1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

echo floor1.jpegecho floor2.jpegI thought since it's going to snow this weekend (Arizona in August) in my garage, I may as well set all the pieces that will be glued down, the walls, round house, cave, etc and tape off the floor so after the snow I can peel the tape up and glue everything down. Will use lasebond for the ships and gantries so I can easily pry them off if need be, the walls, cave and round house will be stuck permanent with Flex-glue.

View attachment 834346View attachment 834347I thought since it's going to snow this weekend (Arizona in August) in my garage, I may as well set all the pieces that will be glued down, the walls, round house, cave, etc and tape off the floor so after the snow I can peel the tape up and glue everything down. Will use lasebond for the ships and gantries so I can easily pry them off if need be, the walls, cave and round house will be stuck permanent with Flex-glue.

That's some serious patience needed to put down all that tape! You're getting close on this one... looking forward to seeing it snow in Arizona in August!

Wasn't too bad, placement of major components was a back and forth. I started another speeder and have one more to do which I will attempt to build as a moderate crash damage. I've got a few of the German tanker troops that have the appearance of being perplexed by something so I decided to have a wrecked speeder with them standing around looking at it. There's also in the rebel pilot set, one that's his hand on his head as if thinking "oh $#!t" so he'll be with the frustrated technicians. Should be a pretty funny and interesting little scene all it's own. This is gonna be a really "busy" diorama. I just hope it all comes together as I imagine it :confused
That's some serious patience needed to put down all that tape! You're getting close on this one... looking forward to seeing it snow in Arizona in August!

hey dude! yeah, did a small test last night but didn't take pics, but it looks like it will do nicely. Thing is, I need more testing. you spritz the glue, then sprinkle, then spritz again to hold it. But, at what point is the best to do foot print trails? Also, I have yet to scratch up the anti-slip pads, or plates. I'm thinking to make them look authentic, I'll need to put down a layer, set the slip plates, lightly spritz the plates, then sprinkle a bit more ON the plates and light spritz again. I surely don't want to ruin the base floor by screwing up the process. I got tomorrow off for the IPMS convention. International plastic Modelers Society. it's in phoenix this year. When I get home I'll do more testing, and then this weekend get the molds out and make some parts :thumbsup
That's excellent news! Looking forward to seeing your testing results... I will have to keep it in mind for some future projects...

hey dude! yeah, did a small test last night but didn't take pics, but it looks like it will do nicely. Thing is, I need more testing. you spritz the glue, then sprinkle, then spritz again to hold it. But, at what point is the best to do foot print trails? Also, I have yet to scratch up the anti-slip pads, or plates. I'm thinking to make them look authentic, I'll need to put down a layer, set the slip plates, lightly spritz the plates, then sprinkle a bit more ON the plates and light spritz again. I surely don't want to ruin the base floor by screwing up the process. I got tomorrow off for the IPMS convention. International plastic Modelers Society. it's in phoenix this year. When I get home I'll do more testing, and then this weekend get the molds out and make some parts :thumbsup

The IPMS is something I'd love to see... maybe next year... You'll have to post pictures of the event... Should be some interesting stuff on display!

wreaked speeder.JPGyou kinda get the idea from this quickly thrown together scene. I other news, The IPMS was pretty good, LOTS of military stuff, planes, tanks and such, some awesome builds...but alas, not much si-fi and very little SW. I should have taken my ISD and The MPC Falcon. I bet I woulda placed pretty well. Very few models with lights...only a handful at most. I did take some pics of some really nice stuff though. Thinking I'll post them on the on this other thread that I'll link shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=106565 this is the "post anything thread, but I'll do the show pics a bit later.

astromech1.jpegastromech2.jpeggot some cleanup and more work to do on the R4 and blue R2 and just started the yellow one. painting with a helping hands mag-glass is the only way I can do this, and with severely sharpened tooth picks, but at times I still can get a straight, thin line. But, ultimately, these really are good enough for who they're for :lol

- - - Updated - - -

as you can clearly see, I go a lot more droids to paint and each is taking me a hour or so.

Super paintwork mate , I admire your seemingly patient attitude and attention to detail on all of these figures ! :thumbsup What type of paint did you end up using for the metallic domes ?
I just finished up my attempts on the C3P0 & R2 one’s from the ‘ Imperial Assault ‘ range to go with my Deago MF - not sure where they’ll end up eventually as yet though ? :$
They were a challenge for me ( needed to use magnifying headwear ) , and they’re at a larger scale than what you and @korben44 are currently working on too ! :eek

Colour me super impressed ! ;)

:cheers
Ged

Thanks Ged, though I think I can do better. Blakeh sent me picks of a couple 1/72's he did...unreal how clean and correct they are...he knows his stuff. I suppose it just takes practice. perhaps by the time I get to the last of them they'll look a little better. I'll tell you one thing for sure, for super detail 1/72 droids...3D Falcon is the way to go, whatever different approach Gus takes to his, as opposed to the others on Shapeways is night and day. Gus clearly has the superior droid design...hands down.
Super paintwork mate , I admire your seemingly patient attitude and attention to detail on all of these figures ! :thumbsup What type of paint did you end up using for the metallic domes ?
I just finished up my attempts on the C3P0 & R2 one’s from the ‘ Imperial Assault ‘ range to go with my Deago MF - not sure where they’ll end up eventually as yet though ? :$
They were a challenge for me ( needed to use magnifying headwear ) , and they’re at a larger scale than what you and @korben44 are currently working on too ! :eek

Ged

Thanks Kris,
I'm going to try to do them all myself hoping to get better with these the more I do. Did them under a mag with 350 readers but I need better still. I should have your stuff ready towards the end of the week. I still need to re-do a few pieces and domestic unrest got in the way over the weekend.
That's a fleet of droids! Luckily for me I can see extremely well up close... If you need some help, ship some out to me and I'll paint them for you...lol...I'd be more than happy to help!

- - - Updated - - -

Almost forgot...I taped off the bodies and shot the heads with testors aluminum buffing metalizer. then cut some tubing to go over the heads to shoot the bodies, worked pretty good because regular silver paint was NOT going to get it done.

Ged

you know...I looked around at all this stuff I've already built for this dio...I'm beginning to wonder if there will be enough room for all of it in the space I've given myself to work with...:wacko:confused

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back