Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Yeah, the big problem, as I've said elsewhere either in this thread or others (or both -- I lose track), is release order. Marvel's success with the MCU has largely been due to starting with Iron Man in '08 and then going ever forward. Some films are flashbacks, but contextualized in sequence. Even Ant-man & The Wasp, which you should really see, @CutThumb -- it ties into Infinity War, while easing the emotion of the end of IW doesn't negate it, and quite likely hints at how things will be resolved in Avengers 4. It's neither fluff nor filler.

Meanwhile, Lucasfilm seems scattershot and without master plan because of that very same factor -- sequence. Can lay the blame for that at George's feet. Not so much bad as inevitable. By him choosing to take from the middle of his notes for what he thought was going to be his one filmic chance to visit that universe. So it was already borked from the get-go, should he ever have and take the opportunity to go back and do the earlier stuff. Then Clone Wars went back to between Episodes II and III. Then he left Lucasfilm with notes as to where to take the story following ROTJ.

So when viewed as a whole, starting in the middle, jumping back to the beginning, jumping back again a little to tell more out of the middle of that first part, jumping ahead to tell what happens way after the end of the middle, jumping back to tell what happens just before the middle, jumping back up to continue with the "after" era, jumping back again to tell a story from between the beginning and middle, jumping forward again to revisit what happens next, jumping back again to fill in a little of what happens between the end of the middle and the beginning of the after... Whew. No wonder it looks directionless.

I can accept it as almost a pontillistic exercise, filling in portions everywhere as the whole gradually takes shape. But I do wish it were linear from the start in the '70s.

Last edited:

Pretty sure it was referenced many times before but here's what Daisy said:
"Here’s what I think I know. JJ (Abrams) wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII and IX. Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote The Last Jedi entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realises his film in his own way. Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII.".

When you look at TLJ, most of the stuff set up in TFA gets a payoff. As I pointed out earlier. The Art of the Last Jedi's first chapters is for artwork presented at a big meeting that included George that shows that the Luke/Kira (Rey) stuff was mapped out before TFA even had a title or a director. For instance, a big one for some people was that they killed off Snoke. But Snoke from the beginning was meant to be Wizard of Oz/man behind the curtain like. His name Snoke is a play on smoke and mirrors.

But for funs here is some differences I could think of. Snoke survives and lives until 9. Luke doesn't die until 9. Finn and Poe have a fling. Rey doesn't try to redeem Kylo.

So the biggest new inclusions where probably Holdo and Rose. Canto Bight seems to trace its origins from some unused stuff for TFA.

At the minute Star Wars is broken,....Disney are in crisis mode

J

I don't agree with you.

And I'm not the only one.

In fact, I doubt that I'm in the minority... though we can't be sure of that either way. Had you said "at the minute Star Wars is broken IN MY OPINION" I'd have nothing to say.

I don't mean to quarrel with you...only to point out that just because someone says something is broken doesn't make it so for everyone else that doesn't share that opinion.

When you look at TLJ, most of the stuff set up in TFA gets a payoff. As I pointed out earlier. The Art of the Last Jedi's first chapters is for artwork presented at a big meeting that included George that shows that the Luke/Kira (Rey) stuff was mapped out before TFA even had a title or a director. For instance, a big one for some people was that they killed off Snoke. But Snoke from the beginning was meant to be Wizard of Oz/man behind the curtain like. His name Snoke is a play on smoke and mirrors.

But for funs here is some differences I could think of. Snoke survives and lives until 9. Luke doesn't die until 9. Finn and Poe have a fling. Rey doesn't try to redeem Kylo.

So the biggest new inclusions where probably Holdo and Rose. Canto Bight seems to trace its origins from some unused stuff for TFA.

No offense mate but despite stating that you like a good argument you just keep repeating your own stuff or redirecting the discussion into a direction where you can keep repeating your own stuff. Maybe that's a good argument these days...
I have no idea where this "things set up in TFA do have a payoff in TLJ" thing suddenly came into the discussion and what relevance it has to the previous conversation.
You asked why Jaitea thinks JJ's ideas were thrown out and I quoted Daisy saying just that.

