Graflex Inc. or Folmer Graflex for Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber?

Great research Scott! Does the Folmer Graflex Inc. have TRS pins or straight pins? I thought I read in another thread that it was "confirmed" that the hero ESB saber had TRS pins.

I'll have to go check now to see which Folmer I have now...

mine both have straight pins... but... the way the prop guys were they could have swapped tops... who knows.

Hi, nice to see this thread active again! :)

I think that all the "original" Folmer Graflex flashes have straight pins. Right?

I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but I think that the "Wampa Cave" version and the Bespin/Dagobah version are two different sabers. Because you can see that the grips are attached a little different on the "Wampa Cave" saber than on the other version. And the biggest proof is that the Kobold Flash D-ring is also attached very differently if you compare the two versions.

So I am still not sure if the Bespin/Dagobah saber is a "Graflex Inc." or a "Folmer Graflex". And yes, the "Wampa Cave" saber is probably a Folmer Graflex, but we will never know if it has straight pins or TRS pins.

I think that the Bespin/Dagobah saber is a "Graflex Inc.", because the pins look a little bit wider on that flash than on Folmer Graflex flashes, which could mean that it has TRS pins (a Graflex Inc. flash). :unsure

// Axel

It's either Folmer Graflex Corp. with New York no patent number :

or Folmer Graflex Corp. with patent number :

or Graflex Inc. and patent number :

not Folmer Graflex Inc.!

So which is it that is seen in the Hoth cave scene, Scottjua?

Chaim

'Apology accepted scottjua!' - ha,ha,ha . . . and indeed as per Edraven99's question ... does it spell NEW YORK in full as well?

To bad I used my Folmer Corp. bottom for my ANH :wacko ... and I can't remember if I ever swapped the tops, since I needed the one with TRS pins for my ESB as per The Magic of Myth book pictures.

Chaim

I tore my computer apart yesterday because I was sure I had a Blu-ray screen cap where you could read the lettering on the bottom, but I couldn't find it.

It looks to be late folmer. Based on the consistency I've seen in early folders... the bottom lip is more flat, where the late folmers have a more pronounced lip like in the Wampa cave scene.

here (view image or open in new tab/window to see full size):

lukewampa.jpg

The worst part is all the bottoms were probably not secured in the exact same orientation every time in the production line.

So there is no guarantee that if your bottom tube is locked in position either way the bottom cap would line up in the screen used way. You might have to remove the cap, turn it, and re-roll the edge.

Last edited:
Does somebody know in which decades they've released the variations below? Or in other words, which one is the oldest type, which one the newest?

It's either Folmer Graflex Corp. with New York no patent number :

[url]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/FolmerGraflexCorpNewYork_zpsc18e8faf.jpg[/URL]

or Folmer Graflex Corp. with patent number :

[url]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/FolmerGraflexCorpPatent_zps70c9ac7a.jpg[/URL]

or Graflex Inc. and patent number :

[url]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/GraflexInc_zps245ef229.jpg[/URL]

not Folmer Graflex Inc.!

So which is it that is seen in the Hoth cave scene, Scottjua?

Chaim

Hey Andreas,

In order from oldest to newest it would be:

- Folmer Graflex Corp. ("New York" spelled out)
- Folmer Graflex Corp. with patent number
- Graflex Inc. with patent number

Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of minor rusting on a graflex without ruining the overall finish? Fortunately it looks like the extent of it is some minor surface rust on the inside of the clamp and the inside of the tube where there's some battery corrosion in my Folmer.

on another note, I just got my 2 cell and this thing is *pristine*! I'll post some pics later tonight...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back