Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand.

TazVader

Sr Member
G'day folks,

I'm trying to replicate the explosives used in the film for a display...This picture seems to show something written on the side. Anyone able to help with this as I've come up blank
blank.

22405755_10155647157228796_4650841246046067093_n.jpg

Regards
T
A
Z

This was the best shot I could find in the movie while skipping through it. The flamethrowers in the movie are real 'M2' flamethrowers which were initially developed during WWII, the specific kind used in the movie are Vietnam-era M2A1-7 flamethrowers. If you look at WWII-era dynamite, (the kind used by combat engineers) there are similarities in the markings.

Obviously the dynamite is a prop, so maybe they looked at photos or had access to surplus inert "training" dynamite from the same era as the flamthrowers and made up paper labels to wrap around a tube.

dynamite.png

Last edited:
Thanks legend. You have cemented the UN for me. I have now identified the logo and brand of Dynamite. i just need to figure out the remainder of the text under the UN.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
T
A
Z

Found your logo: https://www.trademarkia.com/logo-72158447.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_Inc.

After some fruitless Googling, I've learned an appropriate Nobel trade name is "UNIGEL" (1979):

https://www.dynonobel.com/practical-innovations/popular-products/dynamite

Searches for "Unigel" and 'explosive' (or whatever) can show you modern examples.

It's possible someone just cut and pasted some stock prop labels to make the ones seen on screen. Or, Hercules was making Unigel in / for the US under license.

-MJ

Attachments

• logo-72158447.jpg
    logo-72158447.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 192
I know it's a movie, but it is doubtful that they would use World War 2 era dynamite. The stuff crystallizes when it ages and becomes unstable. Sunlight could set it off. Was it image.jpeg this stuff?

Manufacturers change labelling all the time. Logos and lettering change in size and sometimes colour. The additional lettering would be lot numbers, safety information and brisance (shattering power).

TazMan2000

Thanks guys. You've done some great research and it was a fun hunt. It's actually Hercules Inc. Just trying to get the right text in the other areas.:)

Regards
blood test hercules.jpg
IMG_0934 (1).JPG

I plan to make some replicas of the sticks and Macready's bundle if there's enough interest as it's going to be used in a spiderhead display of my own.

Regards
T
A
Z

Who wants to mock up a wrap with me? I'm not really mr digital. Lol. I'll make you a free stick or two;)
Still working on design.

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd totally be into that!

On further reflection, yes, I'd be happy to help with vintage label design. But no, please don't send me fake dynamite in the mail! :facepalm

I don't need any dynamite props at present, but I can't rule out building some someday. (I've already made several short films featuring bombs of various types!) So I'm interested in the dimensions and logos and stuff that you're uncovering. (Weight, maybe?) I hope you'll share the results of your research.

Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand.

Awesome guys!!! Mmm....well perhaps just aged stick wraps with the correct details would be a better option for post lol

I've got a Norris spider head on the way to my house so I figured a cool base would be a half open crate of dynamite with a few sticks...sticking out lol

So brown paper ie grocery bag or similar should work for our wraps...just need to work out length and diameter of the tubes then the printing can be positioned correctly I guess lol I'll have a hunt around after work on fri Dan unless someone here is familiar with said material...

Now we have the Hercules and the symbol down... anyone have any better screen caps to confirm the smaller text?

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I'm about to go on holiday so will start it moving when possible. Got some talent involved;)

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

man..... that sounds like my boss. "ive got something exciting to show you..... but im heading off for a 2 week hunting trip... " :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back