Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

It wasn't intended to replicate the Hero lightsaber. The Hero lightsaber was built AFTER, in order to show a close up of it.

The V2 was the same prop Alec used in ANH as a stunt saber. It was originally painted black (and maybe copper/bronze on the neck).
During ROTJ, they gave it to Mark to use after realizing that he wasn't supposed to still have the Graflex after losing it in ESB. so they most likely just grabbed what they could find because A. Luke would have made a new one and B. He would have built it similarly to his master (obi-wan). So that's the one he uses in 90% of the film. Then for that ONE shot where vader holds it, they made a hero based off of the v2.

I meant to say obi wan "hero" saber. Context is everything :lol

Just a note— there’s been a lot of people suggesting over the last couple years the sandstorm scene wore off the paint. That scene was shot on a sounstage, it was not a real sandstorm. In a closed envirnoment, with principle talent, camera lenses, and lights there is zero percent change real sand was used. Whatever WAS used would be intentionally soft and unabrasive. I don’t think it would be a factor in wearing down tghe booster.

I think it was just as simple as what happenes when you handle and throw around 5-6 year old rattle can paint on bare metal.

Just a note— there’s been a lot of people suggesting over the last couple years the sandstorm scene wore off the paint. That scene was shot on a sounstage, it was not a real sandstorm. In a closed envirnoment, with principle talent, camera lenses, and lights there is zero percent change real sand was used. Whatever WAS used would be intentionally soft and unabrasive. I don’t think it would be a factor in wearing down tghe booster.

I think it was just as simple as what happenes when you handle and throw around 5-6 year old rattle can paint on bare metal.

I was just pointing out that the sandstorm scene was one of the first scenes filmed. And there's a lot of black paint on it. While sailbarge stuff was towards the end of filming, and there's is a noticeable reduction in the paint.

Oh, no argument there. But people have attributed it to the sandstorm and I don’t buy that... also, funny enough, the V2 is only in one shot for the sail barge sequence.

Oh, no argument there. But people have attributed it to the sandstorm and I don’t buy that... also, funny enough, the V2 is only in one shot for the sail barge sequence.

The “sand” was apparently: “...a mixture mostly of vermiculite, an industrial-use polyester-type grain, with a very light talcum powder,” blown around by large, industrial fans.

I have absolutely no idea how that impacts the sand-wore-off-the-paint theory. Though my gut agrees with Seth that that was not the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id say its more likely that in the sandstorm scene the saber hadn't been handled for several years, and then suddenly its being handled and banged around and moved more than it has for 3 years, so the paint started chipping at a faster rate until we end up with what we see in the other scenes.

Endor is post-sandstorm, pre-barge.

Are you certain? My understanding of the chronology , purely as it pertains to the V2 showing up, is as such:

1) sandstorm
2) Ewok village scenes
2) Death Star
3) Sail barge/Yuma
4) Endor

Id say its more likely that in the sandstorm scene the saber hadn't been handled for several years, and then suddenly its being handled and banged around and moved more than it has for 3 years, so the paint started chipping at a faster rate until we end up with what we see in the other scenes.

There are pictures of either the V2 or V3 or possibly both saber being used for practice. One of them is also used as a tool on Hoth. Most likely the V2 picked up a lot of its damage between ANH and ROTJ

Well, I was referring to studio Endor: Ewok village, AT-AT catwalk, bunker interior.
Correct, the exterior Endor stuff in the N. California redwoods was last.

Are you certain? My understanding of the chronology , purely as it pertains to the V2 showing up, is as such:

1) sandstorm
2) Ewok village scenes
2) Death Star
3) Sail barge/Yuma
4) Endor

1) sandstorm
2) Ewok village scenes
2) Death Star
3) Sail barge/Yuma
4) Endor

This is for sure the correct timing? Always wondered the order

Umm... A question: If the sandstorm was enough wear paint off a prop, what would it have done to the actors in the scene? Think about it:facepalm

Umm... A question: If the sandstorm was enough wear paint off a prop, what would it have done to the actors in the scene? Think about it:facepalm

Well, it’s unclear if that’s what wore the paint off. I don’t think that was the primary reason, personally.

Second, it did mess a lot of things up. Apparently, they spent a lot of time between ESB and ROTJ fixing and giving some of the R2 units new motors and this first scene basically screwed many of them up again.

It was also apparently really hard to breathe and Marquand even joked that he hoped the stuff wasn’t carcinogenic, cause they all breathed quite a bit of it in.

Maybe the V2 shot was done on a sound stage against a blue screen and not at Yuma, like the skiff hovering over Tatooine scene? One thing to note in the shot before that Harrison Ford is standing right next to Chewie's shoulder, and in the V2 shot he's not there.

Just wanted to point out an observation I made today about the position of the chip in the emitter rod. It seems whenever Brandon disassembled it, it wasnt put back in the same position, or it has since shifted. You can see here where it was positioned when it was on the Emperor's chair. You can compare the paint chips to see that the emitter is in the same turned position in both photos, but the rod chip has turned.

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 1.04.39 PM.png

My guess would be the set screw dimple is a ring around the end of the rod, allowing it to tighten in any position.

We’ll yeah that’s assumed, I’m mostly pointing out that it’s either loose or was undone and then put back in a different position since then.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back