Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

I have to apologize, i just havent had a free time to myself until tonight. I have been working day and night, balancing 2 job sites right now. one of the 2 is helping my brother move his barber shop, we have been non stop... today was my first afternoon/night off in a LONG time. so i decided to finally do the physical damage to trents V2. i recorded it to help show people what i do to make the eclipse on the emitter.

again. i have so much i want to update in this tutorial, i got a list of trent tips i need to add. and a few new pictures. i have yet to decide on a wind vane color. i spent my day experimenting with paint, and it was a disaster... thank god i made sample pieces to practice on because the paints ate each other... back to the drawing board...

anyway.. here the video of the physical damage, i will also link this in the video section. this weekend i am hoping i dont have to work sunday, then i will update with more "trent tips" and new pictures

thank you all for your support, i really appreciate it! i got 1 more week of this working day and night and then im finally free... and you all will hear me complaining how im laid off! :wacko

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to apologize, i just havent had a free time to myself until tonight. I have been working day and night, balancing 2 job sites right now. one of the 2 is helping my brother move his barber shop, we have been non stop... today was my first afternoon/night off in a LONG time. so i decided to finally do the physical damage to trents V2. i recorded it to help show people what i do to make the eclipse on the emitter.

again. i have so much i want to update in this tutorial, i got a list of trent tips i need to add. and a few new pictures. i have yet to decide on a wind vane color. i spent my day experimenting with paint, and it was a disaster... thank god i made sample pieces to practice on because the paints ate each other... back to the drawing board...

anyway.. here the video of the physical damage, i will also link this in the video section. this weekend i am hoping i dont have to work sunday, then i will update with more "trent tips" and new pictures

thank you all for your support, i really appreciate it! i got 1 more week of this working day and night and then im finally free... and you all will hear me complaining how im laid off! :wacko

https://youtu.be/CmUJSt89_JY

Nice video Danny ! :)

Nice video Danny ! :)

Was it you who told me about the Dremel stone bits to notched the nipple bung?

I’m sorry I just have been so busy I haven’t had time to hang out on here, and I can’t remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it you who told me about the Dremel stone bits to notched the nipple bung?

I’m sorry I just have been so busy I haven’t had time to hang out on here, and I can’t remember

Yes was me ;=)

Works pretty well.

Great work Halliwax. I've actually been using the process for awhile, it's good to see others doing the same. A14 really is the best way to get a natural darkening of the alum. Now that this AS run launched I've been taking some ques from you with the pommel damage, which is something I've overlooked in the past. I'm slow rolling on mine also.
Prepping mine and the handful I have to do for others.
As you mentioned in your most recent video, the nipple bung, runs risk of shattering of you try to chip it.
I machined some small alum ones for it this morning, much easier to work with.

But again great work, and thanks to Trent, AS, and you for all this work.
bdfee047c5c33d091ea20b7cf9110dc4.jpg
fc2dce7d6909478c27df96e0c59ac5f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Great work Halliwax. I've actually been using the process for awhile, it's good to see others doing the same. A14 really is the best way to get a natural darkening of the alum. Now that this AS run launched I've been taking some ques from you with the pommel damage, which is something I've overlooked in the past. I'm slow rolling on mine also.
Prepping mine and the handful I have to do for others.
As you mentioned in your most recent video, the nipple bung, runs risk of shattering of you try to chip it.
I machined some small alum ones for it this morning, much easier to work with.

But again great work, and thanks to Trent, AS, and you for all this work.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180529/bdfee047c5c33d091ea20b7cf9110dc4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180529/fc2dce7d6909478c27df96e0c59ac5f3.jpg

Great Jordan! Glad it helped you, the pommel looks great!

Sculpt nouveau has a new chemical out, once I get some extra money I want to try that one on something

A14 works great but is expensive!

Yup! I am afraid of hardened steel.. a hammer is really strong and can punch nails into all kinds of woods. Hit to hammers tip to tip together and they can dangerously shatter in a grenade like way...

And I don’t know about everyone else but I don’t want to lose an eye

Safety glasses are a must, I honestly thought I was wearing them when denting the emitter. And surprisingly when I played back the video I wasn’t, so use to having them on my nose it always feels like they are there

Great Jordan! Glad it helped you, the pommel looks great!

