Graflex grips fitting?

Keith

Sr Member
It's been years since I worked on my light sabres, but I am about to upgrade my Luke ANH and Luke ESB with Wanna Wanga plastic grips. What is the best way to get these fitted in the correct position?
I was thinking about downloading one of those templates and cutting it to half its length so I can follow on from the blank areas of the template with masking tape on the sabre. Does that sound like a good way of doing it or are there better ways?

Thanks,

Keith.

Keith,

I eye-balled my ESB grips...which is probably not the best way to do things if you like symmetry.
I'd say your idea with the template (like from partsofsw.com) and the masking tape is a very good and suitable plan to follow.

Ok thanks, I will try it that way then.

I must say, I'm looking forward to seeing my sabers again, as they have been in storage for three years. I never did like the rubber grips. If I'm happy with the new grips, I will upgrade my Vader ROTJ too.

Keith.

Just be sure to scale those templates to full size when you print them. I blew my first batch of Roy's grips when I did mine because I overlooked this bit.:wacko

The 6-grip sabers....ESB sabers....you probably won't need a template. I started with one, put one opposite. Then I split the remaining area into two and put my next one on...and put one opposite...and so on.

The ANH ones...yes, def use the template, those are hard :D

I fitted a full size template on for the ANH, then slid it down a bit and put tiny sharpie marks on the saber where the grips would go.
Then slipped the template up a bit and put more marks at the bottom. Finally, I pulled the template off and used the marks as a guide for gluing on the grips and removed the sharpie with a dry erase marker and a paper towel. This worked quite well for me.

Good luck with your project.

I fitted a full size template on for the ANH, then slid it down a bit and put tiny sharpie marks on the saber where the grips would go.
Then slipped the template up a bit and put more marks at the bottom. Finally, I pulled the template off and used the marks as a guide for gluing on the grips and removed the sharpie with a dry erase marker and a paper towel. This worked quite well for me.

Good luck with your project.

Ditto... :)

Hi guys - wondering what adhesives you've all used for graflex grips (especially ANH).

Has anyone tried a silicone adhesive like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFyCowTx5Qs

I don't want the grips to EVER come off. Was going to drill holes in the tube, gunk the adhesive onto the grip and place it on - the adhesive should squeeze through the drilled hole and harden to form a kind of "rivet" of sorts. Not used this type of sealer before and wondering if similar products have been tested or if they fail in time etc.

I'd be overkilling it and using the HI-GRAB

edit: Would JB Weld work also? I'm worrying a bit about this because I have little faith in glues ever since I had a disastrous water based contact adhesive fail :lol. I know they're all different glues and the surface matters as much as the substance, I just need to be told it will be ok lol!

Last edited:
i dont want to hijack the thread, but ive noticed with my grips that after filing there is a pretty big color difference between the filed stop (where the screw will go) and the rest of the track. i was wondering if you guys do anything to that like paint. or even hit it with black sharpie? i tried wetting it with water and a cotton swab to get the dust off it after filing and the color seemed to not change..

@ mortifactor Any two part epoxy should suffice, which gives you some more time to adjust then super glue does ... don't overkill and don't worry, be happy :)

@ halliwax Perhaps you could use some Novus 2 to get the black plastic color back .. assuming you're using plastic grips of course :wacko

Chaim

Last edited:
i dont want to hijack the thread, but ive noticed with my grips that after filing there is a pretty big color difference between the filed stop (where the screw will go) and the rest of the track. i was wondering if you guys do anything to that like paint. or even hit it with black sharpie? i tried wetting it with water and a cotton swab to get the dust off it after filing and the color seemed to not change..

I actually use Pledge. the yellow spray can for furniture is actually wax - helps to fill in some of the scratches and leaves the filed areas darker than before

IMG_1366.JPG < after Pledge

Thank you guys for the great advice. Tom once I catch up from this past winters bills I'm grabbing a few shirts from the shop and joining the premium membership. I'm very very close to being back to normal, only 1 more dentist visit left!!

..what?! That's great, what happened to you?! :lol

tom i just came on here to throw up a picture of what my track looks like and your picture is now showing, before it showed a "premium members" badge... figuring you learned that trick after gaining access to the members only section lol those tracks look great heres mine

ttrack1.jpg

and thanks to you i also bought the same miter box you suggested. i was amazed at how easy roys grips were to cut.

tools.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back