Man of Steel (Post-release)

I find it interesting that some of the folks that dislike the fact that zod was killed are forgetting Superman 2 and this little bit of comicbook history
2933207-murder2_copy.jpg

Attachments

• 2933207-murder2_copy.jpg
    2933207-murder2_copy.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 148
Clark knew about the scout ship from the diner scene. The army guys were talking about the mysterious UFO find in the ice. Shortly after that, he's off on the road hitchhiking to get there. Think his name was Joe at the diner.

Favorite part of that scene was the idiot trucker trying to push Clark, and pretty much just bouncing off and looking surprised.

Chris

I just saw Man of Steel and liked it very much, and want to see it again. I've scanned this thread and didn't see anything about this question, so sorry if it was already discussed. Did Superman save the family from Zod incinerating them at the end? My opinion is no. I think that's what gave him the strength (and anger) to kill Zod.

lol I thought someone might post that- I have seen that before but don't really consider it canon. I love how the police show up at Superman's fortress of solitude.... :lol
I think that's a deleted scene for a good reason.

Batman doesn't have the police come to his cave to pick up criminals does he? ;)

Anyway the above posted comic further makes my point

So you admit, the actual situation presented, Superman had no other choice? IF the Phantom Zone was available, or that there was SOME way to contain Zod, then I'd agree with you that Superman WOULD use that method to deal with Zod. But there was NO way for him to otherwise stop Zod at that point. Look back to the farm fight where Superman was pounding on Zod as HARD as he could, but Zod was only stopped when his mask was breached. After he had gotten to the point he could handle Earth's atmosphere, he was not going to be contained by any human technology, and all the Kryptonian hardware was smoldering wrecks. There was simply no other choice for Superman. He didn't do it willingly, or eagerly, it clearly and significantly bothered him killing Zod. If he had done it gleefully

The situation Superman was in - evil guy who threatened to kill everyone as soon as the opportunity presented itself is nothing new. Superman has figured out ways to deal with it without killing the guy during his 75yr run.

The movie does give you some things to reflect on...like who the **** goes to save a dog when everyone is safe?:facepalm

Overall, liked the movie, but OMG... this moment pulled me out of the movie so badly and the writing for this part was so utterly idiotic that I actually had difficulty reengaging afterwards. A pivotal moment in Kal's life came because his father died... for a dog. A DOG! Now, I love my dog quite a bit, but COME ON!!! This reminded me of the WTF moment in Into Darkness when Kirk "dies." I just want to say "if you guys aren't taking this movie seriously, I am out."

I didn't view it as him dying for a dog. He put his life in jeopardy for a dog yes, but he died to protect his sons secret, not for a dog.

A secret that the manager at IHOP and everyone else on the schoolbus probably figured out. Lois figured it out rather quickly. Prob not worth dying for.

I'm in the middle on this one, leaning towards not completely lovin' it. It just felt like:

Spectacle. Spectacle. Spectacle. Spectacle. plot. Spectacle.plot. Spectacle.

I rewatched superman returns before watching Man Of Steel, and boy did MOS have a grand scope. I think we shouldn't be complaining since there is a century parting both movies, MOS is so far ahead it is unbelievable, did it have it's problems? ofcourse. Was it a perfect movie? No. There is a lot of room to improve for the sequel, however as I said, we really shouldn't complain at all, because IMO, we just watched the best superman movie of all time so far.

The situation Superman was in - evil guy who threatened to kill everyone as soon as the opportunity presented itself is nothing new. Superman has figured out ways to deal with it without killing the guy during his 75yr run.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I mentioned about a dozen times where he's killed or allowed people to be killed in my post above, but remember that this is his first outing as Superman. Hell, he doesn't even GET the nickname until the very end portion of the movie.

He hasn't been practicing to be a hero, he ISN'T the Superman we all know and love at this point. He's basically the equivalent of Clark leaving the fortress for the first time in the 78 movie, except instead of robbers and terrorists to deal with, he's got an extremely pissed off guy who can literally destroy the world.

Human security measures aren't going to be able to hold him, there's no kryptonite to depower him, there's no kryptonian anything laying around help, there's no security bots left, everything is wrecked. There's Superman, Zod, and a WHOLE lotta squishy humans. Hell, even Emil died in the plane crash so the TOP SCIENTIST in the comics that figures out all this crap just bit it in a singularity based fireball. If he leaves for just a moment, Zod vanishes and starts playing "squish the humans", so it's not like he can up and vanish to go see if he can scavenge something from any of the wreckage.

At that moment, he literally begs Zod to stop, because if he doesn't, Supes knows he's the only thing that can stop him. He's tried knocking him out, and so far that's just caused a wrecked city and more time for Zod to suck up solar radiation and start wrecking things more easily and become that much harder to beat.

When Zod doesn't back down, pop goes the vertebra.

Again, HE ISN'T SUPERMAN AT THIS POINT. He's a kid from Kansas who is doing the best he can to keep the world from being torn apart. Maybe once he gets some years on him and some experience he can be the Superman we all know and love, but for right now, he's just coming into his powers.

Side note, I can't recall if we ever got a "cold breath/super breath" moment in the movie. Lots of heat vision, flying, and smashing stuff though.

Chris

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I mentioned about a dozen times where he's killed or allowed people to be killed in my post above, but remember that this is his first outing as Superman. Hell, he doesn't even GET the nickname until the very end portion of the movie.

