Sideshow Life-size Darth Vader.

Darctic

A while ago sideshow announced that they were doing a life-size Darth Vader. They had it on display at SWCO.

Here are some pics. Now I for the life of me can't see what they were going for as it seems to be all over the place in terms of movie accuracy/style.

17931834_1258174544297635_6254475270724517888_n.jpg

17522829_10154793144259145_4711403713443830548_n.jpg

17904254_10154790275174145_2654135943565578110_n.jpg

1125x682_previewbanner_VaderLifeSize_.jpg

DarthVader-Lifesize-SDCC2016-02.jpg

These are the only images I could find of it so far. It looks really nice but also very strange.
Thoughts?

I've been building my ESB Vader with the same "hands on the belt" pose for the past few months, so I know it too well. haha

The had the SS Vader at Celebration last week. It looks OK, but I did notice a couple potential problems. The hands/gloves seem to be sculpted to hold a rigid pose, so they never really sat right on the belt or boxes.

I also thought that overall Vader looked too small. It just didn't have the Prowse "bodybuilder" size needed.

I've been able to do mine for less than half of what SS will charge. I think it will have a more "real" look, but I certainly understand the market for a "plug n play" piece. Also, it's nice that it's licensed so it should hold it's value pretty well.

IF they ever get made...:)

Well this doesn't make any since to me. [leaving out creative freedom]
Why is he 7' 6"... That's not right at all. lol
Sure a taller Vader is more menacing and can look down on all the peons, but seems a bit too tall for me.

And def if we get into OVD, there are a lot of things off but overall looks like it could be a great Vader with some work.

Looks to be a ANH Vader but the height is way off. Prowse is no more than 7' in costume.
Yup, but as you dig into details you'll start to see its a mix of ANH and ESB with the possibility of a little ROTJ tossed in.

My guess is they got some things and tossed together for the show is all, not caring about version accuracy.

Someone probably said hey: we need this static display asap, and so someone put it together and they are not OVD.

All in all, we'll have to wait to see the final product released version, then we can tear it apart!

Looks to be a ANH Vader but the height is way off. Prowse is no more than 7' in costume.
Not really,

There's so many incosistencies for it to be ANH. The belt boxes/ buckle seem to asume it is a ROTJ belt. The chest armor has a bit of a weird shape to the mid strip. The shoulder armor is not painted like ANH ( shoulder bells look black) and the Cod looks like R1.

Last edited:
Well this doesn't make any since to me. [leaving out creative freedom]
Why is he 7' 6"... That's not right at all. lol
Sure a taller Vader is more menacing and can look down on all the peons, but seems a bit too tall for me.

They're likely including the height of the display platform as well.

They're likely including the height of the display platform as well.
Perhaps, but why anyone would do that is beyond me, everyone knows you don't include the mount/stand in the overall height of a costume.
But maybe here they are since its a static display etc. I could get behind that reasoning for the extra foot I guess lol

Perhaps, but why anyone would do that is beyond me, everyone knows you don't include the mount/stand in the overall height of a costume.
But maybe here they are since its a static display etc. I could get behind that reasoning for the extra foot I guess lol

I believe Hot Toys did the same for their life-size dawn of justice Batman display.

From top to bottom mine is a little over 7'2", but 5" of that height is the base so it puts him about 6'9" in the costume. That is supposedly the accurate height for Prowse in the suit so unless Sideshow's base is 9" tall(which I don't think it is) something is way off.

From top to bottom mine is a little over 7'2", but 5" of that height is the base so it puts him about 6'9" in the costume. That is supposedly the accurate height for Prowse in the suit so unless Sideshow's base is 9" tall(which I don't think it is) something is way off.

Totally agree, I was just making notice of the height they show and it seemed off to me even with a tall stand.
I can see where a stand would add to overall dimensions I just don't get why a company would denote that as obviously its not how tall Vader was nor Prowse. [plenty of debates on that]

I know its nit picking a few inches here and there but its like I said, us OVDs are going to pick it apart and its probably better a company does its foot work before releasing such a
known character. Just feels like a "get us something" for the show kind a deal here is all. Not trying to beat up SideShow just commenting my 2 cents on what I see.
I'd like to see more of it and all the pieces separated.

The height for the Sideshow is likely off. I'm 6'6", and I jump to about 6'10" when I wear my Vader (Not on display, I wear it for the 501'st) between the boots to the top of the dome.

the best I can say about the Sideshow Vader is that it looks like Vader, but far from accurate. Someday, I'll stick mine on a mannequin when I stop wearing it.

the best I can say about the Sideshow Vader is that it looks like Vader, but far from accurate. Someday, I'll stick mine on a mannequin when I stop wearing it.

Yeah, for years I had the Rubies 1:1 Vader and everyone thought it was cool because it was a huge Darth Vader statue. Hell, even I thought it was a pretty awesome display piece. Then I discovered the RPF and realized how wrong I had been. It's pretty shocking when you do a then and now comparison. :lol

100_0988.jpg

20160730_164250.jpg

Brent I would love to have a crack at making a vader like yours but to be honest I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to begin. Plus living in Australia adds another layer of difficulty to the situation.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back