Sculpt nouveau has a new chemical out, once I get some extra money I want to try that one on something

A14 works great but is expensive!

Yup! I am afraid of hardened steel.. a hammer is really strong and can punch nails into all kinds of woods. Hit to hammers tip to tip together and they can dangerously shatter in a grenade like way...

And I don’t know about everyone else but I don’t want to lose an eye

Safety glasses are a must, I honestly thought I was wearing them when denting the emitter. And surprisingly when I played back the video I wasn’t, so use to having them on my nose it always feels like they are there

Yeah I buy it by the gallon. It's super pricey.
Oh really? I havent noticed anything new.
Is it a new alum patina or one for steel?

Wicked!!!

I catch myself pushing up or otherwise adjusting the bridge of my glasses multiple times a day - when I'm wearing contacts. ​Those ghost sensations are real. :)

Great video Halliwax! :thumbsup
You just might have changed my mind about denting up my emitter.
Where as before I was freaked out by the thought of it.... now I think it's doable. :D

I know you havent gotten to the clamp yet, but I wanted to share something. I just got a spanking clean Bright Satin Romans clamp and roughed it up a bit with some scotchbrite.

However, to get the rust patterns that we see in the V2 shots, I took a small dremel stone, lightly drew the rust spots into the clamp, and then went over them with Birchwood Permablue paste, and tada! Accurate rust patterns. It also gave some brown color to the inner fold where the old clamp bar would be, which I believe is also accurate.

I also found with Romans clamp on this saber that I had to bend the clamp teeth inward with a vice to get it anywhere near being able to hold the circuit board. Also worth noting, Romans clamp nut comes out nice and dark already once you bend and pull it out of the clamp bar.

FullSizeRender-6.jpeg

Last edited:

I know you havent gotten to the clamp yet, but I wanted to share something. I just got a spanking clean Bright Satin Romans clamp and roughed it up a bit with some scotchbrite.

However, to get the rust patterns that we see in the V2 shots, I took a small dremel stone, lightly drew the rust spots into the clamp, and then went over them with Birchwood Permablue paste, and tada! Accurate rust patterns. It also gave some brown color to the inner fold where the old clamp bar would be, which I believe is also accurate.

I also found with Romans clamp on this saber that I had to bend the clamp teeth inward with a vice to get it anywhere near being able to hold the circuit board. Also worth noting, Romans clamp nut comes out nice and dark already once you bend and pull it out of the clamp bar.

View attachment 820990

Lol you beat me too it!! I did this late the other night

faa7313b8c7eac8ffe59e4418868f907.heic

Kylash that is a beautiful job replicating the rust scar!

Bit of an image dump but I think I'm done with the finishing ...for now :D Most recent addition is real rust in the 'grenade' grooves. I'm pretty sure it can't be rust on the real thing cos aluminum doesn't rust, but it sure looks like it so that's what I did!

IMG_8637.JPGIMG_8639.JPGIMG_8642.JPGIMG_8643.JPGIMG_8644.JPGIMG_8645.JPGIMG_8652.JPGIMG_8649.JPGIMG_8647.JPGIMG_8646.JPGIMG_8653.JPG

Beautiful job tom! I’ve been playing around with fillers earth in between the grenade rings

This was my “one last trick” I’ve been mentioning

Not yet mastered it but getting closer

47fa85398c7cb64af2376345772a4369.heic

With the flash
be7976822ee2603f16daffbd88938d64.heic

Still need more practice

Gorgeous Tom!

Anyone else think this looks like teeth marks from a pliers?

View attachment 821263

I’ve been debating this for awhile, I think it might be milling marks or something.. I don’t know what I’m actually seeing but I see what ur saying

Bit of an image dump but I think I'm done with the finishing ...for now :D Most recent addition is real rust in the 'grenade' grooves. I'm pretty sure it can't be rust on the real thing cos aluminum doesn't rust, but it sure looks like it so that's what I did!

View attachment 821204View attachment 821194View attachment 821195View attachment 821196View attachment 821197View attachment 821198View attachment 821202View attachment 821201View attachment 821200View attachment 821199View attachment 821203

Well, now I have to go to the hospital after my chin hit the floor............................

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back