkn8_1280.jpgSo look at the Vader in this figure set for Rogue One. I had read from people at makingstarwars.net who claimed to see the costume and that Vader wears his inner cloak over the chestplate armor as in ANH, but here on the figure he's wearing it like he does in the rest of the movies. http://makingstarwars.net/2016/08/y...ogue-one-elite-series-toys/#jp-carousel-32986

Last edited:
Ooops! Seems like an odd oversight but if that figure is anything to judge by, it appears that's the case! A shame.

Maybe his chest armor gets terribly damaged during the events of R1 and he's so embarassed that he covers it up with his inner robes in time for ANH. Yeah, that's it.

The chest box panel seems exactly A New Hope. With the first button on the right at the lower part of it being white. But this is all just going by the figure.

they probably used another figure for reference.

I personally don't care for the Sith robes over the armor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they probably used another figure for reference.

I personally don't care for the Sith robes over the armor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but this being right before A NEW HOPE you'd think they'd want to lead into it with the robes over the armor as they were in that film. even in REBELS set before Rogue One he has the cloak over the armor.

But on a side note, I never have understood why people believe Vader can't change how he wears his armor and cloak. Things about it change in every movie anyway, so he clearly changes it and swaps things out. It all could be changed in a matter of hours.

Yes but this being right before A NEW HOPE you'd think they'd want to lead into it with the robes over the armor as they were in that film. even in REBELS set before Rogue One he has the cloak over the armor.

But on a side note, I never have understood why people believe Vader can't change how he wears his armor and cloak. Things about it change in every movie anyway, so he clearly changes it and swaps things out. It all could be changed in a matter of hours.

OVD - aka Obsessive Vader Dissorder. It's not a fatal illness, but as of July 2016 there aren't any known treatments.

Rogue-One-Toys-10.jpg
One of my main issues with it is I have to read people forever endlessly griping about how wrong it is forever more on these forums. Because it's not possible for Vader to vary how he wears his cloak and swap out the parts, something he could change in minutes or hours. Despite it varying between the other films.

Last edited:
I don't mind that he looks different from film to film but it does seem odd in this case since we're hearing R1 pretty much ends right before ANH starts. With that it mind it seems logical that he would look identical to how he does in ANH.

Eh I blame this on a lack of proper reference. They probably didn't grant a whole lot of access to production images, even if they're making a product for them. It's not unusual either for that kind of restriction. Look at the Halo 3 ad campaign VS the game itself. We've all seen the other characters already EXCEPT Vader.

See this all the time with toys. Point in case, the Snowtrooper. Kotobukyia clearly used the Magic Of Myth/Traveling suit as a source of reference- i.e, the white chest button. This is mimicked elsewhere in various official media.

What I notice with Vader, is that if it's not based off ROTJ or ESB, it's always some really weird, nonsensical mix of version parts.

Last edited:
I'm one of those people who would have preferred a very different suit at the end of rots. Something more rugged. Less designed. Less sleek. An intermediary step

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

A person who runs Yakface whom has seen the R1 costume somehow and has proven to be reliable in the past just assured me when I mentioned & pointed out about the chest armor being uncovered. "Trust me, his R1 Costume looks just like ANH." and they commented about this new figurine not being fully based on any reference image from the R1 film.

Ooops! Seems like an odd oversight but if that figure is anything to judge by, it appears that's the case! A shame.

Maybe his chest armor gets terribly damaged during the events of R1 and he's so embarassed that he covers it up with his inner robes in time for ANH. Yeah, that's it.

Depending on who's making these figures and their history they might be cheating and using an existing mold. I know that some companies are notorious for doing this, the Star Trek miniatures game maker is one of them, I've heard that they've re-used their molds for at least 2 games, possibly 3 and that the ships available in their current game are the same as the ones in their previous game(s).

A person who runs Yakface whom has seen the R1 costume somehow and has proven to be reliable in the past just assured me when I mentioned & pointed out about the chest armor being uncovered. "Trust me, his R1 Costume looks just like ANH." and they commented about this new figurine not being fully based on any reference image from the R1 film.

Yes, there were photos leaked a few people allegedly saw of the costume and it is exactly like ANH. Why on Earth would you guys assume an action figure is a perfect match for the screen used suit, especially for a Vader which it's easier to use previous sculpts and call it close enough?

I agree. A less 'designed' suit, if you know what I mean. I think it would look cool if it had been based off of the Jedi General armor, but still recognizably Vader.

EDIT: I don't know why but it's not letting me quote astroboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there were photos leaked a few people allegedly saw of the costume and it is exactly like ANH. Why on Earth would you guys assume an action figure is a perfect match for the screen used suit, especially for a Vader which it's easier to use previous sculpts and call it close enough?

Well it stands to reason that a toy based on a character in a movie would look like the character in the movie. Considering it's "Rogue One Darth Vader" one would assume it'd, y'know, look like Darth Vader from Rogue One. I don't see why that'd be so hard to believe.

Well it stands to reason that a toy based on a character in a movie would look like the character in the movie. Considering it's "Rogue One Darth Vader" one would assume it'd, y'know, look like Darth Vader from Rogue One. I don't see why that'd be so hard to believe.

It's a toy that looks just like Darth Vader, you are winging about inner tabbards?! ;)

You can't always rely on toys for accuracy.

For example, this Vader is supposed to be ESB but is in the ANH suit, with the different gloves and inner robe over the armour.
darthvader-bespinduel.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back