Sideshow Life-size Darth Vader.

Brent I would love to have a crack at making a vader like yours but to be honest I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to begin. Plus living in Australia adds another layer of difficulty to the situation.

It definitely requires a LOT of time, patience and money. I had to source parts from around the world, wait several months for the custom mannequin and base to be built and deal with a very difficult individual on the painting of the helmet and armor. There were a couple of times when I just wanted to throw in the towel and give up on the project, but thankfully I saw it through because ultimately I ended up with the exact display piece I wanted. :cool

I may start making tentative steps towards building my own display so prepare yourself for a few pms so I can pick your brain in regards to suppliers and whom to avoid!

I'd be happy to help as much as I can. It's been a while since I did the project and I didn't keep detailed notes so I remember some of the suppliers, but not all. :unsure

didn't sideshow already offered a life size vader awhile back with like interchangeable hands and posable?
i remember seeing the rpf video interview with Gino on youtube about it.

vader95.jpg

400184press03jpg-6e522a_640w.jpg

They showed off that thing at conventions for like 3 years, but it never made it to production so they "re-tooled" for a couple years and came back with this new one. The old one wasn't perfect either, but was still a lot better than what they're displaying now.

I'm upgrading my Vader to an ANH variant and need some help. Right now, I want to upgrade the cape and surcoat, as well as get ANH gloves - but can't find any source for these beyond some Argentinian source on eBay. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
I think Sideshow probably knows exactly who they're selling this thing to. Not those of us here whipping out the measuring tapes, analyzing which style of codpiece was used and how thick it is, and comparing the physique of the Sideshow piece against the bodybuilder who wore the suit.

I think it's fair to assume that the vast majority of such people will want to make their own statues to their liking, like Brent has, to great effect. Sideshow can't please those people in any reasonable scenario, so why try? Like everything else Sideshow produces, absolute adherence to film accuracy easily gives way to artistic license, decided by who knows who. I think many people will be happy to be able to get something like this without jumping through all of the hoops that the other route requires.

I'm upgrading my Vader to an ANH variant and need some help. Right now, I want to upgrade the cape and surcoat, as well as get ANH gloves - but can't find any source for these beyond some Argentinian source on eBay. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you aren't on the SLD go there, this is the place for all things Vader. Some of the best experts can be found here.
http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?act=idx

CP and Fenix Props [Argentina] are some of the best vendors actually. You can find more info and review on their stuff on the SLD forums.
Some other vendors are highly recommend as well for Capes and soft parts but the wait list can be long up to a years time on some items.

Endor Finder makes some really impressive ANH gloves, check em out here.
http://www.endorfinders.com/product/anh-r1-vader-gloves

I think Sideshow probably knows exactly who they're selling this thing to. Not those of us here whipping out the measuring tapes, analyzing which style of codpiece was used and how thick it is, and comparing the physique of the Sideshow piece against the bodybuilder who wore the suit.

I think it's fair to assume that the vast majority of such people will want to make their own statues to their liking, like Brent has, to great effect. Sideshow can't please those people in any reasonable scenario, so why try? Like everything else Sideshow produces, absolute adherence to film accuracy easily gives way to artistic license, decided by who knows who. I think many people will be happy to be able to get something like this without jumping through all of the hoops that the other route requires.

I've noticed that with the "human" characters. I was actually thinking of purchasing the life size Artoo. Anyone know what the consensus on the accuracy of that piece is? It doesn't seem like there's a lot of artistic license when you're dealing with droids.

If you aren't on the SLD go there, this is the place for all things Vader. Some of the best experts can be found here.
http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?act=idx

CP and Fenix Props [Argentina] are some of the best vendors actually. You can find more info and review on their stuff on the SLD forums.
Some other vendors are highly recommend as well for Capes and soft parts but the wait list can be long up to a years time on some items.

Endor Finder makes some really impressive ANH gloves, check em out here.
http://www.endorfinders.com/product/anh-r1-vader-gloves
Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually surprised that Fenix Props is legit - just so much junk out there on eBay that I figured they were as well.

Will check out those other sites.

I was wondering if there is a trick (Velcro, tape) to get the cape to lay flush on the armor and not crease. Or does this happen naturally with a heavy cape?

I've noticed that with the "human" characters. I was actually thinking of purchasing the life size Artoo. Anyone know what the consensus on the accuracy of that piece is? It doesn't seem like there's a lot of artistic license when you're dealing with droids.

If you REALLY want an R2 Unit.. Build one yourself. For a little work, a lot less money, you can build a full sized, radio controlled R2-D2. Astromech.net

If you REALLY want an R2 Unit.. Build one yourself. For a little work, a lot less money, you can build a full sized, radio controlled R2-D2. Astromech.net
Sigh.... I know, I know. I'm probably on the wrong site for this kind of stuff but I'm just not a prop builder. I don't have the time or the mechanical inclination for that kind of project. If someone wanted to make me one I'd buy it off them in a heartbeat. But I know the rules. I do work for Disney and Lucasfilm so I know ALL about the rules

Sigh.... I know, I know. I'm probably on the wrong site for this kind of stuff but I'm just not a prop builder. I don't have the time or the mechanical inclination for that kind of project. If someone wanted to make me one I'd buy it off them in a heartbeat. But I know the rules. I do work for Disney and Lucasfilm so I know ALL about the rules

I know, and Understand. My wife wanted a Droid, and so she set out to build one after Celebration IV. Took her 7 years, but she did it. No skills, no aptitude or the like. You can always see if there's a local chapter near you, and talk to them.

I know, and Understand. My wife wanted a Droid, and so she set out to build one after Celebration IV. Took her 7 years, but she did it. No skills, no aptitude or the like. You can always see if there's a local chapter near you, and talk to them.
7 years? Of course it would probably take me that long to do the left tread. And Unfortunately (or fortunately) I live on Maui so not a lot of prop builders locally.

It's not accurate at all. They literally upscaled one of their toys.

I agree with the point that these 1:1 statues probably aren't really marketed to members here. But I think we're all glad these are being offered and things are getting better. If you look at some of the older licensed statues from back in the day they're pretty laughable.

I've got a 1:1 Vader and R2 and if you put them next to the SS pieces you'd quickly see the differences. They take more time and research than the licensed pieces, (for less money) but in the end the accuracy will be a lot better. So there's a trade off.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back