Gathering vintage parts: ANH Obi saber completed

A new interesting project could be a Lightsaber like this:
i6xq.jpg

I'm pretty sure that most of the parts are custom made on this. My goal would be:
-built with authentic found real world parts
-same lineup as the ANH Kenobi
This would say I have to find some parts which can be called "close enough" parts, but related in view and look to the original parts ... any ideas or suggestions?

I actually watched your vid on getting out of toy collecting the other day... good stuff... I too traded off all my star wars 90's toys in for 1 specific buy just a few months ago (though mine was the hot toys 89 Keaton)

Meant to comment/follow... but was logged in on my work account...

Will be checking out more for sure.

Thanks ! It's been a fun and interesting project so far.

I've been most surprised by the lack of enthusiasm from people I thought would be really into a video blog where I talk about Star Wars, props, costumes, nerdy stuff, tv shows and movies, etc...

I reached out to a handful of people on the RPF and through facebook that I knew were really into Star Wars and cosplay and described my youtube and invited them to channel, but they didn't watch any of my videos or subscribe to my channel. Oh well, life goes on.

Last edited:
That's a great all real parts lightsaber you've put together ...

Chaim

P.S. ... to James Kenobi 1138 ... I'll be checking your video-blogs
shortly ... trust me ... I'll check them thouroughly and ... quiz you
about them later ...

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while... I did a rush "hardware store" build when I first started reading up on these hilts, and now that I "get it" a little better, I'd like to try again...

A little less home depot, and a little more engine, flash, and military parts.

A new interesting project could be a Lightsaber like this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/5847/i6xq.jpg
I'm pretty sure that most of the parts are custom made on this. My goal would be:
-built with authentic found real world parts
-same lineup as the ANH Kenobi
This would say I have to find some parts which can be called "close enough" parts, but related in view and look to the original parts ... any ideas or suggestions?

A little less home depot, and a little more engine, flash, and military parts.

Yeah, I think that's why I never really cared for hardware sabers no matter how good they were. They almost always looked too 'hardware store' to me, creative use of parts but I could almost always still identify the parts.

The one posted above, as familiar as the parts feel they absolutely didn't come from Home Depot.

That is a very interesting saber. I've been wanting to try and build my own after I finish up my first two saber builds. Its definitely a bit of a daunting project for me as I have very little "design" and saber building experience.

One part that jumped out to me on that saber is the red "toggle" switch. Looks just like one you might find on a guitar amplifier.

mVKz0d179lvllVeEFUugxSw.jpg

Seems that those custom sabers are still of interest to a lot of people. In my opinion some of those are way better than some of the prequel trilogy. But that's just my opinion.
NeoRutty, I would love to see see your built.:thumbsup
I have to agree with Kenobi about the hardware stores. But it also could have been a region thing. Maybe some of your US hardware parts (which are very common for you guys) will be for me like a top notch part I've never seen before.:)

Andy your welcome and you did it in such a short period of time too ... wow

Hey James will you ever have another look into that other RR jet engine near
you for those of us who were unable to join the group-buy for a real vintage
emitter? Since my money was tied up in attending star wars europe 2 ... and
though I did meet Carrie Fisher in person and told her : 'I love you and your
dog' upon which she replied : 'Why thank you!' which of course was priceless
... still I missed a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase a RR Balance Pipe.

Chaim

If something like that should happen again, It'd be cool to get a heads up... I would possibly be interested pending how much it costs in the end.

Andy your welcome and you did it in such a short period of time too ... wow

Hey James will you ever have another look into that other RR jet engine near
you for those of us who were unable to join the group-buy for a real vintage
emitter? Since my money was tied up in attending star wars europe 2 ... and
though I did meet Carrie Fisher in person and told her : 'I love you and your
dog' upon which she replied : 'Why thank you!' which of course was priceless
... still I missed a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase a RR Balance Pipe.

Chaim

NeoRutty, I would love to see see your built.:thumbsup

In the next few weeks I'll be doing a thread finishing up my Graflex projects (Luke ANH, ESB, and Vader MOM ROTJ) and a pic of it will probably show up there... Again though, it will always have a place in my collection as a "first saber build", but it's laughable in light of what I've learned about the prop world since.

No one is tired of Graflex builds? RIGHT!??!!? yeah I didn't think so.

there are many custom lightsaber builders,including myself.
Costom are far easier than original sabers,because of no needed accuracy.
I make machined customs,to have the design and assembly I want,3 for the moment:
- a archaic protosaber,rusting in the garden,early type of energy blade,with a very big complex crystal chamber and big cyclic field and emitter.
- a wookie saber,with core,wooden hilt,modern type of saber core,as seen in "the clone wars"
-a pesonnal saber,just the hilt for the moment,made from titanium,core will be different technology,no sound for this one

It can be far easier to make custom from existing pieces,no rules,just fun,some stuff lbs and here are some lightsabers in a day...

I created a lightsaber technology evolution,from my ideas and from some official games or shows,from 7000 BBY to actual period,want to make them on sabers,but,so much work to do before,and no car,and,winter periode to com back home,witht the thumb up….

crystal chambers are probably my all time favourite invented and prop related stuff..:love

Also I got a response from Ro about the Yavin4 saber:
Hello Andreas,
nowadays our models are 95% custom made parts, but our older models features a lot of autenthic items. It resembles the philosophy of the original trilogy, how they were creating the sabers. We are still following this used feeling of the sabers, that's why most of our sabers are weathered. In this way when you are grabbing a lightsaber from us, it feels that it just fell out from a Jedi's/Sith's hand.

So nothing really helpful. unfortunately nothing about the parts they've used.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back