Aliens screen used pulserifle shroud question

Dymerski

Sr Member
All knowing RPF fellow pulse rifle fans....question.
I am about to start hammering aluminum around my shroud bucks, its a complex shape. Does anyone know if they hammered it in multi piece then brazed together or
done in one piece?
I have spent weeks searching the web trying to find some information, but with ZERO luck.
any one have pics of screen used shroud or info? I will be sooooooo grateful!
Thanks
Dean

All knowing RPF fellow pulse rifle fans....question.
I am about to start hammering aluminum around my shroud bucks, its a complex shape. Does anyone know if they hammered it in multi piece then brazed together or
done in one piece?
I have spent weeks searching the web trying to find some information, but with ZERO luck.
any one have pics of screen used shroud or info? I will be sooooooo grateful!
Thanks
Dean

I cant wait to see what you come up with, dude. From what I’ve seen each half was one piece, but like you said there’s not a lot of documentation about how the shrouds themselves were made. Just “hammered out of aluminum.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did Terry English make them? Along with the armor, which I know he did pound out by hand? Or did BAPTY make them?

Just throwing out some ideas.

I'm really excited to see what you end up making, Dymerski.

Cheers,

Ted.

Terry didn't make them, a coach builder did. Yeh, i'm looking forward to how it comes out also LOL. I have many of the tools need and have been practicing....but boy am i nervous!

as far as I can remember each side had 2 parts then soldered together, as the aluminum got way to thin in spots for such a large piece. I thought terry English made the first set then passed them off to the coach builder for duplication?

Well sort of. it’s a high impact glass fiber re-enforce resin. It is in 2 halfs and reduced to allow for the aluminum thickness. I’m using 3003 H14 0.04 mm. aluminum.

Well sort of. it’s a high impact glass fiber re-enforce resin. It is in 2 halfs and reduced to allow for the aluminum thickness. I’m using 3003 H14 0.04 mm. aluminum.
0.04mm? That thinner than foil! 0.04 inch or 1.0mm sounds more like that you would use.

I am in the process of making aluminium bucks for vacuum forming now and I am using 3mm plate. I do cut the parts in sections so that there is a seam at the join that will act as an air gap during the pull. This means I don't have to drill vent holes as a slot vents way more air than a hole can anyway and you don't end up with pimples on the parts.

I am also looking at tooling epoxy (it can handle way more heat than normal epoxy) and an aluminium powder. Apparently, you can use any silicone mold, make up a paste mix of epoxy/alloy powder and paint that in. Once in a gel state, you can back fill with more epoxy and less alloy powder to make a solid buck. Essentially it is like cold casting aluminum to make any shape required.

Aluminium acts as a heat sink and helps with forming the hot plastic and cooling of the plastic. Obviously, this is pretty costly, and not used for short runs, but when you have to make 50+ parts (like I guess you would do), means you won't crack a buck (ie the thumb print in Stormtrooper armour) during a run.

These look good. I'm guessing they were they CNCd'?

I guess the good thing about a PR is that the ALIEN fan base is HUGE and you will always have demand for these, especially if they ever make another big screen appearance (come on Ridley, swallow your pride and make it happen).

Looking at your images, this is where a silicone mold, tooling resin mixed with aluminum powder, would be totally worth it. The rounded parts on the barrel end might be a challenge to get the 1.0mm skin skin to fold down over without a crease and the last thing you want is a hammer or mallet mark because that will show up on every pull.

How thick is the plastic that pull over these?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back