The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

I think that might be the case that they had multiple suppliers of similar zippers and "vintage" could be either one. I'll do some more research and see what I can find. On a side note I was able to get a size large Lebowski sweater on the Ebay for not too bad a price.... I'll give the "medium" to my 20 year old son who's a film buff as it will fit him perfectly at 135 lbs. I'm 165 lbs and 5'9" and the medium just fits me but I could use an inch more in the shoulders and under arms.... How about that, father-son Lebowski sweaters...? I wonder if anybody will notice if we wear them out together....? Regards

Welp, back with some updates.

I got those shorts I ordered and proceeded to take a seam ripper to the pockets, and I must say, they ended up very dudeish.
182772_10150093735790892_657795891_6492292_3825320_n.jpg

I also spent a couple of hours scouring ebay, looking under "weight lifter pants" "parachute pants" and finally "pajama pants" and I stumbled upon a a pair that are about as close as I'm gonna come to the pants that the dude wears in the Jackie Treehorn scenes and others. These are the comfiest pajama pants I have ever owned, I can see why The Dude wore them. Now to hit them with just a dash of purple RIT.
182724_10150093736075892_657795891_6492296_621035_n.jpg

Yarnageddon! I went and scoured Jo-Ann Fabrics, A. C. Moore and Michaels to find the right colors and quantities of yarn that I needed for the sweater, I also picked up the circular knitting needles that are required. And when I casually asked my dear old grandmother if she'd knit me a sweater I'd found a pattern for, she was delighted at the prospect! Yep, everything is coming up daisies right now.
180170_10150093736365892_657795891_6492303_2342638_n.jpg

I am absolutely loving the wealth of information that is pouring into this thread, thanks guys! I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's Dude costumes!

And cmaher55, I was considering picking up that buy it now sweater, but now I'm glad I didn't, seeing as I require at the least a large, and the medium would've been too small for me.

Last edited:

CrowTeeRobot, great job on what you've put together so far. Good luck on knitting the Pendleton, I'm sure we all anxiously await progrees pics.

Can you share a link for purchasing the plaid Wrangler shorts you found? They look very close, and I'd like to get a pair for the Lebowski Fest here in Tampa near the end of the month.

Thanks!

Art
'Jon8712'

CrowTeeRobot, great job on what you've put together so far. Good luck on knitting the Pendleton, I'm sure we all anxiously await progrees pics.

Can you share a link for purchasing the plaid Wrangler shorts you found? They look very close, and I'd like to get a pair for the Lebowski Fest here in Tampa near the end of the month.

Thanks!

Art
'Jon8712'

Actually, I found them on ebay by doing a search for "plaid shorts."
You can actually look for specifics regarding your waist size and general sizes like L XL, etc. That's how I managed to track down a pair for myself, sorry I can't be of more help.

And by the way, the brand of the pajama pants was Nautica, in case anyone was wondering.

I'm gonna take drive up to my Grandmother's house in the next week to drop off all the knitting supplies for her, so I'll keep you posted on where the sweater is at.

I'm thinking about going out to the Columbus Lebowski Fest, seeing as my sister lives out there, and hopefully have at least one of the outfits done by then.

Thanks, Luke. I'll try eBay, as I'd like to find the specific plaid-patterned Wrangler shorts like you purchased. (I tried Google/Froogle searches and Wrangler.com with no luck, so I though you might have purchased them from a specific online retailer.) I might look into the Nautica 'training' pants, too, while I'm at it.

Maybe we'll post some photos after the Tampa fest (my special lady friend will be dressed as 'robe' maude and 'Valkyrie' Maude). I was told recently that there are photos online of me as the Dude and a friend as Walter from DragonCon '10, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Thanks again!

Art
'Jon8712'

This you guys? If so, extremely well done.
3901179772_45954a21ac.jpg

I ordered a pair of those Otomix shoes in white (13 was one of last sizes in stock. Whew!) Thanks for the heads up, Larry.

I think I might have to put a hold on my Lebowski related purchases for the moment so my bank account can recover.:unsure

This you guys? If so, extremely well done.

No, I wish! Those guys looked like they walked out of the movie into real life. They also were in the Saturday morning parade. I did a quick google search for pics of my friend and me, and here we are:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4974226188_9227f1cb96.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/4966232177_f7743aea36.jpg

Not the greatest (I hate the wig I had!!), but a valiant effort nonetheless.:) Looking forward to 'Dude-ing'-up next weekend.

Art
'Jon8712'

Walter looks dead on, man. And the Dude doesn't look very bad at all, the only thing that really threw me was the beard on the chin, maybe use some crepe hair and liquid latex next time, I did a little test run with a fake Brian Blessed beard made out of crepe hair and liquid latex, and it came out great.

I ordered a pair of those Otomix shoes in white (13 was one of last sizes in stock. Whew!) Thanks for the heads up, Larry.

No worries! Good thing my fake Team Zissou Sambas have finally splayed out, or the missus would have killed me, getting another pair of movie sneaks. :lol

Ha! Four hours later, and UPS drops them off:

182868_10150110788813087_657498086_6362855_5958009_n.jpg

These things are very comfortable, but I might lose the laces.

^I would have to agree. Something about those laces just seems..."un" dude like.

They're there, in the first post:

weightlifting-pants.jpg

...but they're sort of sloppy. I dunno; I'll wear 'em around for a while and see. The odd thing is they're not laces, per se; they are two individual pieces of shoelace glued in on each side. They're mostly decorative, as far as I can tell.

Walter looks dead on, man. And the Dude doesn't look very bad at all, the only thing that really threw me was the beard on the chin, maybe use some crepe hair and liquid latex next time, I did a little test run with a fake Brian Blessed beard made out of crepe hair and liquid latex, and it came out great.

Thanks, my friend who was Walter would appreciate that. I originally had a matching goatee and moustache that were good quality, but I lost the moustache and had to quickly get one to take to DragonCon. Unfortunately, the color didn't match the goatee.

Thanks for the tips on how you did your beard. For the LF next weekend, I've just grown my own beard, and although it won't be as long as the Dude's, I won't have to worry about it coming off while I'm drinking an oat soda or White Russian. We're also gonna trim the wig up a bit. Funny thing is, my hair used to be that long up until a couple years ago.

Just wanted to say thanks again for this thread, Luke, it's got some great info in it. Because of this inspiration provided by fellow Acheivers, I was able to add the robe, Okabashi sandals, and Otomix shoes (I was lucky enough to get size 10 from Otomix directly) to my Dude ensemble.

Art
'Jon8712'

No problem Art, after all my research, I realized it would have been selfish to keep the information to myself, and it's a good thing I did, or else we would've missed out on the Otomix shoes. Speaking of which...
184381_10150097800555892_657795891_6541294_3681977_n.jpg

Free rug, man! My parents gave this one to me, and I must say it really ties the room together, even if it isn't the right color.
184039_10150097797200892_657795891_6541288_5235824_n.jpg

Not much on the Lebowski costume front, waiting for my new credit card to get here in the mail. But last night was my 21st Birthday, and I celebrated appropriately.
182701_10150098927365892_657795891_6556609_5548565_n.jpg

Quite delicious.

you can buy the bowling shirt on thinkgeek.com or you used to idk if its sold out

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back