He hasn't been practicing to be a hero, he ISN'T the Superman we all know and love at this point. He's basically the equivalent of Clark leaving the fortress for the first time in the 78 movie, except instead of robbers and terrorists to deal with, he's got an extremely pissed off guy who can literally destroy the world.

Human security measures aren't going to be able to hold him, there's no kryptonite to depower him, there's no kryptonian anything laying around help, there's no security bots left, everything is wrecked. There's Superman, Zod, and a WHOLE lotta squishy humans. Hell, even Emil died in the plane crash so the TOP SCIENTIST in the comics that figures out all this crap just bit it in a singularity based fireball. If he leaves for just a moment, Zod vanishes and starts playing "squish the humans", so it's not like he can up and vanish to go see if he can scavenge something from any of the wreckage.

At that moment, he literally begs Zod to stop, because if he doesn't, Supes knows he's the only thing that can stop him. He's tried knocking him out, and so far that's just caused a wrecked city and more time for Zod to suck up solar radiation and start wrecking things more easily and become that much harder to beat.

When Zod doesn't back down, pop goes the vertebra.

Again, HE ISN'T SUPERMAN AT THIS POINT. He's a kid from Kansas who is doing the best he can to keep the world from being torn apart. Maybe once he gets some years on him and some experience he can be the Superman we all know and love, but for right now, he's just coming into his powers.

Side note, I can't recall if we ever got a "cold breath/super breath" moment in the movie. Lots of heat vision, flying, and smashing stuff though.

Chris

You can't just say "He isn't Superman yet" without knowing what Goyer and Nolan are going for - maybe he is. If he's not - what more do you expect to be on the way for him to become Superman? It's like the argument Kirk isn't Kirk yet - he will be. When? Two movies in and he's not changed one bit. iIt's just a way to cover any blemishes and proceed onward - broken moral compass or not. As far as I'm concerned - he becomes Superman the minute he floats out and says "Let me help you with this". wearing that costume. I understand the POV of people here who feel Superman's killing of Zod was not just okay but absolutely necessary. I not only think it wasn't but feel the move was made simply to remove the so called "corniness" people seem to associate with the character. Same reason they removed the trunks. Doing this may get in that oh so important crowd of teens who wear their pants halfway down their butt to scream out "That's so Raven!!" But I'll tell you what else it does - it takes away from Superman and what made him unique. He's always had the ability to kill -- could probably wipe ou the world and make it back in time for Fruity Pebbles, but the fact that he didn't or wouldn't or couldn't kill made him special.

Slight change of subject but did anyone else notice Henry Cavill's face morph into Christopher Reeve while under the second Kryptonian machine near the end ( it was subtle but definitely there).?
Thought it was a nice touch.....:)

Well my wife and I went to the premiere here in Jersey (UK) last Friday. Didn't manage to get too close to the celebs but still got some nice shots. The three of them ( Cavill, Crow and Adams) came into our theatre to give a little speech before the film started. Russell was on good form and had the crowd laughing before the other two came in.
Apparently they went to all ten screens to talk, I'm told that Russell entered one singing Les Mis.

bd51b06a1b332ebfbc4f8ed50727e324_zpsec1a3d4f.jpg

48b6f057a2dff59b928a6ae799ac1756_zpsc7e7c678.jpg

b3fafb0e5bd7cbd3cf0233a15a69d4a9_zpsce05ea26.jpg

1ec124b91bfdb2ef0ddefeaf213bb8f3_zps3ef3d38c.jpg

ac455ef39fc91875382e7a5c12495a9f_zpsb00c0e4a.jpg

81370472fceacf8798f5333d570ee747_zpsbce3c5ba.jpg

As for the movie itself, well, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as what went on before it. I loved the first 2 thirds of the movie but then, for me, it descended into a Michael Bay movie.
I liked that they spent a lot of time on Krypton but it felt like Clarks transition into Superman was rushed or sacrificed to fit all the Krypton stuff in.
The young Clark flashbacks were nice and Pa Kent's final scene was especially powerful. But then like I said the film just went a bit down hill for me. My wife came out saying she got 'buildings blowing up' fatigue and I'd have to agree.
That being said I thought all then main actors performances were strong and I especially liked Crow's Jor-El.

First of all... did anyone notice that when Zod and his posse were frozen on Krypton and started to float up to the jail ship, they all looked like giant d i l d o s? GIANT D I L D O S!!!

But back on topic, I enjoyed the film immensely. Although I know a lot of people didn't like the ridiculously long figh sequences, I feel like they were executed perfectly (aside from the length of some of them). They felt like insane comic book fight scenes, and for years, I've wanted to see Superman really punch things. And we finally got that. Yes, Metropolis was completely destroyed, and yes, perhaps they went a bit overboard with that, but with Kryptonians beating the snot out of each other like that, we finally get a live-action showing of how ridiculously powerful Supes is.

There were plotholes, sure, and I wish that Clark's origin story was a little more fleshed out (although I do appreciate the fact that we see him restrain himself against bullies), but my god, who in Smallville wouldn't know that he's Superman with the amount of superhuman things Clak has done as a child? done. He even tells that general that he grew up in Kansas. He could do a few interviews with people like Lois did and find out who raised him.

Slight change of subject but did anyone else notice Henry Cavill's face morph into Christopher Reeve while under the second Kryptonian machine near the end ( it was subtle but definitely there).?
Thought it was a nice touch.....:)

My buddy and I thought the exact same. Had to be on purpose. Good nod to CR. Subtle but nice.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back