No offense mate but despite stating that you like a good argument you just keep repeating your own stuff or redirecting the discussion into a direction where you can keep repeating your own stuff. Maybe that's a good argument these days...
I have no idea where this "things set up in TFA do have a payoff in TLJ" thing suddenly came into the discussion and what relevance it has to the previous conversation.
You asked why Jaitea thinks JJ's ideas were thrown out and I quoted Daisy saying just that.

I don't mean to repeat myself. How am I supposed to know if read all of my previous post? You did only quote a the end of it:D

The whole TFA stuff pays off in TLJ. Suggests that not everything was thrown away, does it not? I mean we know JJ and Rian collaborated. In fact JJ was little bit jealous of the movie Rian wrote and wished he had gotten a chance to direct it.

I don't agree with you.

And I'm not the only one.

In fact, I doubt that I'm in the minority... though we can't be sure of that either way. Had you said "at the minute Star Wars is broken IN MY OPINION" I'd have nothing to say.

I don't mean to quarrel with you...only to point out that just because someone says something is broken doesn't make it so for everyone else that doesn't share that opinion.

Yep,....I should have said in my opinion.....but,...hopefully in a few years time things will be healthy & on the right track,...perhaps then folks will be able to look back and acknowledge that there was a dip in quality

J

I don't mean to repeat myself. How am I supposed to know if read all of my previous post? You did only quote a the end of it:D

The whole TFA stuff pays off in TLJ. Suggests that not everything was thrown away, does it not? I mean we know JJ and Rian collaborated. In fact JJ was little bit jealous of the movie Rian wrote and wished he had gotten a chance to direct it.
Okay man.

Meanwhile, Lucasfilm seems scattershot and without master plan because of that very same factor -- sequence. Can lay the blame for that at George's feet. Not so much bad as inevitable. By him choosing to take from the middle of his notes for what he thought was going to be his one filmic chance to visit that universe. So it was already borked from the get-go, should he ever have and take the opportunity to go back and do the earlier stuff. Then Clone Wars went back to between Episodes II and III. Then he left Lucasfilm with notes as to where to take the story following ROTJ.

Yes this doesn't help.....there were folks that genuinely didn't understand that Rogue One went wayyy back to before Ep 4.....they thought that Jyn was Rey & were complaining.....ANOTHER DEATH STAR!!!

J

Except that while somethings should pay off in part 2 of a trilogy, not ALL of them should. There aren't any open story lines left that demand a 3rd flick. 7 and 8 play out as their own subset in largely the way 2 and 3 did. The bad guys won and a few good guys escaped to fight another day. That was the end of that portion. Exact same thing played out in 7 and 8.

If you like, you can cite the same thing in the OT. ANH is stand alone. Nothing is raised there that isn't pretty much resolved aside from vader riding off at the end. 5 and 6 tie together very well (and tie together well with 4), but everything was tied up for the most part at 6. Again, with it being the end of a trilogy, that's fine.

You don't close all your plot lines from the first part of a trilogy in the second part. You just don't. Not if you expect people to see the 3rd part. Right now, IX can be largely described as what GL said about a sequel trilogy after ROTJ and prior to the prequels. "So what do i have Luke do next?". He didn't have an answer. That's all that's really left for IX, "what does Rey do next?".When the third act of your three act story has nothing that HAS to happen, you messed up.

I guarantee you no one's plan for 7 through 9 entailed wrapping up all story lines at the end of 8.

Except that while somethings should pay off in part 2 of a trilogy, not ALL of them should. There aren't any open story lines left that demand a 3rd flick. 7 and 8 play out as their own subset in largely the way 2 and 3 did. The bad guys won and a few good guys escaped to fight another day. That was the end of that portion. Exact same thing played out in 7 and 8.

If you like, you can cite the same thing in the OT. ANH is stand alone. Nothing is raised there that isn't pretty much resolved aside from vader riding off at the end. 5 and 6 tie together very well (and tie together well with 4), but everything was tied up for the most part at 6. Again, with it being the end of a trilogy, that's fine.

You don't close all your plot lines from the first part of a trilogy in the second part. You just don't. Not if you expect people to see the 3rd part. Right now, IX can be largely described as what GL said about a sequel trilogy after ROTJ and prior to the prequels. "So what do i have Luke do next?". He didn't have an answer. That's all that's really left for IX, "what does Rey do next?".When the third act of your three act story has nothing that HAS to happen, you messed up.

I guarantee you no one's plan for 7 through 9 entailed wrapping up all story lines at the end of 8.

I agree with about 90% of what you said. Personally I'm more interested in what's going to happen with Ben and the Knights of Ren. Kylo was by far my favorite part of TLJ. And i guess I'm interested to see Poe in his new leadership position. The only way Rey could made more interesting is if they pull on the she went straight for the Dark Side thread.

Actually just thinking, this would be a great time to see someone in the movies put a lightsaber together.

Yes, I agree Star Wars is broken and Disney are in crisis mode.

And I`m not the only one.

To you maybe. But I'm over here having the time of my life with the new Star Wars. Buying cool merchandise, pulling my hair out trying to replicate props (thank you RPF:love) I feel sorry for you guys, I really do. Hopefully, we can find something, someday we all like?

So your the one that`s been buying the merchandise, glad that`s been cleared up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, I'm a huge fan of the originals, but I didn't want the sequels to just repeat the beats of the originals. I know generally how that goes in other franchises, and over time, the whole thing just starts to feel really stale. Oh, sure it's still entertaining, but it's just another variation on the formula, until the formula itself isn't really much fun anymore. I was really glad that TLJ seemed to really change things up, and -- unlike if we were just reiterating the OT -- I have NO idea where the story is headed next, and I'm really excited about that! Would I have been happy if it just aped the OT? Actually, probably not. I'd have been...you know...ok with it. I would've liked it better than the PT, probably, but I think I would've seen it as a wasted opportunity.

We can all unite in our disdain for the Ewok Adventure, though. And I have never met anyone who liked the novels Children of the Jedi or The Crystal Star.
Crystal Star was bruuuuuutal. Children of the Jedi only slightly less so.

To you maybe. But I'm over here having the time of my life with the new Star Wars. Buying cool merchandise, pulling my hair out trying to replicate props (thank you RPF:love) I feel sorry for you guys, I really do. Hopefully, we can find something, someday we all like?
I think we all love props, models and costumes. ; )

I watch the OOT in HD on a regular basis, I don't care what George decided he wanted years after the fact. Star Wars (the film not the franchise) remains as awesome as ever. I don't need Disney to rerelease it but I'd buy a Blu Ray if they did. ;)

I do agree with you.

And im not the only one.

Yep. Very likely irreparably broken. The numbers don't lie. Fan reaction doesn't lie. And, for anyone still in denial, Disney's actions at trying to shore up the damage don't lie. It's about as bad a prognosis as could be. Embrace the horror. I'm sure there were people on the Titanic disagreeing that it would sink, too. But, reality has its way every time.

I didn’t love TLJ, but what’s the evidence of these claims? People complaining online is not a datametric. The only solid evidence there is, is Solo’s box office take. But that alone is a single data point.

I didn’t love TLJ, but what’s the evidence of these claims? People complaining online is not a datametric. The only solid evidence there is, is Solo’s box office take. But that alone is a single data point.

People keep pointing to Solo less then stellar performance as a result of TLJ. And I'm sure some of that was the driving force for some. From my personal experience. Only half of my friends went to Solo. The other half liked and even loved TLJ, just weren't interested in a Han Solo film. And add in other big movies that they wanted to go to, and just life in general getting in the way. People just didn't go, not because they hated TLJ, just didn't have the time/money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back