Game of Thrones

Besides the prophecy from the House of the Undying, there was also the warning from Quaithe :

The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal

The lion defintely refers to the Lannister sigil. This is all book stuff, though. I'm not sure it all (or any) plays a part in how the show is going.

Meh not really. Didn't know the hound refers to himself as a what. Ether way it's death as always. I want the hound to do it. Been pulling for this since round 2. Gotta sell those pay per views, stadium tickets, get Vegas bets going. The hound just talking smack right now. Next time the mountain will blink some eyes in Morse code to rip on the hound. Relax and have some fun.

Except he doesn't say "what". He says "who". "You know who's coming for you. You've always known."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiICUk2_yn8

As KhalDrogo said, seems pretty clear that was a setup for Clegane Bowl, and with all of the fan service this past season it seems inevitable that we'll see that in S8.

The Stark ambush of Lord Baelish at Winterfell...was...extremely difficult, and painful for me to witness. The moment Sansa turned her head towards Lord Baelish, and uttered his name, I knew he had reached the end of his line, and that clever words--the currency with which he'd relied upon time and time again to save his neck and advance his position--would finally fail him, in these last desperate moments of his life. I felt trapped, there, in that room with him, the walls closing in on us, with no where to run. It was a sickening feeling. So sickening, that a small part of me felt relief, that the game was over, when the dagger slashed our throat.

The Wook

Last edited:
The Stark ambush of Lord Baelish at Winterfell...was...extremely difficult, and painful for me to witness. The moment Sansa turned her head towards Lord Baelish, and uttered his name, I knew he had reached the end of his line, and that clever words--the currency with which he'd relied upon time and time again to save his neck and advance his position--would finally fail him, in the last minute of his life. I felt trapped, there, in that room with him, the walls closing in on us, with no where to run. It was a sickening feeling. So sickening, that a small part of me felt relief, that the game was over, when the dagger slashed our throat.

The Wook

Winter came for Lord Baelish. The North remembers.

It was very satisfying to watch Littlefinger get what was coming to him. Even more satisfying was seeing that smug exterior crack and fall apart, leaving behind the simpering coward begging for his life.

Even his death was perfect. Nothing drawn out or complex in nature, as that would be honoring the games he so loved to play. No, just a quick and dirty slash to the throat, befitting of a man whose schemes were like assassins in the night.

The Stark ambush of Lord Baelish at Winterfell...was...extremely difficult, and painful for me to witness. The moment Sansa turned her head towards Lord Baelish, and uttered his name, I knew he had reached the end of his line, and that clever words--the currency with which he'd relied upon time and time again to save his neck and advance his position--would finally fail him, in the last minute of his life. I felt trapped, there, in that room with him, the walls closing in on us, with no where to run. It was a sickening feeling. So sickening, that a small part of me felt relief, that the game was over, when the dagger slashed our throat.

The Wook

I guess his Westeros IQ wasn't as high as he hoped.

I was cheering like I was watching every touchdown ever scored. If I'd had a ball I'd have spiked it. It was a really happy moment for me. :)

Besides the prophecy from the House of the Undying, there was also the warning from Quaithe :

The lion defintely refers to the Lannister sigil. This is all book stuff, though. I'm not sure it all (or any) plays a part in how the show is going.

The Griffon is likely Jon Connington in the books, and the Mummer's Dragon is likely "Aegon VI," who is either just some random dude with Valyrian ancestry, or a Blackfyre (which is what I suspect, since he has the Golden Company backing him). Dark Flame probably refers to Moqorro, the Red Priest accompanying Euron and Victarion. The Lion is likely the Lannisters, but that could mean Cersei pledging to help and then betraying her.

The betrayal for money is likely Jorah. The betrayal for blood is likely the witch. The betrayal for love...good question.

Yeah the Sun's son and Mummer's dragon are most likely Quentyn Martell and Mummer's dragon is most likely Young Griff, both of whom have been cut out of the show.

Right. None of that's relevant in the show. The Dornish subplot in the books seems like a distraction, but at least the characters have more to do with each other. In the show, the whole Dornish thing was a massive waste of time. Like, why even cast a guy like Alexander Siddiq, if he's just going to have two or three mopey scenes and then get his throat cut? I don't get it.

I'll allow it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Agreed.

I saw an article today about the "dark political implications" of Jon's true parentage and his and Dany's coupling. Like, beyond the squick factor (which I don't really feel, given that that's just how Targaeryan's roll in this world), there's this big political issue of how Dany believes herself the ONLY remaining Targaeryan, and now here's Jon with a superior claim.

Of course, the simple solution -- which will UNDOUBTEDLY BE DELAYED by the showrunners just to draw out tension -- is for them to marry, but then the article went into this discussion of "But how does that break the wheel?"

I think this notion of "break the wheel" is a staggering misunderstanding. "Breaking the wheel" means ending the cycle of powerful noble houses vying for superiority over one another, and crushing everyone beneath them as one rises while another falls. It means imposing stability and justice into the realm.

What it DOESN'T mean is ending the monarchy altogether, ending the feudal system, and coming up with some elective system that would be totally alien to Westeros. That is a spectacularly BAD reading of "break the wheel," and you can already see that that's NOT what will happen based on Dany's time ruling in Mereen. In Mereen, Dany tried to impose her values on a society that was completely unequipped to accept them. It was a disaster. As would be the case in Westeros if she tried to suddenly flip everything to a republic or some form of representative government.

What I think is far more likely is that Dany will attempt to rule as a much more powerful monarch, capable of putting the ruling houses in check...thanks to her dragons. That was Aegon V's goal -- to gut the power of the major nobles thanks to the strength of his dragons. I also seem to recall some plan involving interconnected marriages between the great houses, all designed to end the cycle of violence between them, and this having something to do with why Ned Stark was fostered by Jon Arryn when he was younger or something. I can't remember whose plan this was, but I seem to recall that Rhaegar's running off with Lyanna Stark basically blew the whole thing up.

I was cheering like I was watching every touchdown ever scored. If I'd had a ball I'd have spiked it. It was a really happy moment for me. :)

For me as well, but mostly because I was just tired of the machinations.

My issue with Littlefinger was that I liked him when he was successful, but I've never been able to follow his plan with respect to the Vale in the books, or the Boltons in the show. Marrying Lysa Arryn got him nothing. He's lord protector of the Vale, and is supposed to control Robin, but so what? He kills Robin and then takes the rulership for himself? Of course not. There's some Arryn heir who would take it, or the Royces would or something. So that never made much sense. Marrying Sansa off to the Boltons made no sense to me, either, in that it again got him nothing. Powerful allies, but not himself on the throne. I never understood why he didn't just marry Sansa himself, and then, through her, claim the North, and use the Vale knights to take it by force if necessary. I dunno. The whole thing just struck me as too convoluted and dumb, so I was glad to see him go.

He was a fascinating and entertaining character in the first three or four seasons, but after that, he just seemed to be conniving for the sake of being conniving.

I also seem to recall some plan involving interconnected marriages between the great houses, all designed to end the cycle of violence between them, and this having something to do with why Ned Stark was fostered by Jon Arryn when he was younger or something. I can't remember whose plan this was, but I seem to recall that Rhaegar's running off with Lyanna Stark basically blew the whole thing up.

That's the Southron Ambitions essay found over at the Tower of the Hand website - http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/01/05-southron-ambitions/

Its an excellent essay on how Rhaegar was already plotting to overthrow his father and change how things were done in Westeros before the breakout of Robert's Rebellion. His meeting Lyanna and those two running off together then ruined everything. It also details how the lords of the major houses of Westeros were also planning their own scheme by connecting all their houses through marriage and other alliances in order to have a more united front to go up against the Mad King. They would've all met up to plot this out at the Tourney at Harrenhall, but again, Lyanna and Rhaegar met, fell in love, and then Robert's Rebellion happened.

That's the Southron Ambitions essay found over at the Tower of the Hand website - http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/01/05-southron-ambitions/

Its an excellent essay on how Rhaegar was already plotting to overthrow his father and change how things were done in Westeros before the breakout of Robert's Rebellion. His meeting Lyanna and those two running off together then ruined everything. It also details how the lords of the major houses of Westeros were also planning their own scheme by connecting all their houses through marriage and other alliances in order to have a more united front to go up against the Mad King. They would've all met up to plot this out at the Tourney at Harrenhall, but again, Lyanna and Rhaegar met, fell in love, and then Robert's Rebellion happened.

Yes! That's the one!

So, again, another way to "break the wheel."

So, just throwing this out there for speculation about season 8...

Regarding that shot of Tyrion looking very concerned about Daenerys and Jon\Aegon hooking up. Some people are saying its because he had feelings for Daenerys and now his little dwarf heart is broken. I know Cersei made that comment about her being the type he'd fall in love with and even though he obviously feels a sense of devotion to her, I never got the impression his feelings were on the romantic side. I think he's thinking of their getting together more of a complication in the overall plan to get Daenerys on the Iron Throne. With Jon by her side and since he is fairly rational and reasonable, you'd think this wouldn't be cause for concern. So, I'm still wondering what he could be so worried about.

My other thing about that look, is perhaps Tyrion will see Jon as somehow coming between him and Daenerys. Maybe, with Cersei pregnant with another baby, this will stir feelings in Tyrion about being loyal to his Lannister blood and it will cause him to betray Jon and Daenerys at some crucial moment. if he were to do this, I'd doubt he'd survive, but I'd hate to see one of my favorite characters go out like that. Also, what would his betrayal cost Daenerys and Jon?

Thoughts?

For me as well, but mostly because I was just tired of the machinations.

My issue with Littlefinger was that I liked him when he was successful, but I've never been able to follow his plan with respect to the Vale in the books, or the Boltons in the show. Marrying Lysa Arryn got him nothing. He's lord protector of the Vale, and is supposed to control Robin, but so what? He kills Robin and then takes the rulership for himself? Of course not. There's some Arryn heir who would take it, or the Royces would or something. So that never made much sense. Marrying Sansa off to the Boltons made no sense to me, either, in that it again got him nothing. Powerful allies, but not himself on the throne. I never understood why he didn't just marry Sansa himself, and then, through her, claim the North, and use the Vale knights to take it by force if necessary. I dunno. The whole thing just struck me as too convoluted and dumb, so I was glad to see him go.

He was a fascinating and entertaining character in the first three or four seasons, but after that, he just seemed to be conniving for the sake of being conniving.

Agreed. Plus, this whole Sansa/Arya/Bran(?) setup was silly and poorly executed. It seemed like the showrunners were so eager to hide the plot that the narrative they laid out was all contradiction, convolution and plot holes - and honestly, they telegraphed it anyway. Did anyone watching not expect Sansa to turn to Littlefinger at the decisive moment? Also, what happened to the streamlined, cutthroat nature of power and betrayal in GOT? With all the important life & death stuff going on, does Sansa really have time for playing these kinds of court games surrounding one traitor? I don't even know who knew what, or when, but it doesn't feel like this twist satisfactorily addresses how stupid the two sisters came off in the buildup to the "twist" - it just seems like Bran told them what's up right before that scene. Nothing to do with Arya's training or Sansa maturing or even Littlefinger finally making a fatal mistake, just a kid who can see the past in a convenient way. The character arcs which could have been actually satisfying were left to rot...

So, just throwing this out there for speculation about season 8...

Regarding that shot of Tyrion looking very concerned about Daenerys and Jon\Aegon hooking up. Some people are saying its because he had feelings for Daenerys and now his little dwarf heart is broken. I know Cersei made that comment about her being the type he'd fall in love with and even though he obviously feels a sense of devotion to her, I never got the impression his feelings were on the romantic side. I think he's thinking of their getting together more of a complication in the overall plan to get Daenerys on the Iron Throne. With Jon by her side and since he is fairly rational and reasonable, you'd think this wouldn't be cause for concern. So, I'm still wondering what he could be so worried about.

My other thing about that look, is perhaps Tyrion will see Jon as somehow coming between him and Daenerys. Maybe, with Cersei pregnant with another baby, this will stir feelings in Tyrion about being loyal to his Lannister blood and it will cause him to betray Jon and Daenerys at some crucial moment. if he were to do this, I'd doubt he'd survive, but I'd hate to see one of my favorite characters go out like that. Also, what would his betrayal cost Daenerys and Jon?

Thoughts?

Tyrion: "I drink and I know things."

Tyrion is a VERY smart man. He's had to be smart in order to survive The Game with such obvious disadvantages. He's considered to be ugly, and his stature means that he would never be a soldier, so he had to hone his mind.

My thought is that Tyrion knows the stories about the Tower of Joy, and he knows about Ned bringing home a ******* son despite being completely in love with his wife and being as honorable as he was. It's not hard for a man of Tyrion's intellectual capabilities to put two and two together and at least suspect Jon's true parentage. He definitely has no clue as to Jon's legitimacy as a Targaryen, as the only two people who know are in Winterfell, and Howland Reed would only know that the child was Lyanna and Rhaegar's, not that the two of them were married, making Jon the legitimate heir.

So Tyrion's probably worried that Dany is going to get involved with Jon and sabotage her own chances of getting an allegiance wedding with a nobleman who might have claim to the Iron Throne, or at least to a nobleman who could make a serious push for it. This is the exact reason why he pushed her to leave Daario behind, and she's just following the same pattern as before.

JfcIAPL.png

Durex, yes